Which heavy bag and deciding which way to hang it.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • garyspeed
    • Jun 2015

Which heavy bag and deciding which way to hang it.

I had no heavy bags, then my neighbor sold me one for $50 that he got for free. I thought I overpaid. Then I saw one at a garage sale, the guy was a boxer and I asked for a lesson and he gave me the bag and the lesson for $50. Now I have two bags. They are both Everlast 100lb bags. One has the old logo and the other has the new logo. The latter is softer material. Im not sure which one to keep, to sell both and get a muay thai bag or black leather heavy bag.

Then there is how to hang it.

The garage is 24 x 20,concrete floor, cinder block walls left and right. Gym on one side, tools on the other.

Ive thought about spanning the garage about 7 feet high with some heavy square tubing and then hanging the bag from that. That way I can slide the bag out to workout and then slide it back to the side when not in use. Also I can then use the tubing as a mount for maize bag and double end bag. This would be very versatile, Im concerned the tubing will flex too much, but i dont know.

Next idea was bolting a 10 ft arm into the block wall corner and hanging it off of that. That would give me about a 10 ft circle to work the bag and I could slide the bag back into the corner when not in use. I dont know if I would need to support it with a beam from the floor as well or if i could just bolt the beam to the wall with 1/4" steel straps with a short piece of square tubing in the corner and weld the arm to that.

Another way I thought was just to build a frame that bolts to the floor consisting of two 1/4" flat steel pieces by 3" x 20" bolted to the floor separated by a 7 ft upright 2" heavy square tubing on each end and an 8 foot cross member of the same material or round tubing on top to hang the bag from. This would be great because it would be free standing and can be unbolted and moved if needed and wouldnt risk hurting the wall.

One thing I dont want to do is use the wooden ceiling because I am afraid of hurting the ceiling and roof and unintended consequences of vibrations traveling throughout the house and of course noise. I have seen pics online where guys put tracks on the ceiling which is pretty cool. I think that would be ideal but Im hesitant. Are my fears founded or just rooted in the unknown?

Thanks
    Gary
    Attached Files
    Last edited by garyspeed; 06-18-2015, 06:29 PM.
  • garyspeed
    • Jun 2015

how do I attach a beam to the block wall corner 7 feet high just under the garage door track? The angle is indicated by the tape measure on the floor.

thanks
    Gary
    Attached Files

Comment

• garyspeed
      • Jun 2015

How do I attach steel beam to the corner block wall at the angle indicated by the ruler on the floor?

Thank you.

Gary
      Attached Files

Comment

• garyspeed
        • Jun 2015

Originally posted by garyspeed View Post
        I had no heavy bags, then my neighbor sold me one for $50 that he got for free. I thought I overpaid. Then I saw one at a garage sale, the guy was a boxer and I asked for a lesson and he gave me the bag and the lesson for $50. Now I have two bags. They are both Everlast 100lb bags. One has the old logo and the other has the new logo. The latter is softer material. Im not sure which one to keep, to sell both and get a muay thai bag or black leather heavy bag.

Then there is how to hang it.

The garage is 24 x 20,concrete floor, cinder block walls left and right. Gym on one side, tools on the other.

Ive thought about spanning the garage about 7 feet high with some heavy square tubing and then hanging the bag from that. That way I can slide the bag out to workout and then slide it back to the side when not in use. Also I can then use the tubing as a mount for maize bag and double end bag. This would be very versatile, Im concerned the tubing will flex too much, but i dont know.

Next idea was bolting a 10 ft arm into the block wall corner and hanging it off of that. That would give me about a 10 ft circle to work the bag and I could slide the bag back into the corner when not in use. I dont know if I would need to support it with a beam from the floor as well or if i could just bolt the beam to the wall with 1/4" steel straps with a short piece of square tubing in the corner and weld the arm to that.

Another way I thought was just to build a frame that bolts to the floor consisting of two 1/4" flat steel pieces by 3" x 20" bolted to the floor separated by a 7 ft upright 2" heavy square tubing on each end and an 8 foot cross member of the same material or round tubing on top to hang the bag from. This would be great because it would be free standing and can be unbolted and moved if needed and wouldnt risk hurting the wall.

One thing I dont want to do is use the wooden ceiling because I am afraid of hurting the ceiling and roof and unintended consequences of vibrations traveling throughout the house and of course noise. I have seen pics online where guys put tracks on the ceiling which is pretty cool. I think that would be ideal but Im hesitant. Are my fears founded or just rooted in the unknown?

Thanks
        Gary
        Here is a pic of the attic from the back of the garage facing the front of the garage.
        Attached Files

Comment

• PeterJ
          Speed Bag Trainee
          • Nov 2015

I'm not sure those ideas are going to work well. Are those 100 pound bags? Whatever you put up has to be solid and sturdy, because when you start punching the force will be more than 100 pounds. A lot more. What do you mean by "wooden ceiling" are you talking about the joists? I have mine hanging in my unfinished basement. The joists are exposed and it was easy to find the middle of the joist. The joist will hold the 100 pound bag, but it is important that you drill a hole exactly in the middle. I went to Home depot and found a screw in hanger rated over 200 pounds. Now you could purchase one of those heave duty heavy bag springs (Ringside has them) if you are worried about vibrations. I think a bigger problem is your floor. You cant be dancing around the bag punching on a concrete floor. You need to go to Home Depot (I went to BJs Warehouse) and get some of those floor anti-fatigue puzzle pieces tiles and cover your "ring area". You really need light shoes. Running shoes don't work for me. I bought light New Balance Minimus shoes, but they are expensive. I wouldn't get a heavy bag stand either. Also about the lessons. Don't pay for any more lessons yet. Go on You Tube. Professionals give lessons. After that think about going to a club. I hope some of that was helpful. I just thought about the garage door. How are you going to open the door with the bag there?

Comment

• Joe Palooka
            Speed Bag Trainee
            • Jun 2016

Originally posted by garyspeed View Post
            Ione side, tools on the other.

Thanks
            Gary
            I'd combine these 2 - Fabricate a stand like this one - http://throwdown.com/training-and-sa...-bag-rack.html - only with much heavier tube and a longer arm - bolt it down to the concrete floor with hvy duty expansion anchors. Read up on tube wall thickness and deflection over span. The stuff sold at the big box stores won't do it. You'll have to buy from a steel supply to get the thicker stock. What you want to do is do-able.

Joe

Comment

• Joe Palooka
              Speed Bag Trainee
              • Jun 2016

You could also go straight up and with a wood mount - span several joists (16'' usually) with a 44''x44'' mounting plate lagged in to the ceiling with a anchor point thru bolted in the center (prior to mounting). 1 inch ply would be fine and place a rubber mat between the mount and ceiling to cut the vibe. You would want to mark out the joist with a stud finder to ensure you are dead on. This is a little tougher with the newer engineered floor joists - better with old style dimensional.

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
              Working...