• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Chris M
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Mar 2006

Originally posted by Pegasos View Post
    I d like to be i guess, but i dont even own a car i m afraid!

Let me ask you something, what kind of wood would be the best to use for being against a speedbag? I mean, making the least noise and most importantly having a good rebound and the least possible vibration? And what thickness should it have? Any ideas? cause i m thinking of changing the wood..
    I think the words quiet and best rebound are exclusive, that is, I don't think you can have both. What I mean by that is, in order to get the best rebound, my guess is that you want the hardest or densest surface possible. It's my guess that if you get the hardest and/or densest surface, it will also be the loudest.

I'm making some assumptions here, I don't have anything to back it up other than my observations of basketball courts.

Hard maple should be the best choice because it is the densest wood that is readily available in North America. Yes, I know there are much denser woods available; Cocobola and Ebony come to mind, but they're very very expensive. They also make basketball floors out of maple because they are very durable and resistant to dents and wear.

My second choice for a drum would be cherry, which is what I made my drum out of, mostly because I had several hundred board feet of cherry laying around my shop when the idea occurred to me to make one.

Third, and probably the most economical would be hickory.

Fourth would be oak, namely, white oak, and lastly red oak.

Last would be pine because it is the softest but the cheapest by far. It also dents very easily. Hell, you can dent pine by pushing it with your fingernail. I think even MDF would be harder than pine but if MDF gets wet, it's ruined forever.

The bigger question is, would you, or could you really notice a difference in sound between the different woods? I don't know. I suppose the argument could be made that denser woods may even be quieter because they would tend to absorb sound better, I don't know, it may do just the opposite. Perhaps Alan could shed some light on this since he has hit many many more different kinds of platforms than most of us.

As far as vibration goes, I think vibration is reduced with weight, whether it's from the frame and drum itself or in combination with a sandbag. I know for a fact that you can make a significant difference in noise and vibration on every platform I've owned (3 of them) by putting the largest possible sandbag on top.

So, I'm not sure if I answered your question or not, these are my personal observations and opinions. Your Mileage May Vary as they say.

Comment

• jaguiler
      Speed Bag Guru
      • Jan 2007

Last would be pine because it is the softest but the cheapest by far. It also dents very easily. Hell, you can dent pine by pushing it with your fingernail. I think even MDF would be harder than pine but if MDF gets wet, it's ruined forever.
      Get this - Pine is soft - and you can dig into it easily with your nail - (unless) you have it Polyurathened.... but anyway I digress.
      Since pine is soft - it will absord the impact better - thus it is a deader and quieter sound. Maple will give you the best rebound because it is hard.
      The softness of the pine is not an issue - since the ball rebounding will never make a mark on it - it is too soft and has more give than the pine. You can only hurt pine when you hit it with something harder than the pine itself. Plus the surface area of the speedbag will also disipate the force.
      So I say the PIne is the quietest

Comment

• Pegasos
        • Feb 2007

Hmm, i really am curious what kind of wood it is i m currently using..

Comment

• Pegasos
          • Feb 2007

Ok, here is how my "platform" looks like, now that i bought a few swivels and also a medium size speedbag as you can see

i also bought (ordered) a small speedbag, completing my set of three! ( i m not trying to advertise the damn firm by the way)

this swivel obviously opens by this thingie

but i also bought this one, and i cant understand how it opens! any ideas?

Comment

• Dutchman
            Speed Bag Historian
            • Jun 2006

Looks like you need a couple of crescent wrenches to undo the locknut on the end of the pin on the bottom loop.

Comment

• Kyle
              Speed Bag Guru
              • Nov 2006

yup you jus need to unscrew the one end with a couple wrenches that fit each side. i have a very similar swivel to that one.
              ________
              Medical Marijuana
              Last edited by Kyle; 09-11-2011, 06:17 AM.

Comment

• jaguiler
                Speed Bag Guru
                • Jan 2007

your platform is MDF - it is chipboard (wood made out of chips of smaller wood glued together - then veneered with a piece of solid wood)
                Your next upgrade should be the wood to a solid wood if possible, thicker, and the brackets (although a good idea) they can be stronger...
                maybe get heavier shelf brackets or weight the board with some sand.

but this looks like a great start !

