• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • luvinlife2009
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • Jan 2012

Improving a Speedbag Platform

Hello,

I am so grateful to have found this site, and it is nice to meet everyone in the forum.

I just purchased the Everlast speedbag combo set and have been using it to help me quit smoking. So far it's working, because I've replaced the habit of lighting up with working out on the bag. Here's what I purchased:

I hope I can get the help of the forum with improving on what I have. I've only been using the speedbag for a few days and have quickly discovered that I've already outgrown the rebound speed.

After reading reviews about the platform, I see that the particle board may have something to do with it. Looking at pictures on this forum also tells me I should get some external 2x4's to use to mount the support brackets.

What can help me improve the rebound speed? Should I reinforce the particle board "drum" with more wood? If so, what kind?

Also, is a leather bag better than the vinyl one that comes with the set?

How about the size of the bag? Should it be smaller?

I've been looking at the pictures of the homemade platforms on this site, and they're all awesome! Has anyone taken the set like the one I have and improved on it? Please share what you did.

Sorry for the lengthy post, I'm just really psyched about having this platform, and a new healthy habit, and want to make sure it continues to be fun...

Thanks a bunch!
    Last edited by luvinlife2009; 01-02-2012, 04:44 PM.
  • Speedbag
    Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Hello Luvinlife. Welcome to the forum. I'll try to answer some of your questions as I am very familiar with that style of economy wall unit.

Originally posted by luvinlife2009 View Post
    Hello,

I am so grateful to have found this site, and it is nice to meet everyone in the forum.

I just purchased the Everlast speedbag combo set and have been using it to help me quit smoking. So far it's working, because I've replaced the habit of lighting up with working out on the bag. Here's what I purchased:

I hope I can get the help of the forum with improving on what I have. I've only been using the speedbag for a few days and have quickly discovered that I've already outgrown the rebound speed.

After reading reviews about the platform, I see that the particle board may have something to do with it. Looking at pictures on this forum also tells me I should get some external 2x4's to use to mount the support brackets.

What can help me improve the rebound speed? Should I reinforce the particle board "drum" with more wood? If so, what kind?
    Particle board or pressed wood is a lighter, less dense surface and I have normally put a piece of ¾ inch plywood over the top to add a big of weight, then put some weighted substance such as sand bags or a 25 lb bag of dog food. In the past I had set 25-35 pound dumbbells wrapped in a blanket but I like the broader surface area of sand bags or dog food.

If the vertical wall mounts have a stable attachment directly into the wall studs behind the wall you probably don’t need the 2x4 vertical supports. Those are really helpful if you don’t get a solid attachment into studs or if the stud centers don’t match width of the vertical mounts. The vertical mounts of that unit are 16 inches.

Also, is a leather bag better than the vinyl one that comes with the set?

How about the size of the bag? Should it be smaller?
    Leather has always trumped vinyl for comfort of hand contact and lasting longer. For issues of bag speed, lately the more advanced forum members seem to be leaning more toward what's on the inside of the bag more than the outside. There have been several threads about how various bladders are making big differences in bag speed. I've never been big on changing bladders so I can't really speak from personal experience. But some pretty talented baggers in here are saying a bladder change can really make a difference in bag speed and reaction.

But generally smaller bags are faster due to the shorter rebound arc. And most bags will be a bit faster with a bit of extra air inside, however this can lead to ripping if you pound and overinflated bag.

I've been looking at the pictures of the homemade platforms on this site, and they're all awesome! Has anyone taken the set like the one I have and improved on it? Please share what you did.
    Again, I have two up in my garage just like yours. I put ¾ in plywood over the boards, with 25 pound bag of dog food on top. I normally hit 9x6 or smaller bags, but they have worked fine with 11x8 and smaller. Pounding and 11x8 may give it a bit of a problem, but my normally bag size is 8x5 and they are pretty sturdy for that.

That type of “economy setup” has served me well for over 25 years. Look here:

notice the extra wood over the top as well as a blanket with a 35 pound dumbbell in it.

Notice in that video:

:16sec: Unit at Memphis State University gym Field house (2x4 studs used due to now wooden studs In concrete block walls). Dr. Schroeder (in picture, taught how 23 years earlier..) hung that in 1995.

:38sec (tope left) Garage after shoulder surgery (board overhead left is on cover of book http://www.amazon.com/Speed-Bag-Bibl...5563310&sr=8-1
    ( still out in my garage..)

1:19 Garage hitting (1991) after neck surgery (used in Book & Video’s…. technique pictures in book were taken on this board in this place in the garage)

1:40 - 5:16 ….music & hitting (this is the unit my teaching videos. I had it initially in the garage, (1989 – 1995) then moved it into a bedroom to shoot the training video’s in 1996. Then moved it back out to the garage in 2006 where It hangs next to another one of the exact same make)

5:17 notice Primefighter wall unit in that same position. Takes a lot more wall to hang it, and it's much heavier. (I'm thinking about taking this unit down for various reasons)

There is nothing wrong with that particular system and for all the hoopla of other more expensive units, I’ve loved every hour I’ve spent under it for the 30+ years it has served me well in my own home. I only changed it out for the much heavier primefighter unit
    I put in that room to have easier and more distance adjustability. This past summer and fall almost all of my baggin' has been out in the garage with my old "cheapo" boards. especially since I'm not videoing much anymore.

But here it is again being used for workouts in past years.

"Punch Drumming" on an upright stationary cycle to a medley of songs. A total body workout and great fun!

the only major drawback for that unit is the difficulty or work needed to adjust the board height. newer units make it much easier, but you can certainly get a good workout on them with a little extra stability.

Hope it helps
    Last edited by Speedbag; 01-02-2012, 11:00 PM.
    Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
    *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
    The Quest Continues...
    Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• ebozyn
      Speed Bag Guru
      • Oct 2010

um... which swivel from the photos below came with your platform combo pack if any of these?

Thank You For Your Time.
      Welcome to the Forum.
      Attached Files

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
      Working...