X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bag Man
    • Jan 2011

Originally posted by rdshackleford View Post
    If you like the larger vintage Everlasts, you may like to try the 4205 and 4207 if you can find them. Both are big and tons of fun!
    Have yet to run across either. Do you have one you might part with?

Bag Man
    "He [Marciano] was far and away the strongest man I've encountered."

Archie Moore

Comment

• rdshackleford
      Speed Bag Guru
      • Oct 2016

I only have one of each. And I am very partial to the 4205 Y.M.C.A. Leatherneck bag. I would buy another if I found one in good shape. I was very lucky to get one in pristine unused condition. The only trouble I had with it was the mold odor from storage. That took 6-9 months to dissipate. Once it did, it became one of my favorite bags, and a jewel in the collection.

The 4207 is rare and sort of odd. It is a very oldee timee teardrop shape. Almost as big as the 4205 but with a longer neck, or maybe that is an illusion due to the teardrop shape. The 4207 is a real throwback to the 50's and 60's.

-Rusty
      @ArcSwivel
      #ArcSwivel sigpic

Comment

• Bag Man
        • Jan 2011

Originally posted by rdshackleford View Post
        I only have one of each. And I am very partial to the 4205 Y.M.C.A. Leatherneck bag. I would buy another if I found one in good shape. I was very lucky to get one in pristine unused condition. The only trouble I had with it was the mold odor from storage. That took 6-9 months to dissipate. Once it did, it became one of my favorite bags, and a jewel in the collection.

The 4207 is rare and sort of odd. It is a very oldee timee teardrop shape. Almost as big as the 4205 but with a longer neck, or maybe that is an illusion due to the teardrop shape. The 4207 is a real throwback to the 50's and 60's.

-Rusty
        thx

I'll keep an eye out.
        "He [Marciano] was far and away the strongest man I've encountered."

Archie Moore

Comment

• rdshackleford
          Speed Bag Guru
          • Oct 2016

You magnificent bastard! How are you not perfect!
          @ArcSwivel
          #ArcSwivel sigpic

Comment

• Dutchman
            Speed Bag Historian
            • Jun 2006

The 4207 is about an inch and half longer than the 4205, and is more "bulbous" than the 4205, making it the "tallest" of the institutional line (in order of size, 4213, 4205, & 4207). Examples show up on eBay infrequently, you used to be able to get them for a reasonable bid, but not so much anymore. Like Rusty said, the institutional line of bags went for some serious bucks back in the day, the 4205 and 4207 going for about the same amount new, about $80. I have one that I purchased new back in 1980, don't remember exactly what I paid for it (wasn't the list price that much I recall). Picked one up from the late 1950's early 60's on eBay a while back for about $40.

Comment

• paranday
              Speed Bag Guru
              • Sep 2009

Originally posted by Dutchman View Post
              The 4207 is about an inch and half longer than the 4205, and is more "bulbous" than the 4205, making it the "tallest" of the institutional line (in order of size, 4213, 4205, & 4207). Examples show up on eBay infrequently, you used to be able to get them for a reasonable bid, but not so much anymore. Like Rusty said, the institutional line of bags went for some serious bucks back in the day, the 4205 and 4207 going for about the same amount new, about $80. I have one that I purchased new back in 1980, don't remember exactly what I paid for it (wasn't the list price that much I recall). Picked one up from the late 1950's early 60's on eBay a while back for about $40.
              I wish someone would reproduce these. I wonder where they were made in USA? Did Everlast have an actual factory back in the 1980s?

Comment

• Dutchman
                Speed Bag Historian
                • Jun 2006

Made in Brooklyn NYC USA. After the sale some production was moved to Missouri and later Mississippi, with the smaller stuff being made in China

Comment

• Dutchman
                  Speed Bag Historian
                  • Jun 2006

Correction, the Bronx, NY

Comment

• paranday
                    Speed Bag Guru
                    • Sep 2009

Originally posted by Dutchman View Post
                    Correction, the Bronx, NY
                    Those bags were worthy of the Everlast name. I wish I had bought 10, but who could justify it? Everlast would always be there. Until they weren't.

Comment

• jaja6009
                      Speed Bag Guru
                      • Dec 2016

Yeah Everlast has lost it's quality. It's strange that a parent company owns them and Lonsdale, but Everlast seems to have the crappier bags now. My first bag when I got back into bagging in December 16 was a black Elite series 6x9. It was a hot dog.No speed bag shape to it. I had no problem leaving at the work boxing club gym since I really don't care what happens to it when the bruisers start to wail on it.

The MX bag is nice and the Kangaroo bags are nice too, but they lost that classic Everlast shape that looks so good. Is it that the old shape used more leather, or is there a trend for the banana shape that is taking over or even that overseas factories cannot make a consistent product? I'd rather Everlast charge me $50 for a great bag then $35 for a banana.

It pains me since my first speed bag back in the 90's was an Everlast.

Comment

• Speedbag
                        Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by jaja6009 View Post
                        Yeah Everlast has lost it's quality. It's strange that a parent company owns them and Lonsdale, but Everlast seems to have the crappier bags now. My first bag when I got back into bagging in December 16 was a black Elite series 6x9. It was a hot dog.No speed bag shape to it. I had no problem leaving at the work boxing club gym since I really don't care what happens to it when the bruisers start to wail on it.

