training gloves and bag gloves - are there really differences?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • t-rex
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • Mar 2008

training gloves and bag gloves - are there really differences?

Have a look at these two Title gloves:

Title training gloves
    Title bag gloves

What if I use the training gloves for a heavy bag workout? Will they wear off erlier than the bag gloves, or even worse?

Why are the training gloves offered in different weights only but not in different sizes. And why is it the other way round with the bag gloves?

Anyone who has some experience with that topic?
  • Speedbag
    Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

I think it will be a matter of personal preference and feel. I can't imagine there being a whole lot of difference in the functionality of these bag gloves.
    Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
    *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
    The Quest Continues...
    Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• atgatt
      Speed Bag Guru
      • Nov 2007

I remember a while back that I tried those gel gloves when hitting my 12 x 10 speed bag because of a bad center knuckle I have in my left hand. When I investigated the gloves, I read in other boxing forums not to use training gloves as bag gloves.

What is strange, as well-made and padded as those gel gloves were, my bad knuckle still felt it so I just went back to my light gloves and deal with it.

That extra glove weight really was felt too.

Comment

• KILROZ
        Speed Bag Trainee
        • Nov 2009

i'm wondering the same thing...

all the bag gloves allow you to choose weight AND size (regular, large, XL, etc.), while training gloves only allow you to choose weight.

this is a problem because i just order 16oz. training gloves, got them in, and they are too small for my hands. so do i need to get big bag gloves or what??

Comment

• HobbyBoxer
          Speed Bag Trainee
          • Dec 2009

I don't know if anyone is still wondering about this but I've done some research over the past few months.

The dominant sentiment is to use bag gloves for bags and sparring gloves for sparring.

Some gloves are made for both but I'd stick to what I just said above and separate the two types according to the activity.

I've read the sparring gloves will wear out a little faster on bags and that bag gloves aren't quite designed for sparring.

If you can only afford one pair for both activities, try to find a pair of gloves with a title something like "Sparring/Bag Gloves".

I'll be getting a separate pair for each activity - starting with bag gloves for a bag I am about to purchase. I don't spar yet anyways but hopefully some day

~HobbyBoxer~

Comment

• fingers
            Speed Bag Guru
            • May 2008

I tend to use bag gloves where the thumb is free as when i am slamming into a 100lb heavy bag i dont want my thumb in an unnatural position which the appear to be in with the training glove! these are the bag glove i use.....old school http://www.boxingequipmentshop.com/a...Bag_Mitts.html

Comment

• SpeedKilz
              • Dec 2009

Originally posted by fingers View Post
              I tend to use bag gloves where the thumb is free as when i am slamming into a 100lb heavy bag i dont want my thumb in an unnatural position which the appear to be in with the training glove! these are the bag glove i use.....old school http://www.boxingequipmentshop.com/a...Bag_Mitts.html
              Are choices couldn't be any more different in bag gloves Fingers! I use the Title GEL World Bag Gloves. They have worked great for me when on the heavy bag & double end bag

Comment

• fingers
                Speed Bag Guru
                • May 2008

Originally posted by SpeedKilz View Post
                Are choices couldn't be any more different in bag gloves Fingers! I use the Title GEL World Bag Gloves. They have worked great for me when on the heavy bag & double end bag

http://store.titleboxing.com/gel-equipment.html
                Hi Speedkilz!! all a matter of personal choice i guess! i am just set in my ways (old school) i just like to keep my thumb out of the way. i tried training gloves once it felt a bit awkward for me.

Comment

• HobbyBoxer
                  Speed Bag Trainee
                  • Dec 2009

Originally posted by SpeedKilz View Post

http://store.titleboxing.com/gel-equipment.html
                  That reminds me a little of the Ringside IMF Tech pair. I'm looking at several different pairs of bag gloves right now - three or four are from Title. I think I'll start a new thread since I could use a little help in deciding.

Hey Fingers, is that a 4x6 in your Avatar pic? That speed bag looks x-small!

~HobbyBoxer~

Comment

• fingers
                    Speed Bag Guru
                    • May 2008

Originally posted by HobbyBoxer View Post
                    That reminds me a little of the Ringside IMF Tech pair. I'm looking at several different pairs of bag gloves right now - three or four are from Title. I think I'll start a new thread since I could use a little help in deciding.

Hey Fingers, is that a 4x6 in your Avatar pic? That speed bag looks x-small!

~HobbyBoxer~
                    Hey HobbyBoxer!! yes that is an Everlast Ex small 6x4! cost me a fortune to import from the US we cant seem to get 6x4 bags in the UK, the only one we can get is the Cleto Reyes 5x8 which is smaller than the Everlast 6x4 both great bags.

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                    Working...