• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Chris M
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Mar 2006

Title GEL boxing gloves

As I stated earlier in the Fitness forum, I recently started taking a boxing class that steadily continues to kick my ass. The only type of workout that I can compare it to is when I was either in Officer Candidate School or Army Basic Training. In any case, it's a non stop workout for an hour with no breaks. I (probably like most people) push myself harder when I've got someone yelling at me to keep going. It's easy to stop and give myself a break when no one's watching and I'm by myself.

Anyway, back to the point... I 've had a set of Everlast Training gloves for the last several years that I've used at home on the heavy bag just like these: http://store.everlastboxing.com/ever...ng-gloves.html and my instructor recommended a better set for various reasons, and I bought these: http://store.titleboxing.com/title-g...ng-gloves.html

Although I haven't used them yet since I got them yesterday, the quality of these Title gloves are amazing! The only thing I can compare it to is when I bought my first quality bicycle from a regular bike store when I'd had nothing but Huffy's my entire life. It's like going from a toy to something professional.

To start off with, they're all leather, and these gloves actually fit your hand much better. The quality comparison between the Everlast gloves and the Title gloves is unbelievable. Granted, Everlast's more expensive gloves are probably very nice as well, but I've been satisfied with Title so far, so I thought I'd give them another chance. Wow!!!! I can't say enough about the fit of the glove, the quality of workmanship and the quality of materials. I always feel good about my purchase when it is a nice piece of equipment.

If you're in the market for a set of training gloves, I'd highly recommend these Title gloves!
  • o0obruceleeo0o
    • Sep 2006

I actually am in the market for a set of training gloves . I was thinking about the More expensive Everlast training gloves, but I haven't seen these Title GEL gloves. Are you going to use them for sparring or bagwork or what? Let me know how you like them if you get the chance .

Comment

• Chris M
      Speed Bag Guru
      • Mar 2006

Originally posted by o0obruceleeo0o View Post
      I actually am in the market for a set of training gloves . I was thinking about the More expensive Everlast training gloves, but I haven't seen these Title GEL gloves. Are you going to use them for sparring or bagwork or what? Let me know how you like them if you get the chance .
      I haven't used them in sparring yet since my class is not until Monday, but I have hit the heavy bag with them. I will be using these for sparring, bag work, target mitts, etc.

These things rock! I'm sure I'll like them much better even for sparring. The padding is so much more nicer it's unbelievable. They're softer but still provide more protection, it's hard to describe.

Where I notice the most difference is not so much around the fist, but the padding and support around the wrist area. The Everlast gloves are kind of thin and wimpy around the wrist and when you're wearing them, it's not very hard to bend your wrist backwards. With the Title gloves, it is impossible. The padding on the top of the wrist is twice as thick and the padding and support on the bottom part of your hand extending down to your wrist is much better. It's all but impossible to bend your wrist backwards. Granted, the Everlast gloves I have are well broken in, but I can tell by the fit and the attention to detail on little things like support and extra and better padding in different places that the Title gloves are vastly superior.
      Last edited by Chris M; 11-17-2006, 09:48 AM.

Comment

• rellik134
        Speed Bag Trainee
        • Nov 2006

Can anyone explain the difference between Bag gloves and Training gloves?

Comment

• Speedbag
          Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by rellik134 View Post

I know that some gloves are better for BAG work and not recommended for sparring. The bag glove promotion says "bag" and the "training" glove does not say bag. That might have something to do with it.

I know many boxers will not use their sparring gloves on bags, for bags will tear them up.

Other than that, sometimes bag gloves are heavier and have more wrist support.
          Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
          *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
          The Quest Continues...
          Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• o0obruceleeo0o
            • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Speedbag View Post

I know many boxers will not use their sparring gloves on bags, for bags will tear them up.
            Yeah, I've actually heard that you shouldn't use your sparring gloves on the heavy bag because it will toughen them up and be harder on your sparring partner.

Comment

• Chris M
              Speed Bag Guru
              • Mar 2006

I have the answer! I just picked up a boxing fitness book last night, and in the beginning where they discuss equipment, they say that bag gloves are different from sparring gloves. I didn't pick up the book expecting or even thinking about getting an answer to your question, but it was right there in the first five pages!

Bag gloves have just enough protection to protect your hands when hitting the bag, and training or sparring gloves are designed to protect the hands and offfset the blows from a sparring partner, I guess for when you parry a blow with your hand open like it was a target mitt, which is something I'm now learning to do in my class.

So there you are, I didn't know there was a difference. I guess dumb luck let me buy a set of sparring gloves which is what I needed. I'll have to ask my boxing coach why he omitted this fact when he advised me to buy a new set of gloves. Maybe he didn't think it would make a difference at this stage in my training.

Comment

• rellik134
                Speed Bag Trainee
                • Nov 2006

Right on guys! You guys have always answered my questions. Thanks for making it easy on a Newb! Cant wait to get the Speed Bag Bible!

Comment

• Chris M
                  Speed Bag Guru
                  • Mar 2006

Originally posted by o0obruceleeo0o View Post
                  Yeah, I've actually heard that you shouldn't use your sparring gloves on the heavy bag because it will toughen them up and be harder on your sparring partner.
                  I think all my sparring partners must have used their gloves on bags then. Most of them have pretty hard gloves.

Comment

• Speedbag
                    Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Gloves

some boxing and martial arts club actually forbid the "sparring gloves" to be used on bags. A roughed up glove surface can cut the skin easier. Not what you want to do to your own members and partners.
                    Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
                    *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
                    The Quest Continues...
                    Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• bigpete405
                      • Oct 2009

I have the same title gel gloves as you they are amazing. I used to use these cheapo top contender gloves until I threw a grazing hook at the heavy bag and ripped the skin off my knuckels with wraps under them also... needless to say I couldn't agree with your assessment more. The title glove are like stepping up from a 1990 civic to and 09 benz550. I have complete confidence when punching that my hands are safe.

Comment

• bigpete405
                        • Oct 2009

I use them at my boxing gym also with my coach. I didn't get a pair of gloves strictly for training yet. sparring pair/ heavy bag pair. We all use the same gloves, as long as they aren't torn up on the knuckles.

Comment

• whiptats
                          Speed Bag Trainee
                          • Dec 2008

2 cents

I have noticed that many "Bag" gloves have a metal bar in the palm...probably better not to spar with them. Anybody remember whenever somebody boxes in a cartoon the bad guy always puts a horseshoe in his boxing gloves?

Comment

• Tim
                            Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

Originally posted by whiptats View Post
                            I have noticed that many "Bag" gloves have a metal bar in the palm...probably better not to spar with them. Anybody remember whenever somebody boxes in a cartoon the bad guy always puts a horseshoe in his boxing gloves?

Yeah, I've seen that. Why do they do that? Is it supposed to help trainees make sure they make a fist? or to ensure they keep a tight fist, or just for extra weight?

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                            Working...