• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • raydazn
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • Sep 2007

Mount platform on a door?

Hi, im new, and im looking to buy a speedball platform for my granny flat. Its a small room and i cant think of anywhere other than putting my speedball on this sliding door. one thing im concerned about is the vibration of the door.. but i like the placement because i could slide it in and out of the way.. would the vibration of the door or any factor for that matter cause me to want to find a better place for the speed ball platform? the door moves about 3mm or 1/10 of an inch under at most under force.

Having it here gives me space to do at most a semi circle around it.. other places for my room, id have to move stuff around and at best would achieve a corner to put it in..
    Attached Files
  • Speedbag
    Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by raydazn View Post
    Hi, im new, and im looking to buy a speedball platform for my granny flat. Its a small room and i cant think of anywhere other than putting my speedball on this sliding door. one thing im concerned about is the vibration of the door.. but i like the placement because i could slide it in and out of the way.. would the vibration of the door or any factor for that matter cause me to want to find a better place for the speed ball platform? the door moves about 3mm or 1/10 of an inch under at most under force.

Having it here gives me space to do at most a semi circle around it.. other places for my room, id have to move stuff around and at best would achieve a corner to put it in..
    Hi Raydazn, welcome to the forum.

geez. Your first post, and your playing stump the band..?

Man, you pose an interesting question. In 35 years of speed baggin', I have never heard this one. ..Speed bag on a sliding door.... or a moving wall, for that matter.

My first thought would be: is that a hollow core door? I bet if it is not solid hardwood, it wouldn't be strong enough to support the weight of a wall unit, and certainly would not hold up under the vibration. The door might come out of the track.

If it is a real hardwood door, then it may support a lightweight inexpensive wall unit. In that case I would think you could add some support by bracing the door from behind with a pressure bar of some sort to reduce the floor track movement. Something like adjustable shower rods that could provide pressure from the other direction. I would think several would be needed, but this is just a guess.

come to think of it - I have never seen a corner speed bag set up that I can remember. It would be really easy to make, and that might be your best alternative.

OK, woodshop guys, jump in anytime.
    Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
    *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
    The Quest Continues...
    Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Chris M
      Speed Bag Guru
      • Mar 2006

There are a couple of things to consider before you do this:

1. As Alan said, is it a hollow core or solid door? A hollow core door will probably not be able to withstand the weight and the constant banging because the door outer panels are usually very thin and it won't last long. If it's a solid core door, I wouldn't mount it on there if the door is less than 1 1/2" thick.

2. Noise. It's going to be hella noisy with the door vibrating on the sliding track.

3. Vibration. We have enough problems from time to time with all but the most expensive platforms mounted in brick and/or cinder block walls. Vibration is bad because it really kills the rebound and makes learning difficult and frustrating. Most of us have 40 or 50 pounds (or more) of sandbags on top of our platforms to dampen the vibration and it works well.

4. Door/sliding track construction. How is this thing made? Most sliding doors are held on by gravity, that is, you only have to lift them up about an inch or so to take them off the track. If you get to wailing on a 8x11 bag, it's going to knock that sucker off the track. Also, how is the sliding mechanism constructed? Most of the sliding doors that I've seen are held in place with thin nylon rollers and they simply are not made to hold a speed bag platform in place. You may have an old one that is made of cast iron, but carefully inspect and evaluate how this door is held in place before you start drilling.

I don't mean to discourage your innovative thinking, but I'd hate to see you lose your enthusiasm on speedbagging because you can't make any progress because your platform is mounted in a bad location. Then again, there were probably a few people that told Alan Kahn that there were certain things he couldn't do either. Don't be discouraged and continue to try to be innovative, I just want you to be aware of some of the issues you may face. I do think conceptually it's a great idea.
      Last edited by Chris M; 09-12-2007, 07:49 AM.

Comment

• raydazn
        Speed Bag Trainee
        • Sep 2007

Hey guys thanks, its great to be welcomed by the vets. I have to say, when my bro got a speedball stand in his appartment and i tried it out.. i just had to buy one.

