• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MsDeville

• Oct 2009

Deville and GIRL TALK – DJ music mix

Somebody stop me!!!!

Well, I was going to punch to some vintage Pablo Cruise when I got home from work yesterday, but, then this song came up on the ipod Playlist... geez. Just couldn't hold back. This is my new Favorite song – or I should say songs! This DJ who calls himself GIRL TALK does an incredible job of blending all genres of music – pop/rock/rap/hiphop... very catchy.

Sorry, this video is not the best quality, and the audio is poor due to the fact that I had the camera too close to the platform. My HD Flip camera "crashed" on me, so I had to use the older camera. This was supposed to be a little 10-second "pre-flight video test" to check on the positioning of my tripod to make sure I was in the shot... Well... once the music started, I just kept going. You just can't plan this...

Baggist, I got it bad, right now...

sigpic Contact me anytime for information about Deville Swivels Email: DevilleSwivels@gmail.com
    I'm also on Facebook: www.facebook.com/DevilleSwivels | www.facebook.com/SpeedBagAddicts
  • paranday
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Sep 2009

You've got it bad, but you've got it down good. Always a pleasure. You're going to wear out that little Title bag before you know it.

Comment

• Speedbag
      Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Great endurance on that, Dee. That's a pretty long song that you keep going to. You might try some single fist pass through's and syncopated combinations to add variety to your beat and relax your shoulders a bit. When you throw a Front Double Punch you might vary it with an Outward or Downward Double Elbow Strike just to move the shoulder a bit and relieve the burn. the double beat sound will stay the same.

ps: sing the 5-1, 3-3 sounds to the song and you'll quickly find the right speed to make them match. You CAN punch that fast. On this song the methods of "straight time punching" ( that you are using...) and the "syncopated rhythms" are actually pretty close to the same speed. It's not hard to jump from one to the other on this song.
      Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
      *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
      The Quest Continues...
      Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• sparrky37
        • Jan 2010

I'm so impressed with your punchdrumming! It was like the bag was already part of the music. Great stuff!

Comment

• The Baggist
          Vert Baggin' Master
          • May 2009

Dee! You definitely GOT IT! Great Vid, awesome punch drumming!! I guess it doesn't hurt to have Mr. Kahn on your side. Move over gentlemen.....Looks like the Ladies are taking over!!!

Comment

• MsDeville

• Oct 2009

Originally posted by paranday View Post
            You've got it bad, but you've got it down good. Always a pleasure. You're going to wear out that little Title bag before you know it.
            I keep waiting for this to wane... still can't get enough... Right now, we're having a warm spell and it gets pretty hot out by the woodshed... Yeah, I like the bounce of this Title bag. I put in a rubber bladder... does this make for a better bag-bounce, I wonder? Glad you find pleasure in my addiction, Jim...

Originally posted by Speedbag View Post
            Great endurance on that, Dee. That's a pretty long song that you keep going to.
            I'm not sure why this happens...always leaning towards the longer music... And, I notice that it takes a couple minutes in to the song to hit my stride... It's not like I need to "warm up" – I usually work out for a while before I decide to turn on recorder...

You might try some single fist pass through's and syncopated combinations to add variety to your beat and relax your shoulders a bit. When you throw a Front Double Punch you might vary it with an Outward or Downward Double Elbow Strike just to move the shoulder a bit and relieve the burn. the double beat sound will stay the same.

ps: sing the 5-1, 3-3 sounds to the song and you'll quickly find the right speed to make them match. You CAN punch that fast. On this song the methods of "straight time punching" ( that you are using...) and the "syncopated rhythms" are actually pretty close to the same speed. It's not hard to jump from one to the other on this song.
            Thanks so much for the suggestions on how to mix it up, Alan. I have posted another video, trying to incorporate some syncopated combinations and some 5-1 (although, I did poorly)... you be the judge...

I think at this stage of my punch-drumming, I'm just punching on impulse, for lack of a better word... it's such a split-second thought as to which punch I'm going to throw next. I need to get back to doing drills of certain punches. Last winter I was able to do outward double elbows... haven't been able to work them in to a routine lately, for some reason. I'm getting so much enjoyment right now just slingin' that bag to the beat of the music...

Originally posted by sparrky37 View Post
            I'm so impressed with your punchdrumming! It was like the bag was already part of the music. Great stuff!
            Thanks, sparrky! I can't go anywhere anymore without noticing percussion sounds. Went to a street fair yesterday and there was a street musician playing a set of plastic 5-gallon tubs! So, yeah, I videotaped it! Might try punching to it later... The amazing thing is, he sounded pretty good! Made me wonder about drummers. Would love to know about Brian's early years of drumming... might have to start a new thread on the message board...

