• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Speedbag
    Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by Bag-A-Holic View Post
    Yeah, I was going for the noise... I didnt know the performance would get better, that's until I tried it. Much quiter and better control. Also, I got impatient waiting for the ball bearings, (coming tomorrow), so to get rid of the space in the ball barrel, I oiled back of ball, put a metal washer(size of hole) on it, then filled the remaining space with cardboard, as not to put to much weight on the ball. Not perfect, but much quiter. Used scotch tape around eye.(only tape I had) Will apply the liquid tape, and use bearings tomorrow to see if any better.

Ralph can you post a pic of your eye/S-hook. Want to see how it looks. Im afraid to start bending it and not get it straight/balanced again.

Now that's dedication. and Brilliant. However I would say your fist contacts appear a bit too high on the bag, often up by the leather section with two big brads noticeable. Looks to be a bit of an "up and down" swing arc, not more egg shaped directly into the bag belly. It's hard to be sure with a bit more of you in the picture and it's a bit blurred due to speed, but my eyes keep seeing the bag contact point a bit too high on the bag. ??
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Speedbag; 01-15-2013, 07:49 PM.
    Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
    *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
    The Quest Continues...
    Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Bag-A-Holic
      • Apr 2011

Originally posted by Speedbag View Post
      Now that's dedication. and Brilliant. However I would say your fist contacts appear a bit too high on the bag, often up by the leather section with two big brads noticeable. Looks to be a bit of an "up and down" swing arc, not more egg shaped directly into the bag belly. It's hard to be sure with a bit more of you in the picture and it's a bit blurred due to speed, but my eyes keep seeing the bag contact point a bit too high on the bag. ??
      Wow, thanks for pointing that out. I'm actually almost at the top of the bag in those shots. Wouldn't of thought it was that bad otherwise, until seeing the photo with the arrows. With that, I look forward to focusing on making that proper adjustment, and hopefully see my progress move along faster.
      -Anthony

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Wow, thanks for pointing that out. I'm actually almost at the top of the bag in those shots. Wouldn't of thought it was that bad otherwise, until seeing the photo with the arrows. With that, I look forward to focusing on making that proper adjustment, and hopefully see my progress move along faster.
        Yes you were and I watched it several times to be sure before I made the decision to comment. Actually I was more concerned with your swing motion because that up-down swing ( I often call it "pawing the bag") is the reason you are hitting "down" on the area of the bag above they belly. I am not so sure it is the bag position so much as your swing motion. It would be easier to tell if the camera angle was wider to actually see your face and shoulders, but your arms are definitly going kind of up-down when punching. I also notice when your passing the fists front to back they hit the front (high on bag) and go a bit downward to the other side. I'd rather see that motion "straight" thru the belly.

hope it helps.
        Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Bag-A-Holic
          • Apr 2011

Originally posted by Speedbag View Post
          Yes you were and I watched it several times to be sure before I made the decision to comment. Actually I was more concerned with your swing motion because that up-down swing ( I often call it "pawing the bag") is the reason you are hitting "down" on the area of the bag above they belly. I am not so sure it is the bag position so much as your swing motion. It would be easier to tell if the camera angle was wider to actually see your face and shoulders, but your arms are definitly going kind of up-down when punching. I also notice when your passing the fists front to back they hit the front (high on bag) and go a bit downward to the other side. I'd rather see that motion "straight" thru the belly.

hope it helps.
          I certainly agree, and it was quit obvious looking at the pics w/arrows and watching it again. Again, I'd like to thank for taking the time to point this out. When I went back to the bag, with this in mind, I noticed this "pawing the bag" as you call it, may be a bad habit I have formed all around, and is probably one of the reasons I have been progressing so slowly at alot of techniques/combinations. I will be strictly focusing on going "straight" through the belly now, and look forward to getting rid of this bad habit, I've brought upon myself.
          -Anthony

Comment

• Zaza
            Speed Bag Guru
            • Apr 2011

Yes....slow down...take a breath...keep a steady rhythm....now, say it with me, "OOOOOoooohhhhhhhhhmmmmmmmmm".

Be one with the bag grasshopper.
            Art of the Bag - A Speed Bag Story
            http://www.artofthebag.com

Comment

• Bag-A-Holic
              • Apr 2011

So the ball bearings came in today. They work beautifully, and are smoother than the washer and cardboard modification., posted in the pics in post # 19 above. For this Deville modification, I used 1/4 inch steel ball bearings and placed 1 flat washer on top of the bearings, resulting in a flush fit to the top surface, maintaining ideal ball movement, with no up and down play.(getting rid of the minor clicking noise in that area) I also put a dab 0f 3:1 oil on finger, and patted the bearings and back of ball.

As for the liquid tape to go around Eye-hook, that did not work, although a subsequently found some plumbers tape that works, and is silky smooth.

