• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Tim
    Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

Quick Recap of SB III plus some pictures

Wow, another fantastic year! We had a mixture of folks who have attended previously, but also a bunch of new faces. We also had a good number of "3 timers" ... who have made the event each year!

Per Parandays' thread we were able to raise $1,500 for Rock Steady Boxing, with about $1,200 of that coming from the silent auction. Special thanks to our vendors who provided goods for the auction, including Balazs, Boxing Depot, The Blasting Cabinet, Everlast (via Skunk), VIR Innovations Inc. (Maker of the Speed Demon counter!), RP65 (Ralph Ponce), Deano , Alan, Skunk and many others.

Extra special thanks to Paranday for coordinating the charity event. It helped make special event even more special!

Balazs came through in a stunning show of support by permanently donating two pro quality platforms to remain at the gym for all future events. One 12" adjustable unit and one 24" adjustable unit, both with the 30" drum! These are fantastic pieces of equipment and I'm happy to say we put them to good use (and will continue to do so in the future). Also Balazs donated 6 i-box units that were auctioned off as well. Balazs makes a top quality product and their support every year has made this event possible. If you are looking for a good platform, look no further than Balazs! They also donated several other goodies including banners, posters, key chains, and hand wraps.

Another very exciting development this year was the "Speed Demon" from VIR Innovations Inc. John Reynolds, founder and inventor of the device traveled out to SB III and spent all 3 days testing his device and taking notes. He also generously donated a Speed Demon unit to the auction. This ground breaking device is going to let us hold our first ever formal competition next year... stay tuned for details. On top of that everyone had a BLAST trying to outdo each other on the Speed Demon.

Another highlight was having Zaza there for the filming of "Art of the Bag". He got some great footage and we're hoping that we may be able to do something special related to the film for next year's event, again stay tuned.

Also the stunning performances by several of our members can't be forgotten. Ataraxis, G-Town, Juxt, TommyT , and others have to be seen to be believed! There was a lot of fantastic punch drumming going on !

Of course the Speed Bag Skunk was there and when he wasn't causing jaws to drop with his amazing speed and power on the bag he was wowing the crowd with his various gymnastic moves. He also found time to get ENGAGED !!!!

MsDeville was showing off some innovative new swivel designs as well as the X-15 the most solid platform I've seen in a long time! She was also punch drumming and having fun!

Alan did quite a bit of punch drumming, teaching, story telling, etc. It's always a treat to spend time with him.

Lastly, I have to give a shout out and BIG thanks to Donnie Blanks. We ran him ragged again - starting early, ending late, and he was gracious to shuttle around a bunch of people to and from the airport and train station. Donnie offers his total and unconditional support of the event , not to mention letting us run amok in his gym to all hours of the night and I am very grateful for that.

Thanks all who attended and I highly encourage everyone to try and make it to SPEED BAG IV next summer. We will be back at Real Gymm, as much of the equipment is stashed there in the basement now.

Lastly, I took a ton of pics , which I'll add to this thread shortly.
  • Tim

• Jan 2006

From Left to Right

Real Gymm's YOUTH CREW attended Friday and Saturday and they had a LOT of fun punching the bags. They were naturals at the vertical bag too!

Alan and g-town discuss the finer points of the Title "Black" bag. That bag was very nice... I see one in my future!

Sifu George and his crew came down from Plymouth. That man can put a hurtin' on a heavy bag as well as a speed bag. He runs a Jeet Kune Do academy with 6 speed bag platforms!
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Tim; 07-23-2012, 06:49 PM.

Comment

• Tim

• Jan 2006

From left to right

MsD, Alan, and Sifu George discuss Denise's latest swivel design

Donnie takes a snooze in the Real Gymm office. That man gets up early and his day doesn't end until we leave! I don't blame him for being exhausted!

Ataraxis and G-Town tear it up on TommyT's innovative portable platform. This got us out in the jersey Sun shine for some baggin' and much needed "refreshments" courtesy of g-town!
      Attached Files
      Last edited by Tim; 07-23-2012, 06:53 PM.

Comment

• Tim

• Jan 2006

From left to right...

Alan and Sifu George hammer the bags!

TommyT and Juxt tear it up!

Most every punch drumming attempt was accompanied by a ton of cameras rolling!
        Attached Files

Comment

• Tim

• Jan 2006

More cameras rolling! Piefurz is in the red shirt. He's a 3 timer that has always helped with the setup and teardown and I thank him for his help!

Skunk and Zaza. Zaza spent most of his time behind the camera, but he did bag a bit.... and let me tell you he is GOOD ! He's got quite a few sweet moves, hopefully someone caught it on video.

Sifu George puts a hurtin' on the heavy bag while Greg looks on.
          Attached Files

Comment

• Tim

• Jan 2006

Skunk , ALan, and Alix . Skunk proposed to Alix on the empire state building on Saturday and of course she said YES! Skunk also found time to hit up a "Barz" meet in the bronx! That's a far ways from real gymm!

Group shot!
            Attached Files

Comment

• Zaza
              Speed Bag Guru
              • Apr 2011

Tim-
              Just wanted to say "Thanks" & "Hats off to you!"... I can't believe everything you and you wife go through to bring this event to fruition every year. This being my first SB Gathering...and being just a TOTAL BLAST....I'm really looking forward to next year already.

What a great thing you've created here...and I for one can't thank you enough!
              Art of the Bag - A Speed Bag Story
              http://www.artofthebag.com

Comment

• Tim

• Jan 2006

Originally posted by Zaza View Post
                Tim-
                Just wanted to say "Thanks" & "Hats off to you!"... I can't believe everything you and you wife go through to bring this event to fruition every year. This being my first SB Gathering...and being just a TOTAL BLAST....I'm really looking forward to next year already.

What a great thing you've created here...and I for one can't thank you enough!
                Thanks for the kind words, and glad you had a good time. It is a unique community for sure. The real magic is what all the individuals bring to the table...

Comment

• Dutchman
                  Speed Bag Historian
                  • Jun 2006

From the pics and videos I'd say that everyone had a great time! One of these days I'm going to make it there, it's on my bucket list

Comment

• spinsmashpop
                    Speed Bag Wizard

• Nov 2008

Man I wish I was there... great stuff!
                    BAG ON!

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                    Working...