• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bbally
    • Jan 2013

Originally posted by reggabdeeps View Post
    stop your crying and man up!!

if MsDeville can hit without gloves, so can you.
    I reserve the right to be a puss if I want too!

But you have a point!
    sgt
    USMC 79-85

Thanks to all who continue to serve... and to those that answered the call in the past!

Comment

• AtTheCross
      • Dec 2012

well I believe MsDeville has >7yrs of bagging to have toughened up her hands

My knuckles are callusing up, and not bleeding on my bag anymore
      1 Corinthians 1:18 For the message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God.

XMarkfitness platform
      Active Bags: - N.O.S. Ringside 4x7 - N.O.S. Ringside Tear Drop 5x8 - Balazs Lazer 6x9
      DevilleSwivel No.13 - Horizontal
      Powermill Evil Swivel - Vertical (to be installed)
      Retired Bags:
      Pro Mex 5x8 - Everlast 4214 7x10

Comment

• Speedbag
        Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by reggabdeeps View Post
        stop your crying and man up!!

if MsDeville can hit without gloves, so can you.

Classic.

(perhaps her secret is hitting on the "DeVille swivel)
        Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
        *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
        The Quest Continues...
        Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Zaza
          Speed Bag Guru
          • Apr 2011

...more elbows!
          Art of the Bag - A Speed Bag Story
          http://www.artofthebag.com

Comment

• MsDeville

• Oct 2009

They don't make a decent (affordable) glove for speed baggers. The seams will really cause a lot of pain and discomfort.

So, how do I keep my knuckles from cracking and bleeding? Well, in the beginning of my addiction, I made homemade wraps. Boy, those first few months can be painful until the callouses are built up.

A thick lotion will help keep the cracks from getting worse. I usually keep a tube of lotion nearby. I use lotion that contains petroleum jelly and aloe or lanolin.

But, back to the hand wraps. I would take a mechanic's blue paper towel — you can find them at an auto parts or Harbor Freight store. They're durable and have just a little bit of stretch to them. I would fold it in thirds, then take it and wrap it around my knuckles, making sure it was a snug fit and with NO creases over the knuckles. Secure it with tape. It can be a two-man operation unless you're ambidextrous.

I used masking tape instead of duct tape. I would wrap it several times, until I had a nice protective shell. They could slip on and off and be re-usable. I would mark them Left and Right, since they were custom-fit to each hand. As they would wear down with use, I would simply add another layer or two of tape. I preferred masking tape because it made a harder shell and I felt it helped me get a better snap (or rebound) off the bag.

So, that's how I got through my first several months of bagging. Oh, and to set the record straight, I took up the addiction in August of 2009. I am about 6 months into my 4th year of bagging.
            sigpic Contact me anytime for information about Deville Swivels Email: DevilleSwivels@gmail.com
            I'm also on Facebook: www.facebook.com/DevilleSwivels | www.facebook.com/SpeedBagAddicts

Comment

• Zaza
              Speed Bag Guru
              • Apr 2011

I started off using Everlast 'gel' gloves & still keep them around if I'm pounding the big bags.

For 'dirty' work on engines, painting, cleaning the toilet, etc. I keep a box of latex exam gloves around...and believe it or not, they helped me get through the cold, dry months when I first started...and they fit like a...well...a glove! They are tougher then you might think...just like an extra layer of skin. You also get a good grip!

Pros: They are cheap and have many uses
              Cons: Your hands will sweat like crazy!

Comment

• AtTheCross
                • Dec 2012

Originally posted by MsDeville View Post
                Oh, and to set the record straight, I took up the addiction in August of 2009. I am about 6 months into my 4th year of bagging.

I stand corrected
                1 Corinthians 1:18 For the message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God.

XMarkfitness platform
                Active Bags: - N.O.S. Ringside 4x7 - N.O.S. Ringside Tear Drop 5x8 - Balazs Lazer 6x9
                Retired Bags:

Comment

• AtTheCross
                  • Dec 2012

@Zaza, never thought of using surgical gloves for bagging, I use them when I work on my gas heli and when checking the oil on the vehicles.

Will try that them tonite

XMarkfitness platform
                  Retired Bags:

Comment

• Zaza
                    Speed Bag Guru
                    • Apr 2011

Originally posted by AtTheCross View Post
                    @Zaza, never thought of using surgical gloves for bagging, I use them when I work on my gas heli and when checking the oil on the vehicles.

Will try that them tonite
                    Keep with it...you'll be hitting 'bare-knuckle' before you know it!

Comment

• Biff
                      Speed Bag Wizard

• Feb 2008

Originally posted by Zaza View Post
                      I started off using Everlast 'gel' gloves & still keep them around if I'm pounding the big bags.

For 'dirty' work on engines, painting, cleaning the toilet, etc. I keep a box of latex exam gloves around...and believe it or not, they helped me get through the cold, dry months when I first started...and they fit like a...well...a glove! They are tougher then you might think...just like an extra layer of skin. You also get a good grip!

Pros: They are cheap and have many uses
                      Cons: Your hands will sweat like crazy!
                      I'll have to ask my proctologist for a few pair next time he "checks" me out!

Comment

• AtTheCross
                        • Dec 2012

Originally posted by Zaza View Post
                        Keep with it...you'll be hitting 'bare-knuckle' before you know it!
                        i'm hitting bare knuckle again, the vaseline for a couple days did the trick.

Just want to try the glove thing

XMarkfitness platform
                        Retired Bags:

Comment

• MsDeville

• Oct 2009

Originally posted by Biff View Post
                          I'll have to ask my proctologist for a few pair next time he "checks" me out!
                          Make sure he doesn't offer you the used ones, Biff.

I stand corrected
                          I was compelled to set the record straight. I still consider myself a newbie, sometimes. As a matter of fact, I still haven't mastered the side punch. (But, it's just that I have personal issues with that one. )

Just want to try the glove thing
                          ATC, if you're like me, as you continue with this love affair with the bag, you will want to become "one with the bag." Right, Alan? I just gotta feel the bag against my bare fists to feel more in control of the bag.

I'm glad the Vaseline took care of the cracked/sore knuckles. The winter weather can be so hard on the hands.

Here are a few image captures of my homemade hand wraps.
                          Attached Files
                          sigpic Contact me anytime for information about Deville Swivels Email: DevilleSwivels@gmail.com
                          I'm also on Facebook: www.facebook.com/DevilleSwivels | www.facebook.com/SpeedBagAddicts

Comment

• paranday
                            Speed Bag Guru
                            • Sep 2009

Originally posted by MsDeville View Post
                            Make sure he doesn't offer you the used ones, Biff.
                            I have to ask, don't you think that was a trifle unnecessary, Dee?

Comment

• fedora
                              Speed Bag Guru
                              • Dec 2012

Originally posted by paranday View Post
                              I have to ask, don't you think that was a trifle unnecessary, Dee?
                              Well some people are really into this recycling thing.

fedora

Comment

• Biff
                                Speed Bag Wizard

• Feb 2008

Originally posted by fedora View Post
                                Well some people are really into this recycling thing.

fedora
                                Last edited by Biff; 01-24-2013, 06:57 PM.

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                                Working...