• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • metaldad
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Apr 2007

Originally posted by spinsmashpop View Post
    If they did, they should just re e.q. Jason Newsted's existing bass parts. Don't have someone come in 20 years later and try to capture the vibe.... I think that's wrong (see Sharon Osbourne having Trujillo and Bordin redo the drums and bass on Blizzard and Diary...).
    I'm sure they can get the existing bass sounding great.
    But... if they did that... I would want that as a bonus cd...two for one.... because once a record is mixed and released it should stay that way. Although, some remixes and remasters have been cool. (VH, Zep, Beatles)..
    But, remixing is a bigger deal than remastering. As long as they don't change the gtrs and drums and vocals that are there, I could hang with more bass...
    But only the original tracks please!
    BANG ON!
    I see where you're coming from but I think it would be awesome. Exodus Re-mastered "Bonded By Blood" with their new vocalist and he killed! They didn't change the tunings, arrangements or solos. Maybe a more "updated" sound, but it's definitely a great listen. Re-mastered much of their catalog and there's no real difference other than sound quality. Not to diss on Jason Newstead, but he did play with a pick. I don't know if that matters to you (James Lamenzo uses a pick also, I know). But there's something about a metal bass player that can play with his/her fingers i.e. Cliff Burton(natch), Steve Harris, Alex Webster(Cannibal Corpse), Steve Digiorgio(Sadus, Death, Testament) and Greg Christian(Testament) and Les Claypool just to name a few. It just adds this killer element to the music other than just being part of the rhythm section. After seeing Iron maiden , Cannibal Corpse Suiciadal and Testament live and watching these guys thrash their asses off, I'm a bit more partial to bass palyers who play with fingers. Ifind it more challenging and better sounding. Of course that's just my own opinion. There's killer music out with kick ass bass players who use a pick.
    sigpic

Comment

• Speedbag
      Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by metaldad View Post
      I see where you're coming from but I think it would be awesome. Exodus Re-mastered "Bonded By Blood" with their new vocalist and he killed! They didn't change the tunings, arrangements or solos. Maybe a more "updated" sound, but it's definitely a great listen. Re-mastered much of their catalog and there's no real difference other than sound quality. Not to diss on Jason Newstead, but he did play with a pick. I don't know if that matters to you (James Lamenzo uses a pick also, I know). But there's something about a metal bass player that can play with his/her fingers i.e. Cliff Burton(natch), Steve Harris, Alex Webster(Cannibal Corpse), Steve Digiorgio(Sadus, Death, Testament) and Greg Christian(Testament) and Les Claypool just to name a few. It just adds this killer element to the music other than just being part of the rhythm section. After seeing Iron maiden , Cannibal Corpse Suiciadal and Testament live and watching these guys thrash their asses off, I'm a bit more partial to bass palyers who play with fingers. Ifind it more challenging and better sounding. Of course that's just my own opinion. There's killer music out with kick ass bass players who use a pick.
      MetalDad, you need to upgrade your metal collection. No disrespect but you're leaving out the finest metal band to ever take the stage....
      (*...take notes BT, this guys GOOD!)

And here is the lead European Group.
      Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
      *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
      The Quest Continues...
      Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• metaldad
        Speed Bag Guru
        • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Speedbag View Post
        MetalDad, you need to upgrade your metal collection. No disrespect but you're leaving out the finest metal band to ever take the stage....
        (*...take notes BT, this guys GOOD!)

And here is the lead European Group.
        BEEKERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRARRRRRRRRRRGHHH!!!!!! !! 10 BAGS Alan....10 bags
        sigpic

Comment

• Speedbag
          Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

BEEKERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRARRRRRRRRRRGHHH!!!!!! !! 10 BAGS Alan....10 bags
          Animal is my personal favorite, followed by The Swedish Chef

By the way, even farmers love metal
          Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
          *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
          The Quest Continues...
          Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• metaldad
            Speed Bag Guru
            • Apr 2007

Ahhhh...that chef, what a character LMAO. He actually has some good reflexes with that pot lid. Mr. heavy meatl farmer ....Tractooooorrrrrrrr!!!..I milk my cow! Classic....but I personnally like when church service mixes things up:
            sigpic

Comment

• metaldad
              Speed Bag Guru
              • Apr 2007

Ahhhh...that chef, what a character LMAO. He actually has some good reflexes with that pot lid. Mr. heavy metal farmer ....Tractooooorrrrrrrr!!!..I milk my cow! Classic....but I personnally like when Church service mixes things up a bit
              Last edited by metaldad; 10-25-2009, 10:10 AM. Reason: tag the link
              sigpic

Comment

• spinsmashpop
                Speed Bag Wizard

• Nov 2008

Metaldad.... all points taken... all good points....and you have definitely proven to be more of a metalhead than myself. I do not know names of most of the members of the bands you mentioned. Wow! Very impressed...
                Anyhow.... I like fingers and pick, but I hear what you are sayin... (by the way, Lomenzo is really a fingers player, (see Pride & Glory). He is really an Entwistle type of player.
                So....great pick bassists,,, Duff McKagan (great tone on Appetite) and Chris Squire (Yes).... Dave Hope (Kansas)
                And.. bassists who do both.... John Paul Jones, McCartney, Entwistle, etc...
                But yeah, I guess each situation is its own.... and I'm sure someone could come in and do bass on Justice real good.... remasters and remixes can definitely bring new life to a recording, but redoing parts just seems a little too far away from the initial creation....

Comment

• metaldad
                  Speed Bag Guru
                  • Apr 2007

Originally posted by spinsmashpop View Post
                  Metaldad.... all points taken... all good points....and you have definitely proven to be more of a metalhead than myself. I do not know names of most of the members of the bands you mentioned. Wow! Very impressed...
                  Anyhow.... I like fingers and pick, but I hear what you are sayin... (by the way, Lomenzo is really a fingers player, (see Pride & Glory). He is really an Entwistle type of player.
                  So....great pick bassists,,, Duff McKagan (great tone on Appetite) and Chris Squire (Yes).... Dave Hope (Kansas)
                  And.. bassists who do both.... John Paul Jones, McCartney, Entwistle, etc...
                  But yeah, I guess each situation is its own.... and I'm sure someone could come in and do bass on Justice real good.... remasters and remixes can definitely bring new life to a recording, but redoing parts just seems a little too far away from the initial creation....
                  Wait a minute...Chris Squire used a pick!?!?!....I thought he was a fingers guy... He F!@#KIN RULES. I had 9012 LIVE on tape and his bass solo was awesome. he started with Amazing Grace and completely went ballistic playing riffs from Roundabout and such. I could go on name dropping inspirational musicians, metal and non-metal. Especially bass players! John Pattitucci, Stanley Clarke, Stu Hamm, BILLY F!@#KN SHEEHAN!!!!!!!!(Sorry about the cussing). I should have spent more time learning the bass, had to sell it though(cue violins). Oh, how could I forget Geddy Lee and watching Geezer Butler with Sabbath and with GZR? Oh and believe me, I totally get why many aren't excited about re-mastering. In a way it's kinda like he current trend in hollywood: Let's re-make and Re-imagine a masterpiece(Halloween, Night Of The Living Dead,The Hills Have Eyes, and coming soon a re-make of A Nightmare on Elm st.) you shouldn't mess with perfection, I get it. But ..And Justice, although a killer record , always seemed to be missing something.
                  sigpic

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                  Working...