• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Geforce
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • Aug 2011

platform advice

Hi, I am looking at getting a new platform and was looking at this one.

Would it be a good one to choose?
  • paranday
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Sep 2009

I like the bracing on this one better,

Wait for others to comment. Being across the ocean from you I've never tried this brand, but the design looks better.

Comment

• MsDeville

• Oct 2009

Hi Geforce. I think I agree with Paranday's selection. The one he posted might be sturdier than the RDX adjustable that you mentioned.

The RDX adjustable model with the welded metal V-configuration could pose a problem because the metal plate (on top) comes right to the center of the drum, and could make it difficult to change out swivels.

But, I see that it appears that the manufacturer attached the swivel by drilling the screws down through the drum from the top. Then, it looks like they attached the V-shaped metal bracing and rectangular metal plate on top of the swivel screw heads on the drum.

I'm thinking that this is not a good idea to have those exposed bolts right above the swivel and speed bag. One mis-hit on the bag, and your fist could bump into the exposed screw and bolt.

Another issue with this platform might be the wing nuts on the metal posts for adjusting the drum up and down. They don't look sturdy enough to keep from vibrating loose during a workout. I could be wrong about this, but, still, it's something to keep in mind.
      Attached Files
      sigpic Contact me anytime for information about Deville Swivels Email: DevilleSwivels@gmail.com
      I'm also on Facebook: www.facebook.com/DevilleSwivels | www.facebook.com/SpeedBagAddicts

Comment

• paranday
        Speed Bag Guru
        • Sep 2009

Originally posted by MsDeville View Post
        Another issue with this platform might be the wing nuts on the metal posts for adjusting the drum up and down. They don't look sturdy enough to keep from vibrating loose during a workout. I could be wrong about this, but, still, it's something to keep in mind.
        I think you're right about the wingnuts. I replaced the plastic knob style nuts on a similar platform with grade 8 hex nuts. I found that using a wrench was far better after one of the knobs cracked off and became useless. The grade 8 nuts also cleaned up the threads of the softer carriage bolts that go into the vertical rails.

Supporting a drum by the center still makes no sense to me from a vibration standpoint. The V shape looks badass, I think that's why it caught on.

Comment

• Speedbag Seaweed Man
          Speed Bag Guru
          • Apr 2015

Originally posted by Geforce View Post
          Hi, I am looking at getting a new platform and was looking at this one.

Would it be a good one to choose?
          Hi Geforce.

For me Platforms seem like boats- as soon as you have one you want a bigger better one. But as long as it doesn't sink any boat will do. But this boat might not be seaworthy bro. I would consider the swivel part of the investment here and as for swivels- they are like boats too, but you want a mean one under your board. No one regrets buying quality. I would buy a deville swivel again, and with the change have some fun finding a slab of timber or furniture top and mount that up somewhere for less money. BUT if you just want to bag now or DIE then get anything as fast as you can.

Comment

• Geforce
            Speed Bag Trainee
            • Aug 2011

I'm only looking to spend £100 on a platform. Can anyone suggest one please
            Thanks all

Comment

• Speedbag Seaweed Man
              Speed Bag Guru
              • Apr 2015

Here is a lonsdale one but it is fixed height..

And an everlast one here

another everlast platform here

all are under a hundred squid but I have tried none of them. Good luck on your quest

Haha check this seller out! they have mounted the platform with the brackets on the underside. Cabbages

Last edited by Speedbag Seaweed Man; 04-30-2015, 06:12 AM.

Comment

• Geforce
                Speed Bag Trainee
                • Aug 2011

what you guys think of this one compared to the RDX one

its between thos two

Help me decide

Last edited by Geforce; 04-30-2015, 02:51 PM.

Comment

• Speedbag Seaweed Man
                  Speed Bag Guru
                  • Apr 2015

The one on the left looks like it would shake less and maybe easier to put a sandbag or whatever on top. Both same diameter? Maybe go for the fixed height one set high enough on the wall for a big bag and construct a wee step to stand on for hitting a smaller bag, or if a shorter person wants a turn. Probably faster and easier than adjusting the RDX one each time until it's moving parts fail? Is the ceiling particularly low where you are planning mount it or is there heaps of headroom for the brackets above the bag ?

Comment

• Speedbag Seaweed Man
                    Speed Bag Guru
                    • Apr 2015

I am bidding on this one at the moment. Plenty of room for more and more here.
                    Attached Files

Comment

• Geforce
                      Speed Bag Trainee
                      • Aug 2011

Originally posted by Speedbag Seaweed Man View Post
                      The one on the left looks like it would shake less and maybe easier to put a sandbag or whatever on top. Both same diameter? Maybe go for the fixed height one set high enough on the wall for a big bag and construct a wee step to stand on for hitting a smaller bag, or if a shorter person wants a turn. Probably faster and easier than adjusting the RDX one each time until it's moving parts fail? Is the ceiling particularly low where you are planning mount it or is there heaps of headroom for the brackets above the bag ?
                      The one on the left is 600mm x 18mm MDF board

Comment

• Speedbag Seaweed Man
                        Speed Bag Guru
                        • Apr 2015

600mm might be the smallest you can get away with. I have a 6x9 bag that makes a stained ring on the platform around it that measures 600mm to the outside. For a bigger bag you would need a bigger platform but for a 6x9 bag or smaller it's enough. What size bag are you smacking?

Comment

• Geforce
                          Speed Bag Trainee
                          • Aug 2011

600mm might be the smallest you can get away with. I have a 6x9 bag that makes a stained ring on the platform around it that measures 600mm to the outside. For a bigger bag you would need a bigger platform but for a 6x9 bag or smaller it's enough. What size bag are you smacking?
                          its a longsdale 'small' bag

Comment

• Speedbag Seaweed Man
                            Speed Bag Guru
                            • Apr 2015

Cool. I just bought a title small gold bag from ebay.

Comment

• Speedbag Seaweed Man
                              Speed Bag Guru
                              • Apr 2015

I am bidding on this one at the moment. Plenty of room for more and more here.
                              Sweet. I managed to outbid them and got this platform for $111NZD Chur!

How is your buying going Geforce?

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                              Working...