• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JimR
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • Aug 2006

Advanced Combinations

My left pinkie has been hurting, so I did a quick one-hand routine the other night. Is this an advanced combination? (I bet it looks impressive with one hand behind my back. Maybe next week I'll try juggling with the other hand).

(All Right hand) FCP ''' FSP ' FSP ''' FCP ' FCP ''' FCP '' RSP '' (repeat).

Jim in NJ
    Last edited by JimR; 10-12-2006, 09:27 PM. Reason: Oop, I mis-remembered
  • BillyMack
    • Sep 2006

You should make a short video clip and post it...

Comment

• Speedbag
      Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

One Hand combo

Originally posted by JimR View Post
      My left pinkie has been hurting, so I did a quick one-hand routine the other night. Is this an advanced combination? (I bet it looks impressive with one hand behind my back. Maybe next week I'll try juggling with the other hand).

(All Right hand) FCP ''' FSP ' FSP ' FCP ' FCP '' RSP '' (repeat).

Jim in NJ
      HI Jim

By the way I define "advanced combinations", ( Reducing normal 3 rebound combinations to "1" - from the same side of the bag ) than YES it this would be be a few advanced combinations

Your combo

FCP '''FSP ' FSP ' FCP ' FCP

now consider:

FSP ' FSP Repetitive Front Straight Punches (FSP) with the same arm is pretty easy with 3 rebounds. although it is kind of a weird combo. But it is tough with only 1 rebound inbetween.

FCP ' FCP Repetitive Front Circle Punches (FCP) with on rebound is pretty natural, although challenging to do four or five of them row. Kind of like a One Arm Fist Roll.

Now, here is the interesting part: In the middle of your combination there is a pretty hard combo:

THAT combo, Front Straight to Front Circle Punch is pretty challenging due to the angle change of the fist required during the single rebound. In the other two punches, the fist can simply "hold" a second, then push off the bag as it rebounds into the fist. There is NO change of fist position. But the FCP fist angle requires a change of position, which three rebound allows for in the basic rhythm. But on "1" rebound, that is a little harder to manuever.

* [ Theoretically, all the above Could be called Front Double Punches - FDP, but how would you tell the difference between them in a simple abbreviated form? ]

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

To have a little more One Arm fun, consider this:

The Inward Double Elbow Strike (I-DES) is done by the last two pictures in the top row. (Right Fist, (FSP) + Right inward Elbow). After this, you can smoothly return to a right fist FCP after three rebounds, but it happens quick.

R(I-DES) ' ' ' R(FCP)

now advance it to ONE rebound R(I-DES) ' R(FCP)

tip: soon as the Inward Elbow connects, move the right arm outward from the shoulder, which will drag the lead fist right back into the first rebound off the board. It is a subtle movement, and you don't have to extend the elbow much, if at all.

To make it a bit easier, you can even make the a Front Double Punch, to join in the other fist.

R(I-DES) ' R-L(FDP)

( to practice this, Back it up to with three rebounds: )

R(I-DES) ' ' ' R-L(FDP) (This connects like this: RIGHT Front Straight Punch - RIGHT Inward Elbow ' ' ' RIGHT - LEFT Front Double Punch. It's fun to do with one rebound.
      Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
      *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
      The Quest Continues...
      Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• JimR
        Speed Bag Trainee
        • Aug 2006

Video

Originally posted by BillyMack View Post
        You should make a short video clip and post it...
        I am thinking about it, as soon as I get someone to hold the camera; hope you don't mind too much if it's silent.

Comment

• JimR
          Speed Bag Trainee
          • Aug 2006

Originally posted by Speedbag View Post
          HI Jim

To have a little more One Arm fun, consider this:

To make it a bit easier, you can even make the a Front Double Punch, to join in the other fist.

R(I-DES) ' R-L(FDP)

( to practice this, Back it up to with three rebounds: )

R(I-DES) ' ' ' R-L(FDP) (This connects like this: RIGHT Front Straight Punch - RIGHT Inward Elbow ' ' ' RIGHT - LEFT Front Double Punch. It's fun to do with one rebound.
          Ok, but that's adding the other hand - outside of the one-hand parameter. It could be funny - 10 or 20 punches with one hand, then suddenly the other pops in.

Jim

Comment

• JimR
            Speed Bag Trainee
            • Aug 2006

Oops, correction.

Originally posted by Speedbag View Post
            HI Jim

Now, here is the interesting part: In the middle of your combination there is a pretty hard combo:

THAT combo, Front Straight to Front Circle Punch is pretty challenging due to the angle change of the fist required during the single rebound. In the other two punches, the fist can simply "hold" a second, then push off the bag as it rebounds into the fist. There is NO change of fist position. But the FCP fist angle requires a change of position, which three rebound allows for in the basic rhythm. But on "1" rebound, that is a little harder to manuever.
            Darn, I just tried it at the gym and realized I mispoke, and have corrected my original note. Yes, it is currently too challenging for me.

But to make up for it, I spent 15 minutes practicing just to do

FSP ' FSP ' FCP ' FCP

so I guess I could eventually do what I originally wrote.

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
            Working...