The MX bag is nice and the Kangaroo bags are nice too, but they lost that classic Everlast shape that looks so good. Is it that the old shape used more leather, or is there a trend for the banana shape that is taking over or even that overseas factories cannot make a consistent product? I'd rather Everlast charge me $50 for a great bag then $35 for a banana.

It pains me since my first speed bag back in the 90's was an Everlast.
                        For me that started in the mid 1990's. I always hit Everlast. My standard "go to" bag was the 9x6 4200. In Feb 1996 I met John Brown, Owner of Ringside Boxing, and I started hitting ringside....(actually loved the bags but hated the multicolor until I got used to it.) That is when I started hitting an 8x5. For a couple of years I ripped on numerous 8x5 Ringside Bags, but I think in 1998 or 1999 they dropped the "teardrop" shape and went to Banana shape. They were fast, but the belly is more toward the middle of the bag then close to the bottom and I just didn't like the feel of it. Then I noticed other brand shapes were going for the "long lean" look, so I started shopping around. Anyway, some staff from Ringside broke off and started Title Boxing, they got into a legal feud and Ringside lost.

Bag sizes and shapes have varied a lot over the years, and nothing seems to remain standard. My theory is, when you find a bag you really like, buy as many of them as you can "now" because the shape and quality may change in the next batch as the companies keep seeking ways to find cheaper production costs.
                        Last edited by Speedbag; 09-05-2017, 10:50 AM.
                        Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
                        *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
                        The Quest Continues...
                        Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• jaja6009
                          Speed Bag Guru
                          • Dec 2016

Awesome information Alan, thanks. I always found it weird that Ringside and Title had addresses that were way too similar.

I read this articles once and it added more confusion over the Ringside ownership. http://cjonline.com/news-state/2014-...-hopeful-orman

Comment

• Speedbag
                            Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by jaja6009 View Post
                            Awesome information Alan, thanks. I always found it weird that Ringside and Title had addresses that were way too similar.

I read this articles once and it added more confusion over the Ringside ownership. http://cjonline.com/news-state/2014-...-hopeful-orman
                            John Brown was the original owner and master mind of Ringside. When I met him, and for a few years, they would NOT carry Everlast products as the two were the biggest rivals in Boxing equipment for a while. Anyway, in 1998 two employees of Ringside decided to open their own company (Title boxing) and as they are also in Lenexa Kansas - and that is why their mailing addresses are similar. There was a lawsuit of this and ultimately Title Boxing prevailed. Title Boxing continued to expand their equipment line and then got into Franchising the "Fitness Boxing Club" concept. This was genius idea that became quite successful...

On February 4, 2009, Ringside and Everlast entered into a boxing products licensing agreement where, Ringside licensed the use of Everlast trademarks on licensed products and agreed to make royalty payments to Everlast.

October 2012, Ringside filed a voluntary bankruptcy.

*..it's complicated. read the history and information here.....

http://chapter11cases.com/2015/08/16...d-kansas-2015/)

I've been lucky enough to have known the main players in all this. John Brown was a huge influence on me and the Speed Bag Bible Program.
                            I met him at the supershow (sporting goods show) in Feb 1996 in Atlanta Ga. I was doing speed bag demonstrations for Hitman Boxing products. After a brief Demo JB came up and introduced himself and said "I want you and your program". He looked at the book and asked about a video. I did not have any video's at the time, so he told me to "Put this on video as fast as you can and we'll (Ringside) sell it and add you as a "Team Ringside" advisory list.

In May 1996 I took 2 weeks off work and shot all my training videos. (On both Ringside and Everlast Bags). Over 25 - S-VHS tapes full of footage. I then attended the 1996 Olympics in Atlanta doing training seminars for Hitman Boxing, and that was the end of our relationship. They stiffed me on the expenses and never answered phone calls or letters.

in September 1996 I finished editing my training tapes First, The single "2 hr version" and then the more comprehensive "4 tape series". Ringside Began selling the book and videos shortly after.

John Brown did add me to the "Team Ringside" advisory council and in Feb or March 1998 I attended the Ringside Silver Gloves Tournament in Kansas City and had a few training seminars for the coaches about speed bag training. (picture of me with JB was at the 1998 silver gloves tournament)

A few months later the guys that started Title Boxing Contacted me to sell the program also and a deal was struck. When I started selling the SBB with Title, I suddenly vanished from the Team Ringside listing.

Ringside continued to sell the SBB in their magazine and online until John Brown came out with his own comprehensive training system, with a DVD on "light bags". http://www.ringside.com/catalog/product/view/id/3024/

I would see him occasionally at Sporting Good and Fitness Trade Shows and we'd speak. I owe him a lot because he was the first major company to actively acknowledge the need for detailed speed bag training information and endorse my program.

I wish him well.
                            Attached Files
                            Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
                            *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
                            The Quest Continues...
                            Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• jaja6009
                              Speed Bag Guru
                              • Dec 2016

That's some great inside speed bag information. Thanks.

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                              Working...