• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rdshackleford
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Oct 2016

Franklin Sugar Ray Leonard bag on eBay

I'm gonna pass on this one. But it looks NOS. Primo condition, original lacing pattern, leather welted seams, and the awesome word "Genuine" right on the bag.

By the look of Sugar Ray's photo on the box, has to be from the 70's.

-Rusty
    @ArcSwivel
    #ArcSwivel sigpic
  • Dutchman
    Speed Bag Historian
    • Jun 2006

Leonard had an endorsement deal with Franklin that lasted about a decade, from about 1980 that was still in effect in 1989. When he retired for the last time sales of his endorsed items dropped dramatically and the contract was not renewed. These items are collectible in the sense that there is a much narrower window than the Ali deal with Everlast

I've not owned or hit on a Franklin bag, so I can't comment on the quality of them (yeah I know, but from what I saw of them at the time I wasn't all that impressed) Maybe I'll consider this one, maybe not. They show up on eBay fairly frequently.

Comment

• rdshackleford
      Speed Bag Guru
      • Oct 2016

I recently watched the "No Mas" documentary, and Leonard and his entourage were all wearing Franklin jackets and hats. Good movie.
      @ArcSwivel
      #ArcSwivel sigpic

Comment

• rdshackleford
        Speed Bag Guru
        • Oct 2016

Please somebody here buy this so I don't have to. Don't let it go to the trash at that price.

-Rusty
        @ArcSwivel
        #ArcSwivel sigpic

Comment

• Dutchman
          Speed Bag Historian
          • Jun 2006

If it hasn't been already, eBay does an automatic relisting if an item doesn't sell the first time listed. The shipping and handling price is almost as much as they're asking for the bag. A lot of people overprice that as eBay can't take a percentage of handling and shipping charges

Comment

• rdshackleford
            Speed Bag Guru
            • Oct 2016

Originally posted by Dutchman View Post
            If it hasn't been already, eBay does an automatic relisting if an item doesn't sell the first time listed. The shipping and handling price is almost as much as they're asking for the bag. A lot of people overprice that as eBay can't take a percentage of handling and shipping charges
            I think this is one is shipped based on actual shipping cost depending on the buyers location. I do some eBay selling, and the shipping for me is what I would expect. Made in Korea, weird. Better than Pakistan or china. FU China.
            @ArcSwivel
            #ArcSwivel sigpic

Comment

• Dutchman
              Speed Bag Historian
              • Jun 2006

That was the period of time when Korea had taken over the production of lesser expensive products that had previously been made in Japan. They actually made some pretty good stuff, but their reign was short lived once China started dealing with the Western world again.

Comment

• Dutchman
                Speed Bag Historian
                • Jun 2006

As far as my interest in it, I have three long neck bags now, two Everlast 4207's and a Goldsmith MacGregor, and they are all slow, the Everlasts more so than the Goldsmith. From a collectable standpoint, the jury is still out on that.

Comment

• Speedbag
                  Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by Dutchman View Post
                  As far as my interest in it, I have three long neck bags now, two Everlast 4207's and a Goldsmith MacGregor, and they are all slow, the Everlasts more so than the Goldsmith. From a collectable standpoint, the jury is still out on that.
                  I've hit several Franklin's like this. you nailed it. Long Neck = slow. Great for the more large bag power hitters but murder on an economy 24 in board or a shaky set up.

(IF Leonard had signed it personally I would be interested...)
                  Attached Files
                  Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
                  *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
                  The Quest Continues...
                  Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• rdshackleford
                    Speed Bag Guru
                    • Oct 2016

Originally posted by Speedbag View Post
                    I've hit several Franklin's like this. you nailed it. Long Neck = slow. Great for the more large bag power hitters but murder on an economy 24 in board or a shaky set up.

(IF Leonard had signed it personally I would be interested...)
                    Very cool pic. Personally, I don't get the autograph thing. The photo is much better than graffiti on your stuff. Now if sugar ray had punched the bag, that would be cool too. (but I'm still trying to forget that celebrity ghost story crap)
                    @ArcSwivel
                    #ArcSwivel sigpic

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                    Working...