• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Speedbag Seaweed Man
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Apr 2015

Ddd ddd dd dd d ddd ddd dd dd d

When I heard the rhythm this combo makes I had to have a go..

I became fascinated by the sound and stuck with it even as it was going dark..

By the time it went dark I had it stored away in the muscle memory ..

Next I will work on several ways to echo this rhythm using different combinations and get them to a point where I can reel them off one after the other.

If anyone has a rhythm that they really like, please post it up here for us to hear. Chur
  • MsDeville

• Oct 2009

The sweet rhythmic pattern from the bag.

That's what it's all about.

Bag on, fellow speed bag addict!
    sigpic Contact me anytime for information about Deville Swivels Email: DevilleSwivels@gmail.com
    I'm also on Facebook: www.facebook.com/DevilleSwivels | www.facebook.com/SpeedBagAddicts

Comment

• Alex Skylakos
      • Oct 2014

Good stuff bro! Great control. I can see your getting better with every new video you put up!

Comment

• Speedbag
        Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by Speedbag Seaweed Man View Post
        When I heard the rhythm this combo makes I had to have a go..

Next I will work on several ways to echo this rhythm using different combinations and get them to a point where I can reel them off one after the other.
        If anyone has a rhythm that they really like, please post it up here for us to hear. Chur
        LOTS of ways to echo this rhythm from all around the bag.

The first two techniques are "triple strikes" (actually three hits with one rebound inbetween) (ddD ' ' ddD)

Try this: After the first S-TES, use and outward or Downward Triple Elbow strike, since both will follow the S-TES on Two rebounds.

S-TES ' ' O-TES ( 2 variations, using standard E-F\F, or Shadow FSP for first hit, making the o-tes a F\E-F. either way will work)

S-TES ' ' D-TES

or make the opening strikes 3-punch fist rolls, (no elbow strikes)

Make the first two triples a "3-punch monty" FDP ' SSP ' ' SDP ' RSP

Start this echo from a R-Roll for the first three punches R-Rollx3 ' ' F-Rollx3

R-Rollx3 ' ' O-TES or D-TES

Or

RDP ' SSP ' ' S-TES (* remember, SSP follows any reverse punch on one rebound"

RDP ' SSP ' ' S-TES....

harder..

RDP ' SSP ' ' SDP ' RSP.. (sounds the same as STES ' ' STES)

Harder....

SDP ' RSP ' ' FDP ' SSP....

After the Triple beat openings, you can do a lot of varieties of the middle section double punch beats sound: dd ' ' dd you can use
        FDP, SDP, RDP, S-RDP or R-SDP or O-DES, D-DES

..... Great exercise to develop beat control. I did the very same thing you are doing thousands of times when writing the section of echo rhythms. Actually I was just trying to write down how I made the different echo's, which force me to concentrate on how they worked.

To force yourself to understand it deeper, Figure out how "Each" technique in the echo "has to be a certain technique"

You are doing S-TES ' ' S-TES ' ' SDP ' ' FDP ' ' RSP

That is five techniques. That give you five "Have to" positions. example: Make the second technique (S-TES) a D-TES. or, Make the fourth Technique (SDP), be a FDP, or a R-SDP. Make the fifth technique (RSP) have to be a SSP or FCP.
        or make the middle double punches HAVE to be SDP ' ' SDP, not FDP ' ' RDP.

and try not to get your hands tied in a knot.

When you fully understand the "rules of rhythm" you can write these pretty easy, but punching them is a bit more difficult. then when you have mastered them, take it to punch drumming, for that echo beat works GREAT for punch drumming. (although the riff does not start on the down beat (1) count of the measure.)

Last edited by Speedbag; 06-01-2015, 09:12 PM.
        Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
        *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
        The Quest Continues...
        Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Speedbag Seaweed Man
          Speed Bag Guru
          • Apr 2015

Thanks Speedbag for all of the helpful suggestions! I will enjoy working as far as I can through those exercises and have started with one that I thought would be an easier one. No elbows, it is
          ( 3 F-roll) ' ' (3 R-roll) ' ' (FDP) ' ' ( RDP) ' ' (FSP) ' ' ( 3 R-roll) ' ' ( 3 F-roll) so on.

Can't wait to string a few of these together to some music but for now these echo rhythms have got me buzzing.

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
          Working...