***The Deville, is already an excellent performing and "relatively quite" swivel, without making any changes to it.
              Attached Files
              Last edited by Bag-A-Holic; 01-16-2013, 03:45 PM.
              -Anthony

Comment

• Bag-A-Holic
                • Apr 2011

For the platic Everlast modification, I only used 1/4 steel ball bearings,no washer is needed, the ball bearings come flush with top surface. The ball bearings alow the ball the move in its ideal path, but does not allow the ball to pop up and down. In turn, this reduces noise and I believe its accuracey as well. You can use the bearings in any ball hook swivel where the ball is completely round. If you dont have ball bearings, the washer modification works too, but not as silky smooth movement. Now this may just because the washer I used was unfinished and wasn't a real smoth surface, Maybe If a smooth finished surface washer is used, it may work just as well. Oh and I put a dab of 3:1 oil on finger, and patted the back of the ball and bearings. Also there is a full cardboard gasket between the swivel and board
                Attached Files
                Last edited by Bag-A-Holic; 01-16-2013, 03:51 PM.
                -Anthony

Comment

• paranday
                  Speed Bag Guru
                  • Sep 2009

Interesting mod for the Everlast with the skittish plastic ball.

Comment

• Bag-A-Holic
                    • Apr 2011

Originally posted by paranday View Post
                    Interesting mod for the Everlast with the skittish plastic ball.
                    In addition to just taping up the eye/S-hook connections. I also replaced the eye and S-hook that originally came with the stock plastic Everlast swivel.

The loose Eye and S-hook pictured below on right, was originally on the plastic Everlast. It has a large gap between the two connections, is thick, and had a plated finish, all seeming to contribute to an unappealing clanking noise. So as a first resort, I changed it with an unplated finish, thiner and quiter assembly, from a different ball hook swivel.
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by Bag-A-Holic; 01-16-2013, 03:38 PM.
                    -Anthony

Comment

• Zaza
                      Speed Bag Guru
                      • Apr 2011

You know it's funny.... I can't hear your swivel at all at my house?

Comment

• kenk
                        • Dec 2012

Anthony: The ball bearings on top of the swivel is a great idea...nice going!

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by zaza View Post
                          yes....slow down...take a breath...keep a steady rhythm....now, say it with me, "ooooooooohhhhhhhhhmmmmmmmmm".

be one with the bag grasshopper.
                          be the bag.
                          Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Bag-A-Holic
                            • Apr 2011

Originally posted by ventanakaz
                            ...so i put the rub. washer on and i'm really happy with it. no more stupid messy tape. just did it, i also got a nylon spacer but i'm trying the rub. one first because it would seem more quiet to me, if the rub. one doesn't last long enought i'll try the nylon spacer later. i'm stoked i don't know why i didn't try this along time ago, now back to baggin ;-)...ralph
                            Ok let us know how they compare to tape(time needed to be replaced and quiteness) I didnt have duct tape and have been using plumbers Tape(teflon tape) and this has help up fairly well. My question with respect to the washer/spacers, is are you removing the eye hook from the ball to put these on, or is there a slit in them that they can just slide on the eye, from the side without removing eye from the ball? I usually have all my eye bolts glued or bonded into the ball to prevent them from unscrewing and coming loose.
                            -Anthony

Comment

• Zaza
                              Speed Bag Guru
                              • Apr 2011

Ok let us know how they compare to tape(time needed to be replaced and quiteness) I didnt have duct tape and have been using plumbers Tape(teflon tape) and this has help up fairly well. My question with respect to the washer/spacers, is are you removing the eye hook from the ball to put these on, or is there a slit in them that they can just slide on the eye, from the side without removing eye from the ball? I usually have all my eye bolts glued or bonded into the ball to prevent them from unscrewing and coming loose.
                              I use a neoprene washer...they stretch over the s-hook and eye easily...and quiet things up quite a bit.

McMaster-Carr is the complete source for your plant with over 595,000 products. 98% of products ordered ship from stock and deliver same or next day.

I use 90133A420's

CAD
                              McMaster-Carr is the complete source for your plant with over 595,000 products. 98% of products ordered ship from stock and deliver same or next day.

McMaster-Carr is one of my favorite places for all kinds of parts....kind of like MsDeville's love of videos on how to cut a circle!

Comment

• Bag-A-Holic
                                • Apr 2011

Originally posted by Zaza View Post
                                I use a neoprene washer...they stretch over the s-hook and eye easily...and quiet things up quite a bit.

I use 90133A420's

CAD

McMaster-Carr is one of my favorite places for all kinds of parts....kind of like MsDeville's love of videos on how to cut a circle!
                                ZAZA I think the eye screw on the ball is only about 1/4 or 3/16? Do you use 3/8 because it is able to stretch over the S and eye, and the smaller washer will not? Do you have a pic available with this mod.? How many do you put at a time, and how long do they last, before replacing? I've seemed to get rid all the noise from all other areas of the ball hook swivel, and the teflon tape work reasonable well, for a limited time, at this perticular contact point, but these washers sound like this would certainly eliminate all the noise from this contact point and last longer, given the thickness and material of the washer. I feel like the tape at first, is soft and cushiony, but after repeatedly getting hit, becomes compact and hard, thus not as sound proof, as when first applied. At least for the teflon tape I'm speaking of.

Ralph for your set up, what size washers are you using, and how, and how many do you put on? Also how long do they last till needed to be replaced?
                                Do you have a link to which ones you use as well?
                                -Anthony

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                                Working...