X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • speedy G
    • Oct 2014

Now What?

. . . got my Art of the Bag, Deville Swivel and Speed Bag Bible. Now, does anyone sell talent by osmosis or have additional training suggestions to help acquire skills more quickly. thx.
    Attached Files
  • Del-Striking
    • Aug 2014

Originally posted by speedy G View Post
    . . . got my Art of the Bag, Deville Swivel and Speed Bag Bible. Now, does anyone sell talent by osmosis or have additional training suggestions to help acquire skills more quickly. thx.
    What's the rush? Half the fun is the journey. Gauging your improvement daily through well structured workouts. Be patient.

Comment

• rehamco1
      Speed Bag Guru
      • Aug 2013

I love my journey after trying and trying to get a hit to be actually able to do it....all I can say is wow what a feeling I would not want the art of hitting the speed bag to be easy......but maybe that is just me.

Comment

• speedy G
        • Oct 2014

so true! I am enthralled in the process - and I'm still at its inception, but thanks to y'all, I can see down the road a bit and it looks heavenly!

Comment

• fedora
          Speed Bag Guru
          • Dec 2012

Biggest tips I can offer is, don't give up on the hard combo's and just spend a lot of time under the board. After a while your brain and body will connect the dots and the bag will flow from one move to the other. The biggest sense of accomplishment is when a move you have been struggling to get finally comes.

fedora

Comment

• speedy G
            • Oct 2014

Thanks fedora. I actually feel overwhelmed, because as much as I know I can do this, I also know that it is like learning a new language while learning to walk and coordinate at the same time. I guess I feel like a big dumb baby. But like the baby, I am determined to be a fluent speed bag linguist and virtuoso.
            I now have the SBB to keep me in check and on course. peace.
            Here's my new second office.
            Attached Files

Comment

• rehamco1
              Speed Bag Guru
              • Aug 2013

what a wonderful 2nd office.....

Comment

• Del-Striking
                • Aug 2014

Thanks fedora. I actually feel overwhelmed, because as much as I know I can do this, I also know that it is like learning a new language while learning to walk and coordinate at the same time. I guess I feel like a big dumb baby. But like the baby, I am determined to be a fluent speed bag linguist and virtuoso.
                I now have the SBB to keep me in check and on course. peace.
                Here's my new second office.
                Rock on Speedy G, As I've discovered dues must be paid, this is a marathon not a sprint. Even still in a years time or much sooner you will astonish friends with your skill.

Comment

• speedy G
                  • Oct 2014

Originally posted by Del-Striking View Post
                  Rock on Speedy G, As I've discovered dues must be paid, this is a marathon not a sprint. Even still in a years time or much sooner you will astonish friends with your skill.
                  Thanks D-S,
                  I shall pay my dues - and persevere - I hope. You guys make it look so easy!
                  and thanks ZaZa for the awesome and inspiring AOTB poster! - mike
                  Attached Files

Comment

• Zaza
                    Speed Bag Guru
                    • Apr 2011

Thanks D-S,
                    I shall pay my dues - and persevere - I hope. You guys make it look so easy!
                    and thanks ZaZa for the awesome and inspiring AOTB poster! - mike
                    NICE! You have a great set-up there....enjoy!
                    Art of the Bag - A Speed Bag Story
                    http://www.artofthebag.com

Comment

• swfl
                      Speed Bag Guru
                      • Apr 2013

Very nice set-up. You sound very motivated and excited for this journey. Enjoy and hit often!

Comment

• Kinsella
                        Speed Bag Trainee
                        • Oct 2014

I've been thinking 'Now What' too. Had my bag for nearly 3 weeks now and have been pleased with progress. OK with right hand but not happy with co-ordination / timing of the left. That, however, improves. As stated above, time on the bag seems to be the answer. Think that I will just concentrate on single and double rhythms ( both hands ) for now. Would wish to advance further techniques but would like to concentrate, for now, on the basics. Do you s' baggers go along with this approach ?
                        A couple items encountered on the learning curve. Horrible noise from the chrome Everlast swivel. It took me quite some time to do what should have been obvious ! An application of grease. Why didn't I think of that in the first few days? Second problem is that my bag needs a daily pumping. Soon broke my needle inflator connection. Wanted a quick fix so did a web search. Found a useful Youtube on making a pump connector from an old biro ink tube. Cut to a sharp point and fastened into my bike pump and away !
                        Father Christmas is bringing the SBB.

Comment

• speedbag4life
                          • Jun 2007

I for one agree with the "basics" approach. If you're looking for a habit that can last, try to get to the point where you feel it rather than think it, and where punches just happen as an outflow of rhythm and timing. When just starting out, the fancy moves will look clunky, whereas the basic R-R-L-L rhythm will help you smooth out a basic groove and help your hands and body learn how to feel the rhythm. Basic techniques will also help you develop accuracy. From there, once you feel it, you can move on to bigger things.

It'll take a lot of time at first, but once you gain momentum on it, you'll progress faster than you'd think. Have fun!
                          Last edited by speedbag4life; 11-11-2014, 06:04 AM.

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                          Working...