• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SpeedbagSharkface
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • Jan 2012

Nick Diaz hit the speed bag for 23min straight

Nick Diaz speed bag training in preparation for his fight with GSP.

• Speedbag
    Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

That is a long time to be punching....
    Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
    *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
    The Quest Continues...
    Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• paranday
      Speed Bag Guru
      • Sep 2009

MsDeville and I talked about this vid on Sunday and thought his form was lousy. Anyone want to tell him?

Comment

• Zaza
        Speed Bag Guru
        • Apr 2011

Originally posted by paranday View Post
        MsDeville and I talked about this vid on Sunday and thought his form was lousy. Anyone want to tell him?
        I'd say, in this case, it's more about endurance then form.....and I know many of us here hit for WAY longer then 23 minutes at a time. My regular workout playlist is a little over 90 minutes and I punch straight through that daily.

I KNOW MsDeville hits for hours at a time too... just sayin'
        Art of the Bag - A Speed Bag Story
        http://www.artofthebag.com

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

That is the question I always have with boxers on the speed bag. The are practicing punching with bad form compared to how they fight in the ring. I would think they would use more of their ring stance and combinations, more like the double end bag. Of course they speed bag as we hit it works the shoulder and arm endurance but the poor punching form of a bag normally waaay up high just seems to defeat the form purpose.
          Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• paranday
            Speed Bag Guru
            • Sep 2009

Originally posted by Zaza View Post
            I'd say, in this case, it's more about endurance then form.....and I know many of us here hit for WAY longer then 23 minutes at a time. My regular workout playlist is a little over 90 minutes and I punch straight through that daily.

Diaz is a non story.

Check out this gal,

`
            Last edited by paranday; 03-12-2013, 08:13 AM.

Comment

• metaldad
              Speed Bag Guru
              • Apr 2007

GSP will when he kicks Diaz's ass

Originally posted by Speedbag View Post
              That is the question I always have with boxers on the speed bag. The are practicing punching with bad form compared to how they fight in the ring. I would think they would use more of their ring stance and combinations, more like the double end bag. Of course they speed bag as we hit it works the shoulder and arm endurance but the poor punching form of a bag normally waaay up high just seems to defeat the form purpose.
              Funny you mention using the speed bag like a de bag Alan. I got a video up in the Pictures and Video section "just another way to work it" check it out if you haven't already.

I'm not a fan of either Diaz brother. Though they are, talented fighters, their lack of humity and, Nate Diaz in particular, has a messed up habit of being completely disrespectful to other fighters just for the sake of "getting in their heads" . I was glad to see Nate Diaz finally get whipped. Again, extremely talented fighters, but crappy attitudes.
              sigpic

Comment

• MsDeville

• Oct 2009

Originally posted by metaldad View Post
                I'm not a fan of either Diaz brother. Though they are, talented fighters,
                their lack of humility and, Nate Diaz in particular, has a messed up habit of being completely disrespectful to other fighters just for the sake of "getting in their heads" .
                I was glad to see Nate Diaz finally get whipped. Again, extremely talented fighters, but crappy attitudes.
                My partner, "Trainer Raul" is with you on that one, MD. And, coming from a boxing background, Raul totally agrees with what you said, too, Alan. Raul wonders why Diaz hits the bag "like a girl."

I'd say, in this case, it's more about endurance than form.....and I know many of us here hit for WAY longer then 23 minutes at a time. My regular workout playlist is a little over 90 minutes and I punch straight through that daily.

When I think about it, you're right, Joe. A lot of us bag addicts are punching for at least a half hour at a time, if not longer. I usually average 1 hour to 1-1/2 hours every other night. But, because I punch to music, I usually have a few seconds in between songs to take a drink of water, or to switch out the bag. So I've never punched for a continuous 20+ minutes. I have a 9-minute-long punch drumming video on YouTube (Pat Metheny song... yeah, I know ), but, I've never recorded myself for 20 solid minutes! So, maybe I'll have to give it a try.
                sigpic Contact me anytime for information about Deville Swivels Email: DevilleSwivels@gmail.com
                I'm also on Facebook: www.facebook.com/DevilleSwivels | www.facebook.com/SpeedBagAddicts

Comment

• fedora
                  Speed Bag Guru
                  • Dec 2012

I wonder how much of that bad boy image is real though. How many extra tickets got sold just so they can hopefully see GPS beat the disrespect out of him. So much of what we see today is scripted it's hard to know.

fedora

Comment

• fedora
                    Speed Bag Guru
                    • Dec 2012

Back in the 60s, long before everyone recognized Pro Wrestling was staged, I remember going to the fairgrounds and watching the Portland Wrestling stars go at it. They acted like they just hated each other and one would always be the bad guy and do all the little dirty tricks that somehow the ref would just never see. One night we hung around the grounds after the show was over and I can still remember seeing this big Caddy pulling out with all the wrestlers in it. Just an hour ago they were yelling and screaming at each other but now they can all sit together in the same car traveling to the next venue. It was a little like finding out there was no Santa Claus.

Today just about everything is scripted, Pawn Stars, etc all have people set up to come in and put on a show. I find it hard to believe Dana White would be above all that. In the UFC I know the fights are real but as for the pre-fight antics, hmm I'm not so sure.

fedora
                    Last edited by fedora; 03-13-2013, 10:21 AM.

Comment

• Zaza
                      Speed Bag Guru
                      • Apr 2011

Originally posted by fedora View Post
                      It was a little like finding out there was no Santa Claus.
                      Wait... what are you saying... there is no Santa Claus?
                      Art of the Bag - A Speed Bag Story
                      http://www.artofthebag.com

Comment

• Bag Man
                        • Jan 2011

I got a buddy who knows all about these things, let me call him and get him down here and see if it checks out..
                        "He [Marciano] was far and away the strongest man I've encountered."

Archie Moore

Comment

• fedora
                          Speed Bag Guru
                          • Dec 2012

"The truth shall set you free".

It was amazing how serious some people took those set up phony wrestling bouts. I can remember one time a local guy, who was fairly large himself, was so upset because one of the wrestlers "cheated", he jumped up into the ring and smacked the wrestler. Big mistake, the wrestler was a guy named Lonnie Mayne, took him to the floor in half a second. The police had to come in and break it up. We found out later it was a girls father that we were in high school with. She was embarrassed half to death over the incident.

fedora

Comment

• metaldad
                            Speed Bag Guru
                            • Apr 2007

Personally, I believe that there's no reason for WWE/TNT/IMPACT scripted theatrics in MMA. UFC alone is a multimillion dollar industry. I'm starting to prefer Bellator (much faster pace). Once you throw in the posturing and "bad boy"/villian ridiculousness, it becomes clownish. Yeah, (un)reality tv is as fake as it gets but hey what isn't these days? With or without the theatrics, I'm still done shelling out $50-$60 for pay-per-jyp...
                            sigpic

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by fedora View Post
                              Back in the 60s, long before everyone recognized Pro Wrestling was staged, I remember going to the fairgrounds and watching the Portland Wrestling stars go at it. They acted like they just hated each other and one would always be the bad guy and do all the little dirty tricks that somehow the ref would just never see. One night we hung around the grounds after the show was over and I can still remember seeing this big Caddy pulling out with all the wrestlers in it. Just an hour ago they were yelling and screaming at each other but now they can all sit together in the same car traveling to the next venue. It was a little like finding out there was no Santa Claus.

Today just about everything is scripted, Pawn Stars, etc all have people set up to come in and put on a show. I find it hard to believe Dana White would be above all that. In the UFC I know the fights are real but as for the pre-fight antics, hmm I'm not so sure.

fedora
                              True. Back in my Memphis state days (early 70's) I was into racquetball, lifting and hanging out with some of the football players. a few of us would go over to the house of Mike Stark, who had a great gym in his home (dad was doctor). Mike was huge and eventually he and his friend from an earlier Team, Dean Lotz, went off to wrestling school just out of Memphis. For couple of years Mike and Dean wrestled tag team around western Tennessee and Eastern Arkansas. I have a bunch of relatives around eastern Ark and southeast missouri. Anyway, since I was pretty close with Mike at the time I got to go and attend six or seven of their matches. Most of the wrestlers on that circuit knew each other and became friends. Each man is responsible for his own skills and each learns what they can and can't do or can or can't take. The key is to protect each other in the ring. Promoters can't make fights or money with hurt wrestlers that can fight or careers cut short. They learn the basic moves and train to use as little force as needed but make it look real as possible with subtle tricks of the trade, such as punch to the face, last second open hand slap or hammer fist to chest, stomp the ring when fist hits to shake it hard for force effect. Relax, never resist a move and if the guy knows a counter to your move, go with it. Resisting a move gets you hurt. (just like a karate demo. resist a leg sweep and you end up with a broken leg). Only the outcome of the match is pre-determined, as well as time. Promoters determine who wins or losses and big rivalries are developed over time as characters are developed. They may say "go 10 minutes" and have a cue for ending early or continuing the match. Usually each guy gets a few near falls so the fans of each can stay interested. Most of what happens during the bout is up to the wrestlers and the more real you make it look, the faster you move up. Before matches (singles and tag teams) they will discuss skills such as (two tag attempts fail, 3rd works. two near falls then let man tag out. They know who the "bad guy" or "good guy" is and let each play their role for the crowd. They may tell each other key phases they use in the clinch, such as "All Me".. meaning let me go for mine, or "all you" meaning go for it, take me down. Maybe one tucks a tiny blade in a secret pants pouch to get a bleed going ...each wrestler tells what they can or can't do, such as arm or leg locks, body slams, toss to turn buckle etc. But every move and the order they occur is NOT scripted, and tempers do flare as they do in any other sport. Mike had a bad knee so first rule, do not attack that knee. One night he had bad back and told the other team no body slams that night. Guess they forgot, because they body slammed him and tossed him into the turn buckle, he got a little ticked, picked him up overhead and threw the guy into the seats. oops. That ended the match, with Mike and Dean being disqualified. Management wasn't happy with fans hurt by flying 250 pound guy. Anyway, it was a great time, going to Caruthersville Mo, Piggot Ark, Jonesboro Ark etc to local professional wrestling nights. You don't see it on Pay per view and the fans in folding chairs serious love their local wrestling hero's. I also got to see a bit inside the wrestling world, being the corner man a time or two, holding dean's Cane when he tagged in. I met a few of the better wrestlers who helped me years later in some fund raising events for the Muscular Dystrophy Association, Particular Jerry "the king" Lawler, and James mouth of the South Hart. Lawler did a lot fund raising events in Memphis for us. He was always fun to work with, as was Rick Dees of Memphis Radio during that time.

Don't mistake pre-determined winners and trying not to hurt each other as "fake", because these big guys are still amazing athletes and get hurt all the time. The coordination and timing of the guys in todays main events is simply amazing. But from the wrestlers point of view it's pretty much a brotherhood.

Years later, Mike revised his career as Lord Humongous

Interesting read.

Memphis wrestling history
                              Last edited by Speedbag; 03-15-2013, 05:02 PM.
                              Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                              Working...