X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Crapsterface
    • Nov 2009

Watkins Swivel

I got my watkins ballhook. it was a little bit slower then I thought. reacts well. It dosent build up momentum and get faster as u hit i noticed. It stays the same speed. it was really loud aswell. So I took a crayon and colored the ball. it made it quiet, and I believe it even goes faster now. It dosent last long. As I kept recoloring after the wax worn off I think it started to last a little bit longer each time. I did it 4 or 5 times so far. I recomend it. of course at your own risks. everyone could hav different preferences. But the wax works good for me. theres probly a better wax I couldev use for it, that was just an experiment. For those of us that will try it I think youll be even happier with the perfomance. As long as u dont mind a colered ball LOL.
    Last edited by Crapsterface; 02-16-2010, 09:02 PM.
  • gvee127
    • Feb 2010

Using a crayon... that's a really creative idea, I might try that. I too had the same impressions when I got mine a couple of weeks ago so I put some plumber's grease I got from home depot (~$2) around the metal ball and it helped reduce the clanking sound and moved better. The lubricant seems to hold up well too. Later this week I'm gonna try this from the Archive section of the forum using the Watkins metal ball with the Everlast plastic housing and hook.
    Last edited by gvee127; 02-16-2010, 10:10 PM.

Comment

• Speedbag
      Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by gvee127 View Post
      Using a crayon... that's a really creative idea, I might try that. I too had the same impressions when I got mine a couple of weeks ago so I put some plumber's grease I got from home depot (~$2) around the metal ball and it helped reduce the clanking sound and moved better. The lubricant seems to hold up well too. Later this week I'm gonna try this from the Archive section of the forum using the Watkins metal ball with the Everlast plastic housing and hook.
      I think you'll find it fast and quiet.
      Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
      *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
      The Quest Continues...
      Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• royalewifcheese
        • Jul 2008

Originally posted by Speedbag View Post
        yes, the hybrid approach works well. less noise and less friction(more speed)! great combination.

Comment

• Speedbagskater
          Speed Bag Trainee
          • Feb 2010

Originally posted by Crapsterface View Post
          I got my watkins ballhook. it was a little bit slower then I thought. reacts well. It dosent build up momentum and get faster as u hit i noticed. It stays the same speed. it was really loud aswell. So I took a crayon and colored the ball. it made it quiet, and I believe it even goes faster now. It dosent last long. As I kept recoloring after the wax worn off I think it started to last a little bit longer each time. I did it 4 or 5 times so far. I recomend it. of course at your own risks. everyone could hav different preferences. But the wax works good for me. theres probly a better wax I couldev use for it, that was just an experiment. For those of us that will try it I think youll be even happier with the perfomance. As long as u dont mind a colered ball LOL.
          I have used a lil bit of Vaseline to help speed up the metal ball swivel action, its cheap and rarely ever messy, less friction means less noise too, also by changing how much the eye bolt sticks out you can gain a lil bit of speed, and by checking out the advice on the speed bag central page, the tape wrapped around the shaft of the eye bolt will also make it less noisy..

Comment

• metaldad
            Speed Bag Guru
            • Apr 2007

I know somewhere in the archives section of the forum where Skunk did something similar, replacing the metal with the plastic.

Alan, is this the same swivel you gave me?
            sigpic

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by metaldad View Post
              I know somewhere in the archives section of the forum where Skunk did something similar, replacing the metal with the plastic.

Alan, is this the same swivel you gave me?
              Was that a plastic housing with a metal ball inside? Sorry I can't remember what I gave to whom anymore....

If it was, then yes that is the same.
              Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• goju
                • Aug 2009

It's a plastic ball / metal housing.. i use the same set up and it works well. Nice and fast and not too loud.

Comment

• gvee127
                  • Feb 2010

Thanks Alan, I finally got around to setting it up and must say this a great combo swivel. It seems just as fast if not faster than my greased up Watkins swivel and a LOT less noisy. Thanks again to Alan and Biff for recommending this.

