• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MasterDux
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • Jul 2012

Alan Kahn is king - apparently :)

Hey guys,

Just a quick intro as I just became aware of this forum after searching Youtube trying to find out how to visibly tell if your speedbag is the right inflation. I only saw it should be around 3-4 psi but without a gauge it's hard to tell. Can someone just post a video squeezing the bag to see how much it should indent? That would be so helpful. Yeah, too hard, too soft, I get it. But my gym has a lousy speedbag setup and it shakes a bit, meaning I have to pump my bag even harder for a decent rebound. I also don't want to break the seams again at 30.00 a pop.

Looking forward to trying the new technique I watched on Youtube
    by this guy, different video about teaching the side to side etc
    The mighty Alan Kahn punch drumming to a cover band playing The FInal Countdown at a recent Foreigner show in Detroit. He hears the beat, locks in, locks up ...

But pretty cool, if I do say so myself. I just hit the bag with a few different combinations having never looked for a video of someone else hitting and always thought my speed and ability was pretty impressive. Now I know I can step it up even more! Thanks!!

Will post a video at some point. Just wish my gym would put some money into a decent contraption like I had at Purdue U in '92.

See you on the boards.

Dux
    Last edited by MasterDux; 07-14-2012, 10:09 AM.
  • Speedbag
    Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by MasterDux View Post
    Hey guys,

Just a quick intro as I just became aware of this forum after searching Youtube trying to find out how to visibly tell if your speedbag is the right inflation. I only saw it should be around 3-4 psi but without a gauge it's hard to tell. Can someone just post a video squeezing the bag to see how much it should indent? That would be so helpful. Yeah, too hard, too soft, I get it. But my gym has a lousy speedbag setup and it shakes a bit, meaning I have to pump my bag even harder for a decent rebound. I also don't want to break the seams again at 30.00 a pop.

Looking forward to trying the new technique I watched on Youtube
    by this guy, different video about teaching the side to side etc

But pretty cool, if I do say so myself. I just hit the bag with a few different combinations having never looked for a video of someone else hitting and always thought my speed and ability was pretty impressive. Now I know I can step it up even more! Thanks!!

Will post a video at some point. Just wish my gym would put some money into a decent contraption like I had at Purdue U in '92.

See you on the boards.

Dux
    Welcome Dux. Interesting Link, and there is a rumor that Alan Kahn is "King of the Speed Bag", (..started by Speed Bag Skunk) - and he can keep one going pretty good, but wait till you see some of these other guys.....

SpeedBag Skunk

SpeedBag Ataraxis

Juxt

That crown is getting a bit shakey.....

There are plenty of unreal speed bag masters in "this house" and you've come to right place if you want take you skills to the next level. And in this place, Everybody wants to take it to the next level....

Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
    *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
    The Quest Continues...
    Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• MasterDux
      Speed Bag Trainee
      • Jul 2012

very cool

Just the motivation I needed before heading off to the gym this morning.
      One thing I've noticed is how close you guys get to the bag and are practically under the board. The board at my gym is definiately too low and I'm going to try crouching down a bit to see if it helps. Chin at belly of bag. I sure do miss the ones at school that you could turn the wheel on the wall (industrial strength!) to lower or raise it.

Bag on,
      Dux

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by MasterDux View Post
        Just the motivation I needed before heading off to the gym this morning.
        One thing I've noticed is how close you guys get to the bag and are practically under the board. The board at my gym is definiately too low and I'm going to try crouching down a bit to see if it helps. Chin at belly of bag. I sure do miss the ones at school that you could turn the wheel on the wall (industrial strength!) to lower or raise it.

Bag on,
        Dux
        Hey Dux,

If the board is too low for you, you may find using a wider stance helpful. that will help lower you to the bag.

I prefer the bag belly a bit lower than most, say at my chin to hold my hands "up" level to the belly, but lower than needed if the bag is at mouth or nose, only to make it a bit easier on my left shoulder, which really doesn't like being help "up" to long anymore. I can do all the fist movements and outward, inward Elbows just fine, and when I "feel" a downward elbow" coming up I bend down a bit just before to let the raised elbow clear the board overhead.

we stand pretty close to the bag to reduce the distance needed for the fists to move through or around the bag. Any longer distance can reduce your overall speed because the fist(s) have a bit further to travel to cover that "extra" distance. Why punch in a 9-inch arc when a 7-inch arc will work? Your fist will have to go "2" extra inches out, then back, creating 4 inches of travel that really isn't needed, but takes time to cover it.

If you stand back further away from the bag, you can really start working more power punching, for you will make contact with the bag futher out into your punch. Adjust your stance so the bag contact is at the "power" part of your stroke (almost full extension) and you can really blast the bag hard for power and strength, but you probably won't go quite as fast "all around the bag" at this distance because of the extra swing lengths required to complete the swing. I like to think of it like Golf (which I suck at). For more control (and control is key) I hit the speed bag with my pitching wedge, standing close to the ball, with a reduced swing arc. When I really want to smack that long one with power, I stand back and use the driver. Longer swing arc, standing further away from the ball.

But...it's easier for me to find the speed bag after I hit it then my golf ball

have a good workout!
        Last edited by Speedbag; 07-21-2012, 12:40 PM.
        Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• spinsmashpop
          Speed Bag Wizard

• Nov 2008

Alan... those vids you posted are insane! the bar is getting higher and higher!
          Jxt is insane with the verts!!! wow!!!!!!

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by spinsmashpop View Post
            Alan... those vids you posted are insane! the bar is getting higher and higher!
            Jxt is insane with the verts!!! wow!!!!!!
            Yea, BT - the level of baggin' skill is off the chart. Especially on vert's. All kinds of new stuff. these young guns are giving this old dog heart burn trying to keep up.

sure missed you at the Gathering. we had a LONG session of Punch drumming(tm) which you would have loved.
            Last edited by Speedbag; 07-28-2012, 09:41 PM.
            Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
            Working...