X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Joe
    • May 2010

Does the platform REALLY matter?

I am about to build a new platform. I could obviously go my simple (2x4's and plywood) to more fancy (utilizing hardwood with custom metal frame).

But here is my question... Does it really matter?? I mean if I was to cut a 30" platform out several layers of MDF and made it a true 3" or more thick am I not better off than something made out of only 3/4inch of maple?

Does the material matter as long as its stable?
    sigpic
  • Brother Cavefish
    • Jan 2011

from a wood working perspective, i would think a thick solid platform helps on vibration, i am always a hardwood lover , but 3/4 in my opinion is too thin, given your choices i would go with the 3 in density,
    a acquaintance i met recently did as you BUT added a thin layer of Real hardwood veneer on the face of the platform that the bag hits , it looked quit nice
    now you could do a two layer 3/4 hardwood and crossgrain and glue- thats a sturdy piece
    as for My platform i have a 1" x 24" pine round i bought at Home depot and sturdied it with layered it 1x4 pine, and i agree with "Jumpcannon" mounting is where a good portion of the sturdyness comes from
    Last edited by Brother Cavefish; 03-18-2011, 10:52 PM.
    Choose You this day , Whom You shall Serve

Comment

• Avadia
      • Nov 2010

Material doesn't matter as much as thickness and density. MDF performs fine, although not as pretty as hardwood. But regardless of what you make it out of, the platform needs to be at least 2" and preferably 3" thick.

And the platform needs to be dead stable, so the bracketing to attach it to the wall is key. Good luck with it.

Comment

• jumpcannon
        Creator of the Powermill Evil Swivel

• Jul 2010

My board is 2 pieces of 3/4 inch thick mdf. Extremely solid. Definately dont need more than that. Mine is heavily ceiling mounted. The mounting is the ticket. But trust me.......1.5" of mdf works excellent.
        evilswivel@yahoo.com

Comment

• Joe
          • May 2010

Originally posted by jumpcannon View Post
          My board is 2 pieces of 3/4 inch thick mdf. Extremely solid. Definately dont need more than that. Mine is heavily ceiling mounted. The mounting is the ticket. But trust me.......1.5" of mdf works excellent.

JC -- Is that a 24" platform in your Avatar Picture? Looks like MDF will be VERY cost effective as a 4x8 sheet will do the trick...
          sigpic

Comment

• jumpcannon

• Jul 2010

Originally posted by Joe View Post
            JC -- Is that a 24" platform in your Avatar Picture? Looks like MDF will be VERY cost effective as a 4x8 sheet will do the trick...
            Yes it is. I bought a 2'x4' sheet for $10. You get one free cut with the purchase and i had them cut it in dead half. That way u have 2 sheets 2'x2'. Liquid nailed them together and put a few weights on them for a day. I cut it in a circle with a jigsaw which was hell. I made the exact same board for a friend but cut the corners at a 45 degree with a circular saw.....MUCH EASIER and it made it octogon looking. I like it better that way. Hope this helps!
            evilswivel@yahoo.com

Comment

• Joe
              • May 2010

Quick stop at Lowes tonight... all the had was 4x8 sheets of the 3/4 MDF. I went to have they guy cut it and he screwed it up making one of the sides 23". Not a problem as he got it right on teh other end and only charged me $15 for all off it (i got to keep the miscuts).

I am gonna get it glued and clamped tomorrow. Just by chance I am taking an adult ed class in power tool use and safety for the next 5 weeks. I was actually went to tonight but it was cancelled due to the snowstorm. I'll have access to a band saw and router and drill press to finish it off.

Now to decide on the color... according to the spray paints I have in my garage looks like a camo scheme with a final clear glosscoat is on order. It will make all my MMA buddies happy - they can come over and it will match their shorts...
              sigpic

Comment

• Joe
                • May 2010

JC - I took your advice and used the 3/4" MDF. I used two pieces to make my 24" platform.

I used a router and blew right through it in 5 minutes. Simple... but effective.

It took two passes as my bit was not quite long enough...

I did route the corners slightly just because I had a router in my hand. I figured why not.

I am so freakin' lame posting pictures of my platform build. I admit.

Tomorrow I'll prime the sides as the rough end of MDF swallows paint like crazy.
                sigpic

Comment

• Tim
                  Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

Lookin' good Joe. Can't wait to see the finished product.

Comment

• Speedbag
                    Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

JC - I took your advice and used the 3/4" MDF. I used two pieces to make my 24" platform.

I used a router and blew right through it in 5 minutes. Simple... but effective.

I did route the corners slightly just because I had a router in my hand. I figured why not.

Tomorrow I'll prime the sides as the rough end of MDF swallows paint like crazy.
                    Nothing "lame" about it.....

For the bagger who loves the total experience of "punching the bag", you'll find no negative comments about a man who loves his board. The true baggist will take NO piece of equipment for granted. A better quality board will only add to the experience. I'm reminded of the ancient swordmaster who spent many hours forging each piece of the sword, and the warrior who used it in battle never had to ask him why.

nice board. Well done.
                    Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
                    *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
                    The Quest Continues...
                    Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• jumpcannon

• Jul 2010

Wow that looks great! I wish i had a router on hand when i made mine. Great work!
                      evilswivel@yahoo.com

Comment

• toolboxdiver
                        Speed Bag Guru
                        • Jan 2008

great job I just made a circle cutter for a angle grinder to cut circles in metal for my home brewery project I'm working on. One has to relax after a tough day of work and baggin hehehe

Comment

• Boltbaby
                          • Apr 2011

No you're not, you should be proud! Craftsmanship is becoming a lost quality these days. Nice!
                          The rhythm is gonna get you, too!

Comment

• southtexaskevin
                            • Jan 2012

nothing lame about a job well done,and nothing wrong with building something with your own two hands, and taking PRIDE in it. it looks great, that sure beats the sawzall i used haha.

Comment

• meanwun
                              Speed Bag Trainee
                              • Feb 2012

That looks awesome. I'm currently trying to figure out how I want to make mine. Now just to figure out how I want to frame it and then hang to exposed studs.

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                              Working...