• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • eltorohmp
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • Dec 2008

Double double end bag

I work the Mexican sway bag with combos and footwork. A bit sloppy and loopy, plus the footage isn't very clear. http://youtube.com/watch?v=sAQQjUIRhxA
    Last edited by eltorohmp; 02-02-2009, 09:35 PM.
  • Speedbag
    Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Nice footwork. Looks like you've got great movement and balance. I've never hit that style bag. Looks like fun.
    Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
    *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
    The Quest Continues...
    Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Tim
      Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

Looks real good man.

Sigh..I miss the double end bag. My joints just can't take the punishment of lots of punching any more though.

Comment

• eltorohmp
        Speed Bag Trainee
        • Dec 2008

sway bag woes

Originally posted by Tim View Post
        Looks real good man.

Sigh..I miss the double end bag. My joints just can't take the punishment of lots of punching any more though.
        Yeah I can relate. My hands are a mess plus the fact that arthritis is in the cards makes me squeamish and tentative when working any bag. I try to focus on my technique, timing and rhythm instead of trying to kill it. I also protect my hands as much as possible by wearing 4 oz. mma gloves inside my 16 oz. bag gloves. It weighs you down and is tiring but the effects are better conditioned arms and safer hands. Thanks for the good words guys, I'd like to see Alan on the sway bag with his lightning hands, or you Tim with your impeccable timing. I believe the dbl end bag is the most intricate and rewarding of the bags, and just as fun as the speedbag...

Comment

• metaldad
          Speed Bag Guru
          • Apr 2007

Originally posted by eltorohmp View Post
          Yeah I can relate. My hands are a mess plus the fact that arthritis is in the cards makes me squeamish and tentative when working any bag. I try to focus on my technique, timing and rhythm instead of trying to kill it. I also protect my hands as much as possible by wearing 4 oz. mma gloves inside my 16 oz. bag gloves. It weighs you down and is tiring but the effects are better conditioned arms and safer hands. Thanks for the good words guys, I'd like to see Alan on the sway bag with his lightning hands, or you Tim with your impeccable timing. I believe the dbl end bag is the most intricate and rewarding of the bags, and just as fun as the speedbag...
          Man you ain't kidding!! I love the Dbl end bag! Using it along with the speedbag and heavy in a circuit is also brutal!!
          sigpic

Comment

• eltorohmp
            Speed Bag Trainee
            • Dec 2008

Originally posted by metaldad View Post
            Man you ain't kidding!! I love the Dbl end bag! Using it along with the speedbag and heavy in a circuit is also brutal!!
            Yeah and aside from being a tough workout each bag offers a different aspect such as speed, power and agitlity... my favorite workout by far...

Comment

• atgatt
              Speed Bag Guru
              • Nov 2007

It seems I always include the double end bag as part of the workout along with the speed bags.

The two double end bags I have are the small Title and the large Everlast 4222. The title is easy on the body because it is so light but the Everlast comes back at you with a lot more force. Still, I don't find the double end bags any worse on joints than speed bags. That's not to say after a half hour my bad right shoulder says, enough. I've also learned to hit for about 3 minutes, then do a set of squats, hit, squates, ..... It gives the upper then lower body rests while keep the exercise constant.

For me, I always wear hand protection. Although light, it helps the knuckles.

Comment

• MikeTarheel
                • Sep 2009

Originally posted by atgatt View Post
                It seems I always include the double end bag as part of the workout along with the speed bags.

The two double end bags I have are the small Title and the large Everlast 4222. The title is easy on the body because it is so light but the Everlast comes back at you with a lot more force. Still, I don't find the double end bags any worse on joints than speed bags. That's not to say after a half hour my bad right shoulder says, enough. I've also learned to hit for about 3 minutes, then do a set of squats, hit, squates, ..... It gives the upper then lower body rests while keep the exercise constant.

For me, I always wear hand protection. Although light, it helps the knuckles.
                Wow, that's kind of what I've just installed. I'm working on kind of a... lower impact movement routine with some 'controlled' kicking from either side of the station. I keep them relatively soft/inflated. I need to do more stretching and get more limber - I'm no martial artist - I do NOT kick at the speed bag. My photos are in the photo page. I'd like to learn more about how to work the DBE bags. Love this forum! Phone call.

Comment

• atgatt
                  Speed Bag Guru
                  • Nov 2007

Mike, in other posts I show a rectangular frame I made for he DEB. To me it is ridiculous to just try to hit them straight so they come back straight. Adding the frame allows many more angles to punch at without the DEB going all over the place. I love practicing left and right hooks as the bag comes back at me suddenly. It has really helped with my timing doing that.

Comment

• MikeTarheel
                    • Sep 2009

Originally posted by atgatt View Post
                    Mike, in other posts I show a rectangular frame I made for he DEB. To me it is ridiculous to just try to hit them straight so they come back straight. Adding the frame allows many more angles to punch at without the DEB going all over the place. I love practicing left and right hooks as the bag comes back at me suddenly. It has really helped with my timing doing that.
                    I agree with that, atgatt. You want it loose and --- able to throw different angles back at you. I've seen some good vids on the net for it but I've never seen anything like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8IPb_sp4A1s

It's Shane Mosley training on a SMALL double end bag - which starts about half way through the vid. At about half way through the deb bag portion he really gets DISTURBING -- I mean SERIOUS PRECISION. I don't imagine I could ever get anywhere near that kind of talent, but it's nice to see somebody really exhibit the art. There are some other vids of guys on larger bags who show more of what I am hoping to develop; the double jabs, the 1-2 followed by the hook (I'm a Southpaw).

I hope you get a chance to see this vid - it's a Treat, about half way through he goes to work on the Double Ender.

Comment

• atgatt
                      Speed Bag Guru
                      • Nov 2007

Mike, I have seen that vid before. My unprofessional, guessing, not-worthy-of listening-to comment about it is this, I'm not quit sure about precision aspect of it. The cords are taut, his gloves are big and have flat surface. What amazes me more than the precision is his bloody fast speed. For crying out loud, the guy is wearing big training gloves which have some weight and his arms are still a blur. One fast dude!

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                      Working...