• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Abstraction
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • Oct 2007

Mounting w/Metal Studs

Hello all... i'm just getting started with speed bagging and picked up this setup:

It seems to be pretty sturdy (for the price), but my problem is mounting it. I'd like to mount it in my basement but all the walls are metal studs. The platform has lag bolts for mounting into wood studs, but those will probably just strip right out of the metal studs.

What i was planning on doing was taking two horizontal strips of 1x4 (or 2x4) and mounting those across 3-4 studs with toggle bolts, then using the lag bolts to screw into those wood strips.

I inquired about this at my local Home Depot and they told me that they wouldn't recommend the toggle bolts with steel studs.

a) does the guy i talked to at Home Depot have any clue what he's talking about?

b) what is the recommended setup for steel studded walls - i know it's less than ideal, but i really dont have any other choice in terms of locations for mounting.

Thanks!
  • Speedbag
    Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Hi Abstraction

I have never had to hang a speed bag unit on METAL STUDS. I know that is all the rage in modern construction and I would think someone would know how to deal with that. Actually, it's an excellent topic for more and more people will encounter all metal framing.
    Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
    *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
    The Quest Continues...
    Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Abstraction
      Speed Bag Trainee
      • Oct 2007

Originally posted by Speedbag View Post
      Hi Abstraction

I have never had to hang a speed bag unit on METAL STUDS. I know that is all the rage in modern construction and I would think someone would know how to deal with that. Actually, it's an excellent topic for more and more people will encounter all metal framing.
      Thanks.... hopefully someone can chime in here!
      I've seen articles on mounting Plasma TV brackets with toggle bolts... and some of those weigh 75-100lbs. My platform is fairly cheap, so it's nowhere near that heavy, but it obviously cantilevers out from the wall significantly more than a TV would, so i'm somewhat torn on what to do. i have a box of bolts, a few strips of 1x4's and some lagbolts... i'm just waiting for someone to tell me that i'm not completely stupid for trying this

Comment

• Chris M
        Speed Bag Guru
        • Mar 2006

Is there any way to drill all the way through the wall and use bolts and washers? That seems to me to be the sturdiest option because the steel studs aren't made of very thick material.

I honestly don't know much about this type of construction either.

Comment

• ninja420
          • Jan 2007

Im sory to say that its a bad Idea from the start. 1/4 inch toggle bolts would be the best way I know. But I would not even recomend that. If it is your home you could find the studs cut out a 16" x ? inch square out of the drywall and brace your studs horzontaly then patch the drywall and mount your platform to that. but other than that its pretty much a lose lose situation.

Comment

• Abstraction
            Speed Bag Trainee
            • Oct 2007

I can't go right through the wall to the other side as there's a room there that i would like to keep untouched. I would prefer not to have to cut/patch the drywall if at all possible...

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Someone must know a contractor or decorator who hangs heavy items on metal framed walls. It can't be that hard.

can it??

links of interest:

Attaching Cabinets To Steel Studs

Hanging IKEA wall cabinets on drywall with metal studs

Hanging large signs on metal stud wall
              Last edited by Speedbag; 10-02-2007, 01:28 AM.
              Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Abstraction
                Speed Bag Trainee
                • Oct 2007

So i've finally got it mounted... (credit to my dad for the design!)

The solution was to to take a couple pieces of 8' UniStrut. They're anchored in the floor with a couple concrete anchors, and in the ceiling to a piece of wood that's screwed into the joists. It's pretty solid if you ask me... i'm not hardcore or anything, so i'm sure it'll hold up just fine. Here's a couple pictures for reference.
                Attached Files

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Wow, man that is a really original idea. Looks like solid construction. Great job.
                  Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Abstraction
                    Speed Bag Trainee
                    • Oct 2007

Wow, man that is a really original idea. Looks like solid construction. Great job.
                    Thanks!

The great part is that because its unistrut, the mounts are very easily height adjustable... just loosen the bolts, slide to the right position, and tighten again.

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by Abstraction View Post
                      Thanks!

The great part is that because its unistrut, the mounts are very easily height adjustable... just loosen the bolts, slide to the right position, and tighten again.
                      I'd like to see more pictures of that to fully understand how the vertical struts that hold and support the board, and how the board is adjusted up or down.
                      Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Abstraction
                        Speed Bag Trainee
                        • Oct 2007

I'd like to see more pictures of that to fully understand how the vertical struts that hold and support the board, and how the board is adjusted up or down.
                        Not sure how clear it is in this picture. but you can see that on the inside of the strut its not a traditional nut. here's a better diagram:

The actual black speedbag platform mount (in the first set of pictures i posted) has four mounting holes. They're bolted into the unistrut using those same anchors. the springs don't do anything but keep the anchors from sliding around while you're trying to screw them in. To adjust the platform, i just need someone to hold the platform while i loosen the 4 bolts, adjust the height, then tighten again.

I hope that makes sense?

Anyway - it doesn't look like a lot, but these things can support a tonne of weight. they're used in a lot of mechanical and electrical installations, shelving, etc.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                        Working...