• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Speedbag Seaweed Man
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Apr 2015

DEVILLE #13 Ball Hook SWIVEL

I ordered in one of these swivels and it arrived today and I bolted it straight on. Started to hit the bag and- ooh it is soo nice. I can't believe how much I was missing out on all this time! No more errant rebound angles due to the old U-bolt swivels inability to change direction freely. Not having to deal with such unpredictability is really nice and the swing and rebound seem to occur at a much more consistent speed. Whereas the U bolt swivel my observation was that the bag would leave the fist/elbow with great pace, then lose heaps of momentum on impact with the platform and return with less speed on the rebound. As if the energy was knocked out of the bag as the shonky swivel rattled it's way around the compass. And I mean rattled. The Deville Swivel puts out only a minimum of audible noise by comparison. I am very excited. Will probably dream about speed bags etc in my sleep again tonight.
  • Speedbag
    Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by Speedbag Seaweed Man View Post
    I ordered in one of these swivels and it arrived today and I bolted it straight on. Started to hit the bag and- ooh it is soo nice. I can't believe how much I was missing out on all this time! No more errant rebound angles due to the old U-bolt swivels inability to change direction freely. Not having to deal with such unpredictability is really nice and the swing and rebound seem to occur at a much more consistent speed. Whereas the U bolt swivel my observation was that the bag would leave the fist/elbow with great pace, then lose heaps of momentum on impact with the platform and return with less speed on the rebound. As if the energy was knocked out of the bag as the shonky swivel rattled it's way around the compass. And I mean rattled. The Deville Swivel puts out only a minimum of audible noise by comparison. I am very excited. Will probably dream about speed bags etc in my sleep again tonight.
    Welcome to the world of serious Bible Style bagging
    Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
    *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
    The Quest Continues...
    Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• MsDeville

• Oct 2009

Spoken like a total SPEED BAG ADDICT! Welcome to the club, Speedbag Seaweed Man!

I never get tired of hearing good things about the Deville swivel. I'm so glad it's working out for you, Speedbag Seaweed Man. Bag on!

BTW, I have created a few Facebook pages online, specifically for all of us Addicts! If you're a Facebook user, please check it out:
      Speed Bag Addicts. 1.894 Me gusta. This is for anyone who is addicted to speed bagging.

And here is the Deville Swivel Facebook page, as well:
      Log in to Facebook to start sharing and connecting with your friends, family and people you know.
      sigpic Contact me anytime for information about Deville Swivels Email: DevilleSwivels@gmail.com
      I'm also on Facebook: www.facebook.com/DevilleSwivels | www.facebook.com/SpeedBagAddicts

Comment

• Commander
        Speed Bag Trainee
        • Mar 2015

I wanted to also chime in as a novice bagger. I recently installed a Deville swivel, and as Dee advised, I needed to slow down in order to get my mojo back! It was a bit frustrating at first, but taking it slow and easy, and refining muscle memory and focus are bringing excellent results. I like the swivel because it forces me to be more accurate and to concentrate harder, and of course it is much faster than the one that came with the Balazs board. I also heard the knocking sound reported by others, and as I suspect it is most likely a technique issue, not an equipment issue! So I am going to work on that aspect as well. My swivel didn't come with a gasket that some have mentioned, but I will keep working on my technique before I see if I need it for noise abatement. I'm about to transition from the red (medium) Title bag to the gold shortly, but want to refine my technique before adding another variable.

On a related note, I find that facing the bag from a different direction (i.e., standing to the side with a wall near one of my shoulders) provides a very different training experience, and forces my eyes to look at the bag and not get distracted by a different background. I don't hit the bag from the side at this point and am only beginning to experiment with elbow strikes, but I like the change of scenery.

Anyhow the whole point is that the Deville swivel is excellent and I think it will help me become a better bagger!

Comment

• Speedbag Seaweed Man
          Speed Bag Guru
          • Apr 2015

Originally posted by Commander View Post
          I wanted to also chime in as a novice bagger. I recently installed a Deville swivel, and as Dee advised, I needed to slow down in order to get my mojo back! It was a bit frustrating at first, but taking it slow and easy, and refining muscle memory and focus are bringing excellent results. I like the swivel because it forces me to be more accurate and to concentrate harder, and of course it is much faster than the one that came with the Balazs board. I also heard the knocking sound reported by others, and as I suspect it is most likely a technique issue, not an equipment issue! So I am going to work on that aspect as well. My swivel didn't come with a gasket that some have mentioned, but I will keep working on my technique before I see if I need it for noise abatement. I'm about to transition from the red (medium) Title bag to the gold shortly, but want to refine my technique before adding another variable.

