How are bags measured? Height vs Width or Width vs Height?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Roc Stone
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Oct 2007

How are bags measured? Height vs Width or Width vs Height?

Hi All,
    This is ganna sound like the dumbest question on the 'Forum' but, how do you correctly physically measure the size of the bag?
    I naturally thought the focus of the bag is around the 'belly', Therefore I assumed you would measure from the top of the bag, going down to the belly which gives you the smaller No, and across the belly of the bag, from L - R to give you the larger No.
    The Everlast 4210 I have, I believe is suppose to measure 8x11, but I get a physical measure of 8x12.5. Also, does anyone know the legend for the Everlast sizing code system?
    Last edited by Roc Stone; 12-29-2007, 09:16 AM.
    sigpic'IRON HORSE, LIVE TO RIDE'
  • Tim
    Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

I'm not sure how they are measured... deflated maybe? It may vary from one manufacturer to the next... for example I have an 8x5 bag that is significantly smaller than another 8x5 I own (from another manufacturer).

Comment

• Speedbag
      Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by Roc Stone View Post
      Hi All,
      This is ganna sound like the dumbest question on the 'Forum' but, how do you correctly physically measure the size of the bag?
      I naturally thought the focus of the bag is around the 'belly', Therefore I assumed you would measure from the top of the bag, going down to the belly which gives you the smaller No, and across the belly of the bag, from L - R to give you the larger No.
      The Everlast 4210 I have, I believe is suppose to measure 8x11, but I get a physical measure of 8x12.5. Also, does anyone know the legend for the Everlast sizing code system?
      Yes, this must be the dumbest question ever asked.. (not hardly...)

and I don't the answer exacty, but I believe it is Bag Height x Bag diameter through the belly.

Measuring distances "ON" the bag won't work. The belly of an inflated 9x6 is almost 20 inches, and measuring from the strap to the air nozzle is almost 12inches.

So, I just did this on severel 8x5's, a few 9x6 and my 10x7, and it seems to be "close".

With the bag filled up, set it on a flat level surface. With the bag upright, place a ruler next to it so the numbers go "up" from the table surface, and you should see the "height" (tall number) comes in pretty close from the surface to the point of the bag where the strap is attached. That gave me the 8,9 & 10 measurement.

then, lay the ruler flat on the table, and place the inflated bag on the ruler, lining up the open end of the ruler with the edge of the "belly". (best to look down from over the bag to line up the edge of the belly with the open edge of the ruler). Now glance over to the other edge of the bag belly and see if it corresponds to the shorter measurement on the ruler. It did for me, indicating the diameter through the belly is the shorter 5,6 & 7.

I tried this on about 7 different bags, and it lines up pretty close.

I just found this on a web search:

"..The Everlast Vinyl Speed Bag is made of vinyl with 8 inch diameter and 11 inch tall.." which seems to bear out my crude measurement system.

On a final note: Remember, the 24 inch diameter board has the swivel in the middle, leaving about 12 inches from the swivel to the board edge (radius). Hang an 11x8 bag and the very bottom of the bag comes to the board edge. (swivel length and bag strap distance may actually put it past the board edge.)

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

About the Everlast Legend for speed bag sizes, I don't know them all, but here are a few:

8x5 = 4204
      9x6 = 4200
      10x7 = 4214, 4201 (maybe 4202 & 4213)
      11x8 = 4210, 4213, 4226(vinyl)
      over 11x8 = 4205, 4207, 4208 and 4212.

(4208 = 13x8)

Here is a helpful legend based on replacement bladders:

Balazs bladders for Everlast bags.
      Last edited by Speedbag; 12-29-2007, 12:07 PM.
      Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
      *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
      The Quest Continues...
      Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Roc Stone
        Speed Bag Guru
        • Oct 2007

Hi!

Thanks guys! Very helpful.

Comment

• Chris
          Speed Bag Trainee
          • Jan 2007

Once again...Alan is the man... If you do not have the speed bag bible...BUY IT! Its worth its weight in gold to a beginner. I know.

Comment

• Roc Stone
            Speed Bag Guru
            • Oct 2007

Yer. Recently acquired my copy of the Speed Bag Bible, finding it very informative and a great reference book. It did take quite a long time and several phone calls to the states (Ovita from Amber Sports is so lovely to talk to over the phone) for it to arrive.

I appreciate all the offers of assistance, inparticular Alan and Tim, but I thought it was something I best pursue on my own.
            Last edited by Roc Stone; 01-04-2008, 09:18 PM.

Comment

• Kyle
              Speed Bag Guru
              • Nov 2006

ya like Speedbag said it hight vs diameter. in this diagram the red wud be where its measured.
              Click image for larger version

Name:	1.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	6.6 KB
ID:	87203
              ________
              Web Shows
              Last edited by Kyle; 09-11-2011, 06:36 AM.

Comment

• Roc Stone
                Speed Bag Guru
                • Oct 2007

I find that a soft 'taylors' tape measure can be very useful for the actual measuring the dimensions of the speed bags as well!
                Last edited by Roc Stone; 01-04-2008, 10:56 PM.

Comment

• Speedbag
                  Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by Big_Nesticles View Post
                  ya like Speedbag said it hight vs diameter. in this diagram the red wud be where its measured.
                  [ATTACH]238[/ATTACH]

Nice pic, BN.
                  Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
                  *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
                  The Quest Continues...
                  Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                  Working...