• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SlowBag
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • Feb 2012

Need advice on a swivel and bag.

I recently started using the speed bag at the gym. Unfortunately, I broke the bag at the gym. I'm looking to replace the bag with a superior one. The old one was large and slow and the swivel was terrible. I need a recommendation on a bag and swivel that will compliment each other.
    Thanks in advance.
  • Speedbag
    Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by SlowBag View Post
    I recently started using the speed bag at the gym. Unfortunately, I broke the bag at the gym. I'm looking to replace the bag with a superior one. The old one was large and slow and the swivel was terrible. I need a recommendation on a bag and swivel that will compliment each other.
    Thanks in advance.
    Hey Slowbag:

One of the Speed Bag Commandments:

"..He who breaks the bag must replace it with one of equal value"

For a high quality replacement that will not break the bank you could get the 9x6 (red) or 10x7 (blue) Titleboxing speed bag and feel pretty safe that you've done your part in replacing the bag.

As for a swivel, That depends on what was there and what you want to use. you've got a few options and of that group I would probably go with Deluxe Pro Swivel

If it was ME personally, I'd bump it up a bit a purchase THE DEVILLE SWIVEL made recently available by MsDeville here on the forum. You can just send her a Personal Message (PM) via the forum to make arrangements. It's a fast, efficient Ballhook Swivel.

but I'm admittedly prejudiced to ballhook swivels.

Hope that helps.
    Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
    *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
    The Quest Continues...
    Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• SlowBag
      Speed Bag Trainee
      • Feb 2012

If I was leaning towards more of a high end bag, what would you recommend? Also, the 7x10 bag is black on the website, is this the one you recommend?

I was thinking going to a medium bag and work towards the small one. I would also like to try the hook swivel, can you recommend one that I can purchase on the internet?

More info: I just recently started using the speed bag at the gym, I believe their bag was a larger bag (found it to rebound slower), and the swivel was not a hook one (not sure how to explain it. But I want to replace both because I want to advance my speed bag skills.

Comment

• Speedbag
        Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by SlowBag View Post
        If I was leaning towards more of a high end bag, what would you recommend? Also, the 7x10 bag is black on the website, is this the one you recommend?

I was thinking going to a medium bag and work towards the small one. I would also like to try the hook swivel, can you recommend one that I can purchase on the internet?

More info: I just recently started using the speed bag at the gym, I believe their bag was a larger bag (found it to rebound slower), and the swivel was not a hook one (not sure how to explain it. But I want to replace both because I want to advance my speed bag skills.
        If you want a high end bag, than go with Cleto Rey.

the 10x7 title Bag looks black on the website but it is Dark Blue on the hook.

the only to get a Ballhook is from MsDeville here on the forum. there is currently no other online source for Ballhooks that I know. they come up on ebay occasionally but if you want one quick, send a PM to Msdeville.
        Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
        *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
        The Quest Continues...
        Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Tim
          Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

Originally posted by Gozzee
          Buyer beware ... oftentimes you will get something OTHER than what is pictured on Amazon, especially when the seller is not a big name vendor. They stopped making the plastic ball hooks quite some time ago, and it's very rare to find them new. i'm not saying this person isn't selling ball hooks, I'm just saying you are taking a gamble if you order from them...

Comment

• MMurphy162
            Speed Bag Trainee
            • Feb 2012

I agree with Tim on the buyer beware part.

I'm a novice by any stretch so me giving advice is like taking a hunting dog to the salon but I bought a Boxing Gear all metal ball and hook and after one modification it works pretty well for me.

Mine lasted 3 minutes before I broke it. Guys like Tim would break it in 3 seconds. However, after I tack welded the pin to the ball I don't think it will break again and I like the action.

Comment

• questionare
              Speed Bag Trainee
              • Feb 2012

Originally posted by MMurphy162 View Post
              I agree with Tim on the buyer beware part.

I'm a novice by any stretch so me giving advice is like taking a hunting dog to the salon but I bought a Boxing Gear all metal ball and hook and after one modification it works pretty well for me.

Mine lasted 3 minutes before I broke it. Guys like Tim would break it in 3 seconds. However, after I tack welded the pin to the ball I don't think it will break again and I like the action.
              Hi MMurphy,,

When did you purchased the Watikins swivel? Have you recieved it in a reasonable time?

What modification you made to it... since I am planning to get one too....

keep bagging

Comment

• MMurphy162
                Speed Bag Trainee
                • Feb 2012

Yes I bought it a week ago and got it yesterday. Beware of the pin in the ball. It is pushed in and then set in by a peen through a small hole in the side of the ball. There are no threads or set screws. Mine broke in 3 minutes. No kidding. But if put a small tack weld on top of the ball/pin it will never pull out. As for the action of the swivel I love it. The weld is no different than gluing the pin into a plastic ball and it wouldn't take but a minute to file it off if you need to remove it.
                Last edited by MMurphy162; 03-01-2012, 11:28 PM.

Comment

• southtexaskevin
                  • Jan 2012

thought those swivels were a urban legend haha, no but i was going to order one, but a few members said they had trouble with back order and such.... i should be getting the devill in a week or two.

Comment

• MMurphy162
                    Speed Bag Trainee
                    • Feb 2012

The Devill looks like a good one.

Comment

• MMurphy162
                      Speed Bag Trainee
                      • Feb 2012

I did buy the extra ball but not sure why. I paid like 22 bucks for the swivel and 6 for the extra ball.

Comment

• MMurphy162
                        Speed Bag Trainee
                        • Feb 2012

It has the same pin and ball. I'll tack it too before I use it.

I found something else out today. I live in the mountains of Idaho. A speed bag at 10 degrees does not respond like one at 65 degrees. It's harder too. Ha.

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                        Working...