• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Tim
    Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

Website Page Views for 2006

Web site page views for 2006. The site was started in January 06... for the first 3 weeks I think I was the only person posting anything I remember thinking "maybe I should just take it down - how many more rabid speed bag enthusiasts could there be?" ... shortly thereafter Alan linked to the site from http://www.speedbagcentral.com in Feb 06 and it's really taken off since then! It's very gratifying to see that all of you have embraced this forum and contributed. I look forward to even more speed bag fun in 07.

You may be wondering how people find this site... the top 3 referrers which provide 90% of the visitors are:

1. Google Search
    2. Rosstraining.com (Mostly to the online workout timer page)
    3. SpeedbagCentral.com

The other thing that gave this site a shot in the arm was the Online Workout Timer ... I added that in February and that accounts for a large number of the visitors.

The other thing I should mention is that running a site like this (forums based) is rediculously simple and inexpensive, and doesn't really require a lot of in-depth knowledge. Here's an itemized list of costs:

VBulletin Software - Lifetime license $160
    VBulletin Updates -$35 /yr
    Domain Name(s) - 2 @ $5.99 per year
    1and1.com Hosting - $90 per year

What's even better, due to the magic of Google Adsense ads... the site almost pays for itself

You do need to possess a basic understanding of how web pages work, simple database concepts, FTP to transfer files, etc. Being handy with a graphics editor is optional, but definitely helps. It also requires a never-ending vigilance for updating the software to patch security exploits. If you let the software fall 2-3 releases behind the script kiddy hackers will have a field day (I"ve had that happen multiple times on other sites I used to run.)

If anyone else is interested in more details on how this was all set up ... feel free to PM me.
    Last edited by Tim; 01-18-2007, 10:45 PM.
  • jaguiler
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Jan 2007

you do have a great site -

tons of info and very well informed people - my virtual speed bag mentors...

how did you get two domain names for $5.99 or is that a typo ? I think I pay $35.00 per year.....

thanks for all your work with this site !!

Comment

• Tim

• Jan 2006

Originally posted by jaguiler View Post
      how did you get two domain names for $5.99 or is that a typo ? I think I pay $35.00 per year.....
      It's 2 x 5.99 = 11.98 via http://www.1and1.com

I think the price is contingent on having your site hosted with them as well...

I'm going on 4 years with them, hosting various sites , and have no complaints.

The domains are: http://www.speedbagforum.com and http://www.speedbagforums.com

Comment

• Chris
        Speed Bag Trainee
        • Jan 2007

New to forum

I just recently got a speed bag and now am addicted to getting better and better each day. I am a paramedic/firefighter and dont make a lot of money to say the least, but would be willing to make a donation due to the fact that you have a really informative forum that has already made me a better speed bagger. Thanks Again......Send me your address and I will make a donation. I know every little bit helps and your doing a great thing.....Chris.

Comment

• Tim

• Jan 2006

Originally posted by Chris View Post
          ... but would be willing to make a donation due to the fact that you have a really informative forum that has already made me a better speed bagger.
          The thought is appreciated, but donations are not necessary. The best "donation" you can make to the site is to contribute, and when the time comes share whatever information or knowledge you have with someone else. Letting others know about this site and http://www.speedbagcentral.com are also appreciated.

Save your money and consider picking up either the Speed Bag Bible and/or DVD (PM Speedbag for details).

I listed the web site costs simply to illustrate to others that may be interested in starting something similar. Running an internet forum may seem complex or expensive - it's not. I was simply trying to illustrate that.
          Last edited by Tim; 01-20-2007, 09:00 AM.

Comment

• Chris
            Speed Bag Trainee
            • Jan 2007

Thanks...That is cool of you..

Comment

• Kyle
              Speed Bag Guru
              • Nov 2006

id have to agree with Chris the time and money u spend on this website is very generous and is very appreciated. i know i have learned a lot from this site and would not be into the speed bag as much as i am without it. Thank you again Tim
              ________
              Jomtien condos
              Last edited by Kyle; 09-11-2011, 06:14 AM.

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
              Working...