• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Chris M
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Mar 2006

Ringside Heavy Bag #LHB 100

I recently ordered a heavy bag from Ringside and received it yesterday.

This is the bag I ordered: http://www.ringside.com/DETAIL.ASPX?ID=25262

I selected this bag over this 100 lb Title bag: http://store.titleboxing.com/hbl.html I'm sure that based on my other Title products that I own, the quality would be excellent, but the Ringside edged it out for the following reasons: The Ringside bag had more reinforcements (six on each tab vs. 2) for the D ring tabs, was $10.00 cheaper, and I had my choice of two colors.

I ordered this bag on Sunday evening around 5:00 and it came UPS yesterday (Thursday), which was only 4 days, which was very impressive in itself.

Along with the bag, they threw in a long sleeve Ringside t-shirt and a little boxing glove keyring for no charge which was an unexpected surprise.

The quality of the bag was very impressive, certainly much better than the Everlast vinyl, canvas, or nevatear bags I was seriously considering buying from Dick's Sporting Goods here in my town for only $50.00 less. I'm really glad I spent the extra $50 and ordered this one online sight unseen! What a difference between this one and the ones at Dick's!

The tabs for the rings on top are all sewn and reinforced with 6 rivets each and there is a "D" ring on the bottom for securing the bag to a weight to keep it from moving around as much if so desired.

It came with all the chains and a built in swivel at the top along with a snap ring to easily secure it to the mount I already had mounted in my basement ceiling. The leather is of good quality and appears to be pretty thick and durable which is another thing I was concerned about. You have your choice of colors and I chose red, just to be a little different. The leather dye appears to be sprayed on, as I can see some overspray and some spots around the D-ring tabs that were missed, but it's hard to notice and is absolutely not an issue with me whatsoever.

The bag is not rock hard, but it's not really soft like a water bag either. It appears to be just about right and I'm sure it will soften up some and settle with age. It supposedly has a two inch foam liner which had me concerned that it would be too soft, (because of Ringside's statement calling it a "soft fill") but I can only push in the bag about 1/4 to 1/2" with my fingers. I was afraid this bag might be like the water bags at my boxing gym that sink in about two inches or so when you punch them and I've grown to dislike them and avoid using them if at all possible.

Also, for what it's worth, it appears to have some kind of reinforcement in the top to keep the bag square at the top so that when the stuffing settles, it won't start getting that teardrop shape like a speed bag has. I've seen bags at the gym where the chains are almost touching each other where they are connected. I know this is because they've received very heavy use, and those particular bags are vinyl Everlast bags anyway, so they are not of the highest quality to begin with, so I'm not sure that's a fair comparison. I'm sure Everlast's more expensive heavy bags will go toe to toe with any of their competitors when comparing "apples to apples" if you will.

This bag (and the goodies that Ringside threw in for "free") was an excellent bargain and I'd highly recommend it.

I'll post pictures later when I get home. I'm on my lunch break at work right now and thought I'd throw in a quick review of my new purchase.

I did work on it for about 5 minutes last night with a cheap set of bag gloves that I have, so I haven't REALLY worked out on it yet. I will do that tonight.

By the way, I've become convinced that heavy bags would make excellent torture devices! These things will kick your ass if you do three or four hard quick hitting nonstop 3-minute rounds on them with a 30 or 60 second break in between, at least it does for me. I have been working out on a cheapie vinyl 40 pound Century bag that I picked up at a garage sale a while back and I was getting tired of it moving around so much. I plan on hanging that one from a tree in the back yard this spring. I know the movement is desirable sometimes, but it's not the kind of workout I wanted and it's obvious from this heavyweight that movement is not going to be the issue that it was with the lighter bag.

p.s., In the picture you may wonder what's going on with the chains. I shortened up the chains so I could get the bag a little higher so I used a couple of snap rings I had laying around to shorten the chains and raise the bag by about six inches. To keep the excess chain from rattling, I taped them up in a ball with duct tape. It was a lot easier to do it that way.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Chris M; 12-15-2006, 03:23 PM.
  • rellik134
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • Nov 2006

Please let me know how you like it. I have an Everlast leather 100 pounder. Parts of it are very hard. It has softened up since ive been attacking those harder spots. But I have been very curious about the bag you purchased. I do enjoy the harder parts alot at times because of the solid hits. But sometimes I dont feel like busting up my hands. My fists are new to this type of abuse. But they are getting stronger, and hitting the hard parts on the bag are contributing to that im sure. I do have a smaller 50 pound bag that I have too. But I think I want to whale at 100% strength without having to worry about hitting the brick hard areas.

Comment

• Chris M
      Speed Bag Guru
      • Mar 2006

It's official, I love this bag, as much as you can love a heavy bag that causes me so much pain.

Comment

• BillyMack
        • Sep 2006

How's about a vid of you workin it??

P.S. Before you answer that, why don't you ask Santa for a new camera

Comment

• Chris M
          Speed Bag Guru
          • Mar 2006

Originally posted by BillyMack View Post
          How's about a vid of you workin it??

P.S. Before you answer that, why don't you ask Santa for a new camera
          I'd like to have a video camera. I told my wife I was considering buying her a nice Canon Video Camera that records to DVD for Christmas but she said she didn't want it. Doh! I should have just bought it without telling her first.

Comment

• rellik134
            Speed Bag Trainee
            • Nov 2006

LoL. Yah you shoulda bought it first. LoL. I want that heavy bag for xmas, but I think ill get that ringside speedbag sbplat#3 first . Hopefully I can return all my xmas gifts and get it b4 the sale goes away. You dont think its too soft at all?

Comment

• Chris M
              Speed Bag Guru
              • Mar 2006

Originally posted by rellik134 View Post
              LoL. Yah you shoulda bought it first. LoL. I want that heavy bag for xmas, but I think ill get that ringside speedbag sbplat#3 first . Hopefully I can return all my xmas gifts and get it b4 the sale goes away. You dont think its too soft at all?
              No, not in the least. It's actually on the hard side. At least it's harder than all the heavy bags at my boxing gym. I know those bags have had the hell beaten out of them and I have no doubt mine will get softer. Thats what they sell cheap clothes at Goodwill for though, right?

Comment

• joec
                Speed Bag Trainee
                • Dec 2006

Chris,

That is a really nice bag. I recently bought a used 100 lb Everlast Nevatear bag. I don't like it. It has the problem you described where the top is very thin and soft and the bottom is like a brick. I paid 50 bucks which I thought was a good deal at the time but now I realize that it was a mistake. How much did u pay for shipping?

Regarding the hanging of the bag, I was thinking of adding a spring in beween the connection on the ceiling and the chain to reduce stress on my studs. Any thoughts on this?

Thanks, Joe
                ________
                K125
                Last edited by joec; 01-22-2011, 05:06 PM.

Comment

• BillyMack
                  • Sep 2006

Originally posted by joec View Post
                  Chris,

That is a really nice bag. I recently bought a used 100 lb Everlast Nevatear bag. I don't like it. It has the problem you described where the top is very thin and soft and the bottom is like a brick. I paid 50 bucks which I thought was a good deal at the time but now I realize that it was a mistake. How much did u pay for shipping?

Regarding the hanging of the bag, I was thinking of adding a spring in beween the connection on the ceiling and the chain to reduce stress on my studs. Any thoughts on this?

Thanks, Joe
                  I think your problem was buying a used heavy bag...most of the time there's no telling how much abuse the bag received in past lives...regarding the spring...

If you buy a heavy bag at full price from Title ask them to throw in a heavy duty spring...my guess says they'll do it...

Comment

• Chris M
                    Speed Bag Guru
                    • Mar 2006

Originally posted by joec View Post
                    Chris,

Thanks, Joe
                    I still have my old bag that was hard as a brick on the bottom and soft on top. What I did was lay it on the floor and jump and stomp around on it and rolled it 1/4 and did the same to try to redistribute the stuffing. I want to hang it outside and see how redistributing the stuffing will work. I may have to do that from time to time, and it may work, I don't know. It's only a 40 or 50 lb bag and it was one I got for really cheap at a garage sale, but this might work. I'll anchor it from the bottom and see if I can make it a useable outdoors bag.

To answer your question, I think I paid about $30 bucks or so in shipping. With tax and shipping from Kansas to Illinois I paid just over $200 and it was well worth it in my opinion. It's kind of nice to have nicer equipment at home than they have in the gym that I go to. Of course, I'll keep going back for my boxing classes to get my a$$ kicked twice a week, but I love practicing on my bags at home.

As far as the spring, yes, I think it would absolutely reduce some stress on the rafters in your house, but those springs are about 7-10" long and that may put the bag too low. It's really out of the question in my basement seeing as how I have such a low ceiling in there. I have my anchored directly into the studs that are 2x10's (yes, you read that correctly, my house was built in 1925 and it's built very sturdy) and there is absolutely no ill effects and I've had that thing in there for over a month now and the bag has gotten regular beatings and workouts in that time. The only thing is my wife and son says the floor shakes a lot when I'm down there working out.

Comment

• joec
                      Speed Bag Trainee
                      • Dec 2006

Hey Chris - how u been?

Well it's been about a year since I have been on this forum and am now getting back into training. How has this bag worked out for you. In other words has it passed the time test. A lot of bags start out great but don't hold up very well.

Thanks, Joe
                      ________
                      Suzuki GR650
                      Last edited by joec; 01-22-2011, 05:07 PM.

Comment

• metaldad
                        Speed Bag Guru
                        • Apr 2007

Hey Chris, I think I got the same Century bag you're talking about. Mine is about 60#or 70# plus I added some old clothes and rags to give it extra weight. Maybe when I win the lottery I'll get one of those Ringside 100-150# bags plus a new video camera. Santa said no to the camera and other toys this time around, but at least the young uns got the good loot lol.
                        sigpic

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                        Working...