I'm curious if there's any significant difference between the Watkins and Everlast metal balls. Has anyone compared the two in a plastic or metal housing?
                  Last edited by gvee127; 02-23-2010, 09:28 AM.

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Thanks Alan, I finally got around to setting it up and must say this a great combo swivel. It seems just as fast if not faster than my greased up Watkins swivel and a LOT less noisy. Thanks again to Alan and Biff for recommending this.

I'm curious if there's any significant difference between the Watkins and Everlast metal balls. Has anyone compared the two in a plastic or metal housing?
                    These pictures show an everlast metal ball inside the plastic housing.
                    Note the different shapes of the various balls. Although I didn't get a picture of it, The tapered edge of the Watkins will protrude slightly from the hole in the plastic housing. The bottom of the flat Everlast flat ball will not (shown) The Everlast ball will make for a slightly shorter rebound arc but it is a barely noticeable change in speed. Both metal balls work very well inside the plastic housing. I have not found a metal housing that is tall enough to easily accomodate the fully round plastic ball. That's OK since I'd rather not use it anyway. With the metal ball inside the plastic housing I get all the trouble free action of a ballhook and the quieter rebound of the metal on plastic.
                    Attached Files
                    Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• ote888
                      Speed Bag Trainee
                      • Feb 2010

mine was making noise to....like it makes a friction..... well may i know if ...a

lubricant like

WD-40 will work??? or it could make it worse??? thanks!

Comment

• royalewifcheese
                        • Jul 2008

Originally posted by ote888 View Post
                        mine was making noise to....like it makes a friction..... well may i know if ...a

lubricant like

WD-40 will work??? or it could make it worse??? thanks!
                        it won't work for long, lithium grease would be better. look inside the housing and you'll see machine marks get those puppies polished out. another aproach is to go with the hybrid swiv. everlast plastic housing with the watkins ball.

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by royalewifcheese View Post
                          it won't work for long, lithium grease would be better. look inside the housing and you'll see machine marks get those puppies polished out. another aproach is to go with the hybrid swiv. everlast plastic housing with the watkins ball.
                          I have not really tried that mix on the board yet. I've had a pretty fair collection of Everlast steel balls, which are flatter, and have made several of those. I may dig out my Watkins balls and drop them through a plastic housing. Actually, I'm short on plastic housing for they are getting hard to find. I imagine the watkins tapered shape works great in a plastic housing.
                          Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Biff
                            Speed Bag Wizard

• Feb 2008

I have not really tried that mix on the board yet. I've had a pretty fair collection of Everlast steel balls, which are flatter, and have made several of those. I may dig out my Watkins balls and drop them through a plastic housing. Actually, I'm short on plastic housing for they are getting hard to find. I imagine the watkins tapered shape works great in a plastic housing.
                            I hope to find out for myself. I'm waiting over 2 weeks now for fitness-equipment to fill my order for 3 replacement steel balls and the longer S-hook. Called twice and was told the order is "being processed."

A few months ago when I ordered the replacements with the shorter hooks, they told me the shorter S-hooks were on back order. After waiting several months for their supply to get replenished, I told them just send the replacements with the longer hooks. Still waiting.

Never had a problem with them until recently. Not sure what's up with them lately.

Comment

• riqal
                              Speed Bag Guru
                              • Aug 2006

Originally posted by Biff View Post
                              I hope to find out for myself. I'm waiting over 2 weeks now for fitness-equipment to fill my order for 3 replacement steel balls and the longer S-hook. Called twice and was told the order is "being processed."

A few months ago when I ordered the replacements with the shorter hooks, they told me the shorter S-hooks were on back order. After waiting several months for their supply to get replenished, I told them just send the replacements with the longer hooks. Still waiting.

Never had a problem with them until recently. Not sure what's up with them lately.
                              sounds like they need to get their heads out of thier rear ends

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                              Working...