X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DarthPistachio
    • Mar 2012

My Custom Swivel

Hi all - though you might like to see the results of my design and build of a custom swivel.

Pretty soon after starting up speed baggin' I realised that the swivel was crucial and that what I had acquired to date was pretty rubbish. A quick search on the internet led to this place and to the recommendationas of the deville and the powermill.

I discovered to my dismay that the powermill was on a production hold and I was pleased to find that the deville would be available if I wanted to acquire one.

But I fancied a metal one and even though the deville is a swivel I will definitely acquire somewhere down the road - I decided to build a metal one of my own for the time being due to the inavailability of the powermill.

I ordered an everlast plastic setup from the US and had to wait about 2 weeks for it to turn up to use it as a reference for my measurements. - As lathing the whole unit from stock bar of the right size was proving to be difficult - getting hold of bar that diameter at a reasonable price was the problem -- I settled for a more readily avialable diameter stock bar for the central bit and some ready cut round plate off Ebay for about 10 bucks delivered.

After that a bit of work on the lathe and turning a metal ball with a ball turning rig - and some of my favorate glue (JB weld) and it's ready for spraying and mounting to my new platform when it's finally assembled.

I'll do a video when it's all setup - but I warn you - the limits of my ability at the moment are purely just in the beginners stages - no trick stuff yet! Presently my engineering skills - which aren't 'that' great -- far exceed my speed bag skills! LOL
    Attached Files
    Find out a lot about me by visiting these sites:
    Meshweaver - Fabsreptiles
    They say that 1,000 monkeys with 1,000 typewriters will eventually reproduce the works of Shakespeare - now thanks to the internet we know this is not true....
  • Dutchman
    Speed Bag Historian
    • Jun 2006

Nice work. What grade steel do you use?

Comment

• juxt
      Speed Bag Trainee

• Jun 2010

swivel looks nice. cant wait to see it in action

Comment

• Johnny O
        • Apr 2011

Nice job Darth!

Comment

• DarthPistachio
          • Mar 2012

Originally posted by Dutchman View Post
          What grade steel do you use?
          Large diameter plate is mild steel
          the ball cup is slightly higher carbon content - bright mild steel
          and the ball is from stainless bar.

They say that 1,000 monkeys with 1,000 typewriters will eventually reproduce the works of Shakespeare - now thanks to the internet we know this is not true....

Comment

• Speedbag
            Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by DarthPistachio View Post
            Large diameter plate is mild steel
            the ball cup is slightly higher carbon content - bright mild steel
            and the ball is from stainless bar.

Looks excellent DarthP.

I'm imaging you work with steel fabrication for a living? This kind of knowledge and skill, not to mention the equipment to design and make this quality of product, looks to be several levels beyond "hobby". Particularly the eye shank and insert into the ball. unreal workmanship. Looking forward to see how it holds up "on the board and under attack".
            Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
            *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
            The Quest Continues...
            Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• DarthPistachio
              • Mar 2012

Thanks Alan

I started off with an electrical mechanical engineering background and then progressed to 3D design.

I can't take all the credit for this build though - Although I'm capable I assigned the ball turning bit to my mate who has recently finished making his own ball turning jig for his lathe and was itching to make something with it...
              -

I took care of the other sections whilst he whipped it up and he did an excellent job - I'm working on constructing up a G-Code program to run these balls and possibly the swivels off on a CNC lathe - I'll keep you appraised it that comes to any fruition for sure.

Comment

• Speedbag
                Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by DarthPistachio View Post
                Thanks Alan

I started off with an electrical mechanical engineering background and then progressed to 3D design.

I can't take all the credit for this build though - Although I'm capable I assigned the ball turning bit to my mate who has recently finished making his own ball turning jig for his lathe and was itching to make something with it...

I took care of the other sections whilst he whipped it up and he did an excellent job - I'm working on constructing up a G-Code program to run these balls and possibly the swivels off on a CNC lathe - I'll keep you appraised it that comes to any fruition for sure.
                Amazing. If I had an idea what any of that meant I'm sure I would be more impressed than I already am. You had at 3D design.

Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
                *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
                The Quest Continues...
                Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• DarthPistachio
                  • Mar 2012

LOL

The 3D design bit is easy - My engineeering background gave me a major advantage when it came to making stuff in 3D on a computer - you can check out my work here:

http://www.meshweaver.com

A ball turning jig for a lathe does this:
                  This is a video of using a home made ball turning tool on a lathe. The basic design of this tool is provided on Steve Bedair's excellent website. This video...

The G-Code thing :- as you probably know some lathes can be computer controlled - CNC (which stands for Computer Numerical Control) - making the G-Codes means inputting the co-ordinates and cutting dimensions into a linear program that enables the computer to automatically lathe the part for you in a set series of steps with a set sequence of cutting tools automatically without you doing anything manually - just put in the component press start and wait..

Comment

• spinsmashpop
                    Speed Bag Wizard

• Nov 2008

That Swiv looks Badass!
                    Makes me wish I could make one myself ...just so I could name it...
                    "THE SWIV"

Great job! Hope to see it in action soon!!!
                    BAG ON!

Comment

• Biff
                      Speed Bag Wizard

• Feb 2008

Great looking swivel, DP. Waiting to see it action. Post up a vid when you think it's time.

We couldn't find swivels a couple of years ago, now there are three members making them. Feast or famine.

Comment

• Zaza
                        Speed Bag Guru
                        • Apr 2011

I'm with Biff.... next thing you know, I'll be getting in touch with you to make me my next hip joint!

Looks like a great swivel...
                        Art of the Bag - A Speed Bag Story
                        http://www.artofthebag.com

Comment

• OldDog
                          Speed Bag Trainee
                          • Apr 2012

The Darthswivel

Like the design with the deep well and large ball diameter. Are you planning on a plated finish or just bright buffed ? I have been looking at a variety of swivel types and I come back to one like yours that is a good , strong, simple design and probably the best for performance and durability? ? what can I expect to pay to try it over here in Oregon, USA? I am rebuilding an older freestanding platform and replacing the drum, so would really like something someone put their heart into and not just part of a production line.

OldDog

Comment

• DarthPistachio
                            • Mar 2012

Hi

sorry for the delayed reply here - but I've been fighting the worst case of Neuralgia from dental work for the past 4 days - now on antibiotics and painkillers and thankfully clearing up a little.

Top tip: NEVER ever have dental work at the end of the week always schedule for Monday and Tuesday at the very latest in case anything develops!

I've erected my platform and the swivel and tried it out - I also have an everlast basic plastic one and I compared both - I would say that my metal project is much more responsive and reliable - all bias aside and it still needs some bedding in

As soon as my nerves in my jaw and neck have calmed down and I can get back to the bag I'll do a short video and post it here.

I'm looking to constantly evolve this design over time, rather than using an industrial grade glue in future models for example I may use a thicker base circle (if they are available) and machine a self clamping recess for example.

As for plating - on analysis it might look cosmetically good but I fear the abuse these swivels get will ultimately lead to flaking and chipping of the chrome - so I'm looking hard at possibly chemically treating the metal instead; or even go to stainless grade for the cup section and just polish which would be the simplest option for the long term.

Will definately be investigating some way of hardening the finished balls themselves to ensure even longer durability or maybe a way of machining bearings which are incredibly tough as you can imagine a need special carbide cutters.

What I've done with my current prototype at the moment is give it a good polish on the buffing machine. I should be able to give a price for them in a short while after some analysis of materials etc...
                            Attached Files

Comment

• gil
                              Speed Bag Trainee
                              • Dec 2011

That is nice!

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                              Working...