Originally posted by The Baggist View Post
            Dee! You definitely GOT IT! Great Vid, awesome punch drumming!! I guess it doesn't hurt to have Mr. Kahn on your side. Move over gentlemen.....Looks like the Ladies are taking over!!!
            Thanks, Baggist! Just can't stop myself!

Mrs. Mitts is fantastic with her precision and control of the speedball! And, I'm looking forward to seeing some new vids from kjcr30...
            sigpic Contact me anytime for information about Deville Swivels Email: DevilleSwivels@gmail.com
            I'm also on Facebook: www.facebook.com/DevilleSwivels | www.facebook.com/SpeedBagAddicts

Comment

• paranday
              Speed Bag Guru
              • Sep 2009

After viewing this new one, I have only two words to say to you, MsDeville. Are you listening?

you rule

Comment

• MsDeville

• Oct 2009

Originally posted by paranday View Post

After viewing this new one, I have only two words to say to you, MsDeville. Are you listening?

you rule

Thank you, parandy.

Can't seem to stop this "itch" I have lately... (maybe I'll slow down after this current moon phase... it's in the waning gibbous stage right now, whatever that means! )

The phase of the Moon just after a Full MoonThe word "waning" means decreasing in size (referring to the illuminated portion), and "gibbous" means that more than half of the surface is illuminated.The waning gibbous phase becomes the "last quarter" or "third quarter" when the illuminated portion is exactly 50%, leading to the "waning crescent" with less than 50% and eventually a New Moon (totally darkened, as the Moon is between the Earth and the Sun).---Phases of the Moon in sequence:New moon (0%)Waxing crescent moonFirst quarter moon (50%)Waxing gibbous moonFull moon (100%)Waning gibbous moonLast quarter moon (50%)Waning crescent moon
                Attached Files

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by MsDeville View Post
                  Thanks so much for the suggestions on how to mix it up, Alan. I have posted another video, trying to incorporate some syncopated combinations and some 5-1 (although, I did poorly)... you be the judge...

Looks and sounds pretty sweet. You're not "Standing on the Verge of getting it on", - You IS getting it on! You do fall a bit off beat here and there but the key is you get back on. Pure Improvision, just like dancing. Your hands and body know the moves, so like the NIKE promo says: Just Do it!

I think at this stage of my punch-drumming, I'm just punching on impulse, for lack of a better word... it's such a split-second thought as to which punch I'm going to throw next. I need to get back to doing drills of certain punches. Last winter I was able to do outward double elbows... haven't been able to work them in to a routine lately, for some reason. I'm getting so much enjoyment right now just slingin' that bag to the beat of the music...
                  Exactly. Drills of combinations that will give you two things. (1) swing control and (2) sound control. You're not just hitting the bag with music going. When you're punch drumming it is more about sound and beat control, not techniques. The accented "punched" sounds are your main groove, and you're playing your own internal beat from all around that bag. No more no less. When you're really into it, it is just like dancing. How many times have we gotten on a dance floor and danced just fine to a song we have never heard before, with someone we don't know? (Plenty in my day. I was a clubasoarus and during the disco era you either danced or went home. I also belonged to a few square dance groups but that is another story.... )

Doing some of the combinations in Chapter 11 "Echo Rhythms", page 155 - 172 will help develop some sound and beat control from all around that bag. The key is to be able to produce your single, double or Triple accented beats from any position, no matter where your hands are, Without thinking about techniques or the technicality of the movements. Those are learned by drills and repetition.

It's just like a drummer working his set. During the song he/she can't concentrate on the sticking rudiments or the technicality of playing. You learn those cold from focused practice and endless repetition. Slowly (at your own speed) you will learn to "play", using the sticks to make any beats you want, instantly, without concentrating on the technique of drumming itself. NOW you're playing, putting it all together.

To be a bit philosophical, Perhaps you remember the phrase from the Movie The Last Samurai, "Too many mind". Which is very much a part of Bushido. It refers to the state of Mushin, roughly translating to "no mind", or specific thoughts or concentration. You become reaction, movement without specific thought or direction. And that comes from hours and hours of repetition and practice. Improvising on any instrument, and Punch Drumming, is exactly like this. It doesn't matter if you know three techniques or use 18-20 techniques in multiple combinations. You use what you know and their beat to music without specific thought to the technique or mechanics of punching. I notice many baggers trying to punch drum (GREAT!) and trying to do specific combinations they know, shadow punching, double bumps etc., