• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rdshackleford
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Oct 2016

Arc Swivel Tech Support

Now that a rather significant number of speed baggers have my Arc swivel installed, I think it is a good idea to open a thread here for tech support issues or questions.

I will start by discussing a problem existing in a (very) few of the latest units I shipped, a couple of Arc Gammas that went to new forum member Mydogsparty.

I recently made a batch of nylon tri-hooks for the Arc swivel, and that batch had a few defective units that I should have noticed and rejected, but I missed them. Fire my quality control department! Oh, wait, since this is only my hobby, I don't have a quality control department. Oh well...

I thank Mydogsparty for promptly letting me know there was a problem, and I was very happy to be able to identify and fix it. At first, I thought the defective tri-hooks may have gone out to more people, but it seems that he was the only person to get bad ones. If I am wrong, please contact me.

The specific problem with those tri-hooks is a thing in the 3D printing world called under-extrusion. I believe there was a partial jam of material that caused a few tri-hooks to be less than 100% filled and fused nylon polymer. They looked ok but did not perform. They were weak, and deformed and failed with normal stresses of holding the speed bag.

Who can guess which tri-hook is the good one and which one is the bad one?

A correctly made Arc tri-hook can withstand over 400 lbs. of static tension and is even stronger than a stock Everlast S-hook! Not theory, I tested.
    @ArcSwivel
    #ArcSwivel sigpic
  • JoMan
    • Nov 2016

My guess is he hook on the right is the defective one.

Comment

• paranday
      Speed Bag Guru
      • Sep 2009

Is the one on the left the bad one? 400 lbs. of static tension -- that's amazing.

Comment

• rdshackleford
        Speed Bag Guru
        • Oct 2016

Yes, paranday, the hook on the left is the bad one. Here is a pic of the result of my tension failure test.

These are before and after pics of the tri-hook and the steel Everlast hardware that was holding my tri-hooks during the test...

You can see slight deformation of my tri-hook on the right, but it did not fail. I had to stop the test before the Everlast hook gave out. The max load was around 425lbs. I now use that brave tri-hook as a key chain.

-Rusty
        @ArcSwivel
        #ArcSwivel sigpic

Comment

• rdshackleford
          Speed Bag Guru
          • Oct 2016

Here is the technical data from the test. Note at how at the very end of the test, the max load dropped from 425lbs and started sloping down before I released the pressure from my hydraulic jack. That was when the steel Everlast s-hook started to fail.

@ArcSwivel
          #ArcSwivel sigpic

Comment

• rdshackleford
            Speed Bag Guru
            • Oct 2016

Here are a couple of vids showing how to remove and re-install a tri-hook.

Removal

Installation
            @ArcSwivel
            #ArcSwivel sigpic

Comment

• G-Town
              Speed Bag Trainee

• Jun 2010

Arc's Away

Rusty - The Arc Series in my opinion, stands alone in "Style" and "Performance" Silk smooth (short) action, with a noise control vibe, effortless change out of bags. The 'State of Bag World' is in good hands here on the Forum. Great product and most of all it's made by our own member! Rusty great stuff! ArtOfTheBag

Comment

• rdshackleford
                Speed Bag Guru
                • Oct 2016

G-Town, your avatar... seriously. Update that mofo

-Rusty
                @ArcSwivel
                #ArcSwivel sigpic

Comment

• dad
                  Speed Bag Guru
                  • Dec 2018

Tri-hook

Can the tri hook be purchased separately?

Comment

• rdshackleford
                    Speed Bag Guru
                    • Oct 2016

Maybe. How many, and for what purpose?
                    @ArcSwivel
                    #ArcSwivel sigpic

Comment

• Dejavu157
                      Speed Bag Trainee
                      • Dec 2018

Thank you for this thread!

Comment

• dad
                        Speed Bag Guru
                        • Dec 2018

First thanks for the quick response
                        Just 1 or 2
                        Just an old retired guy [73] on s/s who discovered the ART OF THE BAG
                        and who also likes to puttering in his work shop.
                        Made a few swivels trying to find something just right for me
                        and that hook look quiet and smooth.

Comment

• rdshackleford
                          Speed Bag Guru
                          • Oct 2016

I am considering making a special version of the Tri-Hook that makes a snug fit to the narrow loop on the Title Platinum Perilous bag. If any Arc swivel users out there are using the Perilous bag and would be interested in this custom Tri-Hook, let me know here. I'd probably just charge shipping and material cost for Arc owners.

@ArcSwivel
                          #ArcSwivel sigpic

Comment

• rdshackleford
                            Speed Bag Guru
                            • Oct 2016

Here is a pic of my 1st prototype for the Tri-Hook K5P (P for Perilous)

@ArcSwivel
                            #ArcSwivel sigpic

Comment

• Cazbag
                              Speed Bag Guru
                              • Sep 2018

Originally posted by rdshackleford View Post
                              Here is a pic of my 1st prototype for the Tri-Hook K5P (P for Perilous)

Call me interested! My time with the Arc is limited as just received it. The Perilous is lil slower to get on the hook because it's short as well (the loop). The leather lace flap is creased and sticks up on mine but working it in . Man the light bags love this swivel. Just insane speed!

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                              Working...