X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SirMalikCobra
    • Jan 2013

Beginning boxers jumping the gun

If anyone has ever trained in a boxing gym, you have all seen at one time or another new fighters wanting to hit mitts, punch bags, or even spar without knowing the foundation to boxing. Beginning fighters should be spending hours in the mirror before any of these more advanced things are done. Learning how to get into a conventional stance and exhibiting proper foot placement is key. How can you hit targets or spar without this knowledge? Keys to remember, boxing is not street fighting. Learn your craft and perfect it. The master boxer learns through rigorous work and hours and hours of repetition.

Whichever skill level you are, it makes no difference, the things that set fighters apart are the preparation, heart, and dedication! If boxing is something you would like to master, take heed and dedicate yourself to your craft, forget the gimmicks and the allure of all of the gyms gizmos until you have mastered your foundation.

Safe boxing my friends,
    Safe boxing, enjoy!
    SirMalikCobra
    Your mind will quit before your body will
    Train your mind twice as hard as you train your body
    And you will be a force to be reckoned with

Personal quote by:
    SirMalikCobra
    sigpic
  • bbally
    • Jan 2013

I might add also master setting your anaerobic levels to there max with interval training. Something the MIT hitters don't like to do because you sweat and feel like death warmed over after the workout.
    sgt
    USMC 79-85

Thanks to all who continue to serve... and to those that answered the call in the past!

Comment

• SirMalikCobra
      • Jan 2013

Thumbs up BBally!

Personal quote by:
      SirMalikCobra
      sigpic

Comment

• Speedbag
        Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by SirMalikCobra View Post
        If anyone has ever trained in a boxing gym, you have all seen at one time or another new fighters wanting to hit mitts, punch bags, or even spar without knowing the foundation to boxing. Beginning fighters should be spending hours in the mirror before any of these more advanced things are done. Learning how to get into a conventional stance and exhibiting proper foot placement is key. How can you hit targets or spar without this knowledge? Keys to remember, boxing is not street fighting. Learn your craft and perfect it. The master boxer learns through rigorous work and hours and hours of repetition.

Whichever skill level you are, it makes no difference, the things that set fighters apart are the preparation, heart, and dedication! If boxing is something you would like to master, take heed and dedicate yourself to your craft, forget the gimmicks and the allure of all of the gyms gizmos until you have mastered your foundation.
        Safe boxing my friends,
        Safe boxing, enjoy!
        SirMalikCobra
        Practicing the very basic moves of any skill or sport will never go out of style, except for those of inpatience - who are more impressed with the "flash" of more advanced movements, rather than the real skill it takes to make it with full understanding.
        Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
        *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
        The Quest Continues...
        Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• bbally
          • Jan 2013

Originally posted by Speedbag View Post
          Practicing the very basic moves of any skill or sport will never go out of style, except for those of inpatience - who are more impressed with the "flash" of more advanced movements, rather than the real skill it takes to make it with full understanding.
          I will second that Alan!
          sgt
          USMC 79-85

Thanks to all who continue to serve... and to those that answered the call in the past!

Comment

• SirMalikCobra
            • Jan 2013

Yes indeed Alan. You and some of the other guys I have seen on here punching the bag is the perfect example. You guys hit the bag so well that people want to jump right into advance moves within the first encounters of their bag experiences. Don't get me wrong, to aspire to be great is fine, but to expect to do something it took a guy hours, months, and years to do in your first attempts is in my opinion way past aspiration!

Learning the basics of anything allows you not only to progress, but to actually explain and show someone else the steps it takes to get to greatness. Crawling is the stepping stone to walking.

Personal quote by:
            SirMalikCobra
            sigpic

Comment

• bentlay
              Speed Bag Trainee
              • Jan 2013

That is one of the most important thing in boxing that how to make yourself safe and how to defend from the opponent.
              I appreciate you for giving this useful set of punches.I will use it for sure.

Fitness Business
              Last edited by bentlay; 02-02-2013, 09:30 AM.

Comment

• SirMalikCobra
                • Jan 2013

You're welcome...
                Trust me it's not a chore. I eat, sleep, and live boxing. I try to exchange receive and give information as frequently as possible. I never stop learning. I'll always be a student of the game. When I stop learning, it's time for me to move on. Are you in gym currently?

Personal quote by:
                SirMalikCobra
                sigpic

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                Working...