So yeh, thanks for the advice.. i pretty much scrapped the idea of putting it onto the sliding door since everyones saying vibration is bad and its more trouble than its worth. I found out for myself about vibration when i had forgotten to tighten a couple of bolts.

basically what i did was rearrange my room completely to free up a wall.. i used lengths of wood i got from bunnings (i guess australian equivalent to your home depot) and spread em across lengthwise so i could drill them into the studs and mount the platform properly.. my rooms a bit messy, from just rearranging and installing but im really happy with the ball.. i used 2x2.5lbs wrist weights i had lying around as weight on the top to reduce vibration.. its turning out good.. im gna put up the everlast ball on the platform as soon as i pump it up..

its almost midnight here so im gonna go have a little practice session and go to bed.. thanks guys
        Attached Files

Comment

• Chris M
          Speed Bag Guru
          • Mar 2006

Good luck.

I see what looks like a classical guitar laying there, do you play? I've been playing a short time myself and have really enjoyed it. I've been playing electric and just bought myself a really sweet Ibanez Artcore semi-hollow electric.

As if I need another hobby to practice, LOL!

Comment

• raydazn
            Speed Bag Trainee
            • Sep 2007

haha.. chris your spoiling yourself. i've been playing on and off for a few years now.. mostly been teaching myself.. its come to the point where.. im just learning one really good song at time (at the moment its classical gas, i just cant get around to playing as fast and crisp).also if im ever forced to play infront of a crowd coz someone puts me on the spot at a party.. at least i can belt one or two good songs and go off the stage humbly.. but yeh.. i've noticed that im also have too much hobbies (and university) that each one doesnt get enough time.. life is short =(

oh and man, you guys make the speed ball(bag) look so easy.. the ball that came with the everlast platform is too small and too fast.. had to use the generic one my brother gave me.. its really difficult to hit it straight.. after about ten or twenty punches a wild one comes out and the ball spins around the platform in a circle.. but i cant seem to stop myself from trying to get it right, its so addictive
            Last edited by raydazn; 09-12-2007, 09:47 AM.

Comment

• Chris M
              Speed Bag Guru
              • Mar 2006

you guys make the speed ball(bag) look so easy..
              Good guitar players make it look easy too. Although I'm nowhere near being a good guitar player, I know from doing anything else that it takes practice, practice, practice and pretty soon you wonder what was so friggin' hard about it in the beginning. All of a sudden, things just start coming naturally and you "get it". I've actually been able to bring some things I learned on the speed bag to guitar in that I make myself practice at least 30 minutes every day working on things I already know and spending maybe 10 or 15 minutes working on something new and working on being comfortable with one thing before I move on to the next and reminding myself that I didn't walk up the bag and do a triple elbow strike any more than I can belt out a Stevie Ray Vaughn song yet. I say "yet" because I'm determined to accomplish it and I think determination is probably one of the most important ingredient at getting good at anything. At some point, just like in the guitar and speed bag, you find you can do something with relative ease that you've been struggling with for a while and find you can do it again and again with no problem. At that point, I work on doing it faster until it looks like a very easy and fluid movement.

Eric Clapton, BB King, and Alan Kahn were beginners at one point too. But now they are the standard bearers of excellence in their fields of expertise!

Bet that's the first time you've been mentioned in the same sentence with them, huh Alan?
              Last edited by Chris M; 09-12-2007, 12:39 PM.

Comment

• Chris M
                Speed Bag Guru
                • Mar 2006

ps, Take a close look at Alan's page, particularly the media section. There are excellent tips and information there: http://www.speedbagcentral.com/

Comment

• Speedbag
                  Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by Chris M View Post
                  ...Eric Clapton, BB King, and Alan Kahn were beginners at one point too. But now they are the standard bearers of excellence in their fields of expertise!

Bet that's the first time you've been mentioned in the same sentence with them, huh Alan?
                  Yes it is. But I could get in to hangin' with Eric and BB. I'm a picker also, and I love to take a lesson from those guys...

by the way raydazn, nice job on your speed bag setup. The wall board runners will help stabilize the the unit.
                  Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
                  *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
                  The Quest Continues...
                  Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                  Working...