On a related note, I find that facing the bag from a different direction (i.e., standing to the side with a wall near one of my shoulders) provides a very different training experience, and forces my eyes to look at the bag and not get distracted by a different background. I don't hit the bag from the side at this point and am only beginning to experiment with elbow strikes, but I like the change of scenery.

Anyhow the whole point is that the Deville swivel is excellent and I think it will help me become a better bagger!
          Hi Commander. I really enjoyed reading your post and agree with you entirely. And I like your choice of speedbags too. The gold 5x8 is a really nice bag to hit and I think you will love it. The knocking sound you speak of- are you referring to the 'click' of the eye bolt touching the base of the swivel, or are you describing the 'clunk' sound of the brass bolt jumping up inside the base when the bag is mis hit? The clicking sound is a quality of the swivel appreciated by the ears of many punch drummers, whereas the clunk is also a common sound coming from my swivel but is caused by operator error. I know what you mean about standing to the side of the bag. I generally hit standing in the same place each time but I gaze at the swivel more than at the bag while underway. I feel the swivel can indicate a lot by it's movement and as it doesn't move as far as the bag it isn't going as fast and the eyes can relax .
          Glad to hear you're still baggin- post up a video for us!

Comment

• Speedbag
            Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Hi Commander. I really enjoyed reading your post and agree with you entirely. And I like your choice of speedbags too. The gold 5x8 is a really nice bag to hit and I think you will love it. The knocking sound you speak of- are you referring to the 'click' of the eye bolt touching the base of the swivel, or are you describing the 'clunk' sound of the brass bolt jumping up inside the base when the bag is mis hit? The clicking sound is a quality of the swivel appreciated by the ears of many punch drummers, whereas the clunk is also a common sound coming from my swivel but is caused by operator error. I know what you mean about standing to the side of the bag. I generally hit standing in the same place each time but I gaze at the swivel more than at the bag while underway. I feel the swivel can indicate a lot by it's movement and as it doesn't move as far as the bag it isn't going as fast and the eyes can relax .
            Glad to hear you're still baggin- post up a video for us!
            absolutely!
            Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
            *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
            The Quest Continues...
            Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Commander
              Speed Bag Trainee
              • Mar 2015

Thanks gentlemen!
              Speedbag Seaweed Man, the sound indeed is "clunking" and is decreasing. I do like the clicking sound, as it provides a nice percussive note to the workout. I'll do a video when I am feeling a bit more confident!

Comment

• mirokiuru
                • Jun 2015

Originally posted by tomwalker
                what is diffrence between speed ball and swivel? are they same?
                Hey mate! Speedball or speed bag is the thing you punch. the speedbag is hanging from swivel. There are different swivels to choosw from. Deville 13 is BALLHOOK swivel and thats why you may be litlebit confused.

Comment

• speedball708
                  • Apr 2015

Did your deville swivel start to flatten out were the eyelet hits the base? Mine did a little, wondering if it's normal and will it effect the ball in the base?

Comment

• Speedbag Seaweed Man
                    Speed Bag Guru
                    • Apr 2015

Yeah, I know what you mean. I wondered that at first, but it turns out the eyelet can just barely touch the base at the extremity of its movements and is responsible for the light clinking sound which is a trait of the balhook type swivel- but the bag prevents the base getting worn excessively in the way it rebounds off the board and limits the distance the eyelet can travel. Even my 5x8 title bag is large enough to allow the eyelet to just touch the base, but because the bag doesn't wear down smaller the base doesn't either. I think the visible marks on mine were made during the swivels first hour or so of use and this is why I rekon it never seems to get any worse? Mine have seen a reasonable amount of use now.
                    Attached Files

Comment

• mirokiuru
                      • Jun 2015

Hey speedbal708! Its normal that after time the swivel base gets flatt because metal hitting it

Comment

• speedball708
                        • Apr 2015

Thanks everyone, just wanted to make sure. The swivel excellent!!

Comment

• Davidlwilkie
                          • Apr 2017

fyi My deville 13 wore pretty big groves in the front and back but I never even noticed until recently. I never noticed any performance issues and it lasted way longer than the everlast nylon setup which the ball did eventually pop out of.

Comment

• aggie97
                            Speed Bag Trainee
                            • Jun 2015

Can someone tell me where I can get a Deville swivel? I purchased one a couple years ago but can’t find it after our recent move. If they are no longer available then what is the next best swivel.

Comment

• jaja6009
                              Speed Bag Guru
                              • Dec 2016

SpeedBagShack.com had them in stock a year ago, that's when I got mine. But it seems like they may not be getting them in stock anytime soon as it is not even listed as out of stock last time I looked, it was just not listed at all.

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                              Working...