• Sep 2009

Originally posted by Zaza View Post
        No gloves for me!
        Hahaha. Me too.

Comment

• Randitto
          Speed Bag Trainee
          • Mar 2015

JUst curious how many times are you all hitting in a typical bag session. My normal routine is 5000 every morning 10,000 on my big days and 15,000 for record days. So after numbers like that my knuckles have signifigant cracks especialy on the last knuckle and middle knuckle. perhaps a softer bag will help but then I get concerned with duribility. Thanks Randitto Banditto

Comment

• Eric
            • May 2014

No gloves for me either !

Comment

• rehamco1
              Speed Bag Guru
              • Aug 2013

when I first started I wrapped my hands no gloves for me and no wraps now

Comment

• Zaza
                Speed Bag Guru
                • Apr 2011

Originally posted by Randitto View Post
                JUst curious how many times are you all hitting in a typical bag session. My normal routine is 5000 every morning 10,000 on my big days and 15,000 for record days. So after numbers like that my knuckles have signifigant cracks especialy on the last knuckle and middle knuckle. perhaps a softer bag will help but then I get concerned with duribility. Thanks Randitto Banditto
                When I first started I had to wear gloves because I was totally addicted and spend hours just trying to get a good rhythm going. I used Everlast Gel gloves. then I gradually weened myself off them and used hand cream to stop the cracking. (it gets cold & dry here in the Northeast)

I have no idea on the number of strikes I do in a given session as I have a 2.5 hour playlist that I hit to each day. All I know is that I'm a sweaty mess when I'm finished...and feel great!

As well as the livingroom platform, I have one in the garage and one in the basement...so whenever I walk by any of them, I have to stop & hit for a bit.

Your hands will toughen up over time. I find you can feel the bag much better on the bare fist and you have better control. You will also find the right inflation that works for your style.
                Art of the Bag - A Speed Bag Story
                http://www.artofthebag.com

Comment

• swfl
                  Speed Bag Guru
                  • Apr 2013

No gloves for me.. I go by minutes not by strikes. 20-30 minutes to music per day

Comment

• Randitto
                    Speed Bag Trainee
                    • Mar 2015

Yes I understand they will toughen up over time. Hell Ive been hitting for 35 years so Im not new to the speedbag and all the wonder that comes with it. I myself have just always used gloves. I have also always counted my strikes as well this helps me know how I am improving as far as speed goes typicaly Im hitting 1000 strikes in roughly 3.00 minutes. counting strikes and timing them is really the only way to know how much faster you are getting. Yes I know you can tell from the rythum and flow of the bag but not knowing the amount of strikes is just guessing at that point. just my opinion however. Randitto

Comment

• Zaza
                      Speed Bag Guru
                      • Apr 2011

Yes I understand they will toughen up over time. Hell Ive been hitting for 35 years so Im not new to the speedbag and all the wonder that comes with it. I myself have just always used gloves. I have also always counted my strikes as well this helps me know how I am improving as far as speed goes typicaly Im hitting 1000 strikes in roughly 3.00 minutes. counting strikes and timing them is really the only way to know how much faster you are getting. Yes I know you can tell from the rythum and flow of the bag but not knowing the amount of strikes is just guessing at that point. just my opinion however. Randitto
                      For me, it's not about speed at all, as Alan says, "It's a control bag". I just love hitting to music, working out interesting combinations and working up a nice sweat. Keep this old man limber!

Now if you really want some stats on your hitting speed and count, you should look into the "Speed Demon XT". We have friendly competitions on them at the gathering each year and the owner of the company is a member here on the forum... check it out:
                      Last edited by Zaza; 03-05-2015, 05:54 AM.
                      Art of the Bag - A Speed Bag Story
                      http://www.artofthebag.com

Comment

• Speedbag
                        Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

For that kind of data, and much more, you seriously need to consider getting and using The Speed Demon digital counter.

Check out the data and measurements here.

Of course, maybe you have one already and we don't know it but if you don't you will absolutely love it.

Last edited by Speedbag; 03-06-2015, 07:00 PM.
                        Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
                        *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
                        The Quest Continues...
                        Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• steenhenge
                          Speed Bag Trainee
                          • Dec 2016

I'm going no glove atm, but sometimes use wraps.
                          When I first started on the speed bag, I used a pair of bike gloves that I had (wasn't a good idea lol) and I ended up on the bag for like an hour+ because I got so into it. Needless to say, I ripped up my knuckles cuz of the fabric, and couldn't touch the bag again for like a week because my hands hurt so bad. I now have a little scar on my left ring-finger knuckle (badge of honor? )
                          After that, I started using wraps, but also find them kinda irritating on my knuckles. I smack the bag around without gloves, and also find that my knuckles start to get irritated/sore. Am I just being over-zealous and punching too long? Will the skin on my hands just get used to it eventually? Should I try gel gloves, even though I've heard mostly bad things?

For the past few days I've been slowing down, and just working on figuring out combinations. I guess that has been helping the hand situation, plus I don't do it as long, because it's not as fun lol gotta do it though to learn, eh?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Comment

• rdshackleford
                            Speed Bag Guru
                            • Oct 2016

Advice on the Internet is cheap and worth about as much. You have to figure this out for yourself. Its your skin.

My lovely wife gave me this advice years ago and reminds me of it often. "You have to take care of your bits." Sure you can punish your skin and knuckles long enough until they toughen up. Keep it up until they look like old worn out boxing gloves. Go nuts. Not me. I wear gloves. I also take off my wedding ring and wear it on a lanyard around my neck when I bag. And afterwards, I moisturize.

Also, like you I find some gloves irritate my knuckles. Its difficult to find a comfortable pair. My wife has a pair of Century MMA gloves from the mid 90's I really like. I tried to buy the same gloves from the same era. They looked the same but for some reason tore up my knuckles. I thought they just needed breaking in, but after closer inspection I found they had changed the inner lining. Use to be soft felt, but they changed it to woven nylon. Can you believe that? Sandpaper might have been less irritating.

-Rusty
                            @ArcSwivel
                            #ArcSwivel sigpic

Comment

• Dutchman
                              Speed Bag Historian
                              • Jun 2006

Hand protection is one of those things that is very much dependent upon the individual. Personally I've used handwraps, two different styles of the old school Everlast mitts, and of late a pair of Harbinger style 320 gloves. Whether or not I use them depends upon which bag I'm using, as I like to switch them. I have three bags that the leather is very easy on the hands. The rest of them I need the protection.

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                              Working...