• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tomek
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • Dec 2013

Heavy Bag Damage, advice?

Hi. So I recently set up this heavy bag in my room. I have been enjoying using it tremendously, but I noticed a few things that are troubling me- there is tearing along the seams that hold the bag to the chains. Also if you see the picture of the whole setup, you may notice that most of the sand (or whatever is inside) is concentrated in the bottom 3/5 of the bag. My landlord told me I need a new chain to just raise it higher- but I don't want to risk damaging the bag if the weight distribution is inappropriate by using it further (the triangles are at eye level for me, by the way)

I got the bag for free, as well as the setup...any ideas what I should do?

Here is the Imgur link to pictures of the bag.

Imgur: The magic of the Internet
    Last edited by tomek; 12-04-2013, 08:19 PM. Reason: Images didn't show up
  • Speedbag
    Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by tomek View Post
    Hi. So I recently set up this heavy bag in my room. I have been enjoying using it tremendously, but I noticed a few things that are troubling me- there is tearing along the seams that hold the bag to the chains. Also if you see the picture of the whole setup, you may notice that most of the sand (or whatever is inside) is concentrated in the bottom 3/5 of the bag. My landlord told me I need a new chain to just raise it higher- but I don't want to risk damaging the bag if the weight distribution is inappropriate by using it further (the triangles are at eye level for me, by the way)

I got the bag for free, as well as the setup...any ideas what I should do?

Here is the Imgur link to pictures of the bag.

Imgur: The magic of the Internet

Actually you don't need a new chain to raise it higher, you just need four heavy duty "S" hooks to put into the chain strands you already have. You can count up 2 or 3 links on each chain and put the new "S" hook into the chain, then bag. It will raise that bag up evenly, however I don't think it will fix your problem. That older bag style will still "settle" to the bottom, just raising the rock hard part up higher. The other issue for me is that the Big D rings at the top of the bag that hold the "S" hooks are too close together and don't distribute the bag weight evenly. I like the Heavy bags with Wider spaced D-rings at the top, kinda like this one from Titleboxing. In fact, notice all these bags have wider top D-rings than the one in your picture.

Before long I expect your bags bottom will also start bulging downward as the inside stuffing/sand starts settling further and further. The newer bags with different stuffing materials don't do this nearly as bad as they older bags.

not sure this helps, but its a suggestion.
    Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
    *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
    The Quest Continues...
    Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
    Working...