• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Chris M
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Mar 2006

Why do bags lose air over time?

I have about six bags of various sizes and manufacturers. I've noticed that none of them will hold air for more than a week or so. They don't go completely flat, but they all require a couple of pumps or so to bring them back up to the pressure that I prefer.

Does everyone else also notice this?
  • Dutchman
    Speed Bag Historian
    • Jun 2006

There is basically two reasons for this. One is that there is some leakage from the valve. By the nature of how it works and the material it is made from a little air will escape through it. The other pertains to natural rubber or latex bladders. This material is not 100% air tight, and air will escape eventually through it, The rate of deflation depends upon the quality of the rubber. Now the plastic bladders this is not as much of a problem, but they will also deflate via the valve. This is not taking into account any leakage caused by use. A bladder not fitted perfectly will develope pinholes over time. Overinflation may cause failure of the valve.

Comment

• Chris M
      Speed Bag Guru
      • Mar 2006

Originally posted by Dutchman View Post
      There is basically two reasons for this. One is that there is some leakage from the valve. By the nature of how it works and the material it is made from a little air will escape through it. The other pertains to natural rubber or latex bladders. This material is not 100% air tight, and air will escape eventually through it, The rate of deflation depends upon the quality of the rubber. Now the plastic bladders this is not as much of a problem, but they will also deflate via the valve. This is not taking into account any leakage caused by use. A bladder not fitted perfectly will develope pinholes over time. Overinflation may cause failure of the valve.

I understand, but do you or anyone else have this problem or do all your bags never lose any air?

Comment

• Dutchman
        Speed Bag Historian
        • Jun 2006

Oh yes definitely, especially the bags with latex bladders

Comment

• rellik134
          Speed Bag Trainee
          • Nov 2006

Seems like mine does. I find myself putting one or two pumps in a week. Because im a newb, I wasn't sure if my fists were getting stronger and i was wanting it faster, or if it was losing air. But for the past 3 weeks, I would say I have been adding 2 pumps or so a week.

Comment

• Tim
            Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

Originally posted by Chris M View Post
            I understand, but do you or anyone else have this problem or do all your bags never lose any air?
            Mine lose air at varying rates... The ringsides seem to go flat in a heartbeat, the title's tend to last longer... they all lose air over time though

Comment

• Chris M
              Speed Bag Guru
              • Mar 2006

Originally posted by rellik134 View Post
              Seems like mine does. I find myself putting one or two pumps in a week. Because im a newb, I wasn't sure if my fists were getting stronger and i was wanting it faster, or if it was losing air. But for the past 3 weeks, I would say I have been adding 2 pumps or so a week.
              Okay, well that's exactly what I've always experienced. I usually need to give a couple of pumps a week.

I'm glad to know it's not just me!

Comment

• Speedbag
                Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Bag loses air

Ditto on bags losing air over time. I think temperature also effects the rate of loss.

I normally refrain from continuosly filling bags, for every time you stick in the needle, you risk damaging the air valve, or at least make a leaky valve worse.
                Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
                *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
                The Quest Continues...
                Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Kevdawg0324
                  • Oct 2006

i find that my title bag loses air, but not very fast. i might give it a pump or two every other week. i think title bags are plastic bladders if im not mistaken. if it isnt, it sure does feel like it is, because it is light!

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                  Working...