X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ashe
    • Jun 2007

peaking question...

so my fights are scheduled for sunday the 22nd. ( i may have up to three or four fights).

i plan to really bust ass next week and the first half of the following week, until i'm slightly overtrained, then take off several days prior to my matches to rest and then peak on sunday.

so the question is, should i train up through wednesday the 18th and take three days off, or should i train through tuesday the 17th and take four days off.

i'll have to travel on friday the 21st, and saturday the 22nd may be a busy day for me as well.
  • SupergeZ
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Mar 2007

why are you having so many fights in 1 day? your gona be nackered

Comment

• hispanicmakingpanic
      • May 2007

peaking

To be honest ashe, we're polar opposites on the subject. Just me though, i might be wrong, but I would prefer to hit the slight overtraining patch first then focus on technique, conditioning and gameplan. Is there any weight you have to make or is it open weight format?

Comment

• ashe
        • Jun 2007

Originally posted by SupergeZ View Post
        why are you having so many fights in 1 day? your gona be nackered
        that's the way the rules work for this tournament. it will depend on how many people are in my division. then it's just single elimination from there. so i may fight just once, or i may have to go two or three.

each fight is only 2 2 minute rounds, so i'm only looking at 6 to 8 rounds max, which i have been training for. however, on competition day, i'll have about 10 minutes rest between fights, and i have been training 6-8 straight through with only a minute in between.

Comment

• ashe
          • Jun 2007

Originally posted by hispanicmakingpanic View Post
          Just me though, i might be wrong, but I would prefer to hit the slight overtraining patch first then focus on technique, conditioning and gameplan. Is there any weight you have to make or is it open weight format?
          i'm not sure we mean the same thing. i mean over training on my conditioning.

the weight classes are kinda weird, and i'm right in the middle of mine. the heavyweight division runs 201-225 and then the unlimited division is 226+. i'm 215.

Comment

• Speedbag
            Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by ashe View Post
            so my fights are scheduled for sunday the 22nd. ( i may have up to three or four fights).

i plan to really bust ass next week and the first half of the following week, until i'm slightly overtrained, then take off several days prior to my matches to rest and then peak on sunday.

so the question is, should i train up through wednesday the 18th and take three days off, or should i train through tuesday the 17th and take four days off.

i'll have to travel on friday the 21st, and saturday the 22nd may be a busy day for me as well.
            I would do train heavy through Tuesday, May light to medium Wed., then stretch and do some light/easy weight work or body weight exercises thursday and Friday. I never did well doing "nothing" the days before competition. Just break an easy sweat to stay loose. That's just me though.

(* fuel up also on Thursday, Friday with energy meals. )
            Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
            *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
            The Quest Continues...
            Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• ashe
              • Jun 2007

sounds about right. i can do some light forms and swim wed-fri.

Comment

• Roscoe
                • May 2006

Peaking (Southeast Asia?)

Ashe, good luck and may your hard work pay off.

Notice that everyone who responded to this "peaking" question said at the end of their response that the advice given was "just their two cents" in other words it was from personal experience.

My advice to you if you are not already doing it is to keep a detailed training log that not only includes the obvious; training with sets and reps, time and date, days off, body weight, what you ate, etc. but also include how you feel, make notes as if you were writing a diary because in fact you are.

This will allow you to look back to see what works for you and maybe someday you will be able to give me some "peaking" advice when I duke it out with that butt-head down the street.

Just my two cents

Comment

• ashe
                  • Jun 2007

yeah...

a journal. i should be doing that. but... i'm not. i have in the past, but it usually falls by the way side, and then i'll pick it up again later.

working full time, and having three kids, just finding the time to train can be hard. the extra few minutes it takes to keep a journal seems impossible sometimes.

maybe for the next one.

Comment

• Speedbag
                    Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

yeah...

a journal. i should be doing that. but... i'm not. i have in the past, but it usually falls by the way side, and then i'll pick it up again later.

working full time, and having three kids, just finding the time to train can be hard. the extra few minutes it takes to keep a journal seems impossible sometimes.

maybe for the next one.
                    Why not make an ORAL journal with a digital recorder?. You can type it up later. After every set, just record what you did.
                    Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
                    *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
                    The Quest Continues...
                    Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• SupergeZ
                      Speed Bag Guru
                      • Mar 2007

you should be having a 60 sec downtime between sets on weights, more than enuff time to scribble down some notes

Comment

• Roscoe
                        • May 2006

Journal...

....and it is such a trip to look back on it years later. Throw in a DVD and you got "history".

Take time to smell the roses.

Comment

• ashe
                          • Jun 2007

Originally posted by SupergeZ View Post
                          you should be having a 60 sec downtime between sets on weights, more than enuff time to scribble down some notes
                          not the way i train! tough not to vomit...

Comment

• SupergeZ
                            Speed Bag Guru
                            • Mar 2007

not the way i train! tough not to vomit...
                            silly billy dont wana do urself an injury

Comment

• ashe
                              • Jun 2007

say it with me... "Exercise-Induced Rhabdomyolysis"

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                              Working...