Comment

• Pegasos
                  • Feb 2007

Well sorry, stupid question, it just appeared to me that the screw in the swivel was "cut" in the end so that it would be permanently in place.... it seems it just unscrews normally..

Comment

• Kyle
                    Speed Bag Guru
                    • Nov 2006

Well sorry, stupid question, it just appeared to me that the screw in the swivel was "cut" in the end so that it would be permanently in place.... it seems it just unscrews normally..
                    no such thing as a stupid question thats why we have this forum so feel free to ask any questions thats why were here to answer all questions what ever other people does not know im sure someone else will know here.
                    ________
                    Jomtien beach condo
                    Last edited by Kyle; 09-11-2011, 06:17 AM.

Comment

• Pegasos
                      • Feb 2007

I m actually going to order a pine piece on Monday, to use from now on, because i m surrounded by old ladies in my small appartment, and sound is essential to be minimizes in my speedbag sessions...

any suggestions how thick i should order it to be??

Comment

• BillyMack
                        • Sep 2006

i m surrounded by old ladies in my small appartment

any suggestions how thick i should order it to be??
                        LOL...if only they weren't old, you'd be a lucky guy...

I think you should get it as thick as you can afford, it will be worth it in the long run...

Comment

• Chris M
                          Speed Bag Guru
                          • Mar 2006

If you can find any, Ash is an excellent wood for a speed bag drum also. It's very hard and a little denser than oak. It's what Louisville Sluggers (the baseball bats) are made out of.

Depending on where you live, it may be kind of scarce or if you live in the Eastern US, it's plentiful and almost as cheap as pine. It's not much to look at, but it's a great hardwood if you're not after beauty as well.

I made some adirondack chairs out of that stuff about 5 years ago. I leave them outside year 'round and they're not even beginning to show any weathering. I do keep them painted, but the wood is not even beginning to rot. They're very heavy though. No one is going to walk off with them, that's for sure.

Comment

• Pegasos
                            • Feb 2007

Originally posted by BillyMack View Post
                            LOL...if only they weren't old, you'd be a lucky guy...

LOLOLOL, you re very right man, i m a single guy living in this 50 year old building in the 4th floor, its in the heart of the city, its like the street i live in is full of bars, rock bars, cafeterias, eating places..

But the building itself is s**t, its old ladies all around me, they are bitchy about the noise, and listen to this: they have been fiercely arguing with each other for issues of the building for about the last 30 YEARS, who is going to pay for that thing fixed, who is responsible for that thing broken etc! So its not like mother Terezas, they are MEAN damn old women, who are waiting for death to come in their miserable appartments, they hate each other and i m in the middle of this! I cant afford to move elsewhere, cause i ll have to pay the rent, while this house belongs to my family..

There is only one young woman in the 2nd floor, pretty and sexy, with two children, and i know her husband.... no luck there obviously..

AND there are two sisters, very pretty, they are singers and work together, i say hello to them, they are quite hot, but pretty distant and a bit snobbish, the "cultured" type... they live on the 1st floor.

I think you should get it as thick as you can afford, it will be worth it in the long run...
                            I m mostly interested on the sound firstly, as minimized as possible, and then the rebound capacity..
                            Last edited by Pegasos; 05-12-2007, 09:32 PM.

Comment

• Pegasos
                              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Chris M View Post
                              If you can find any, Ash is an excellent wood for a speed bag drum also. It's very hard and a little denser than oak. It's what Louisville Sluggers (the baseball bats) are made out of.

Depending on where you live, it may be kind of scarce or if you live in the Eastern US, it's plentiful and almost as cheap as pine. It's not much to look at, but it's a great hardwood if you're not after beauty as well.
                              Its scarce in the Eastern US eh? How about in the Balcans where i m located? lol

i think i ll go for pine for the moment..

I made some adirondack chairs out of that stuff about 5 years ago. I leave them outside year 'round and they're not even beginning to show any weathering. I do keep them painted, but the wood is not even beginning to rot. They're very heavy though. No one is going to walk off with them, that's for sure.

Well done

Comment

• jaguiler
                                Speed Bag Guru
                                • Jan 2007

AND there are two sisters, very pretty, they are singers and work together, i say hello to them, they are quite hot, but pretty distant and a bit snobbish, the "cultured" type... they live on the 1st floor.
                                say "ela eh..." to them for me when you see them... I can't spell in greek so it is phonetic.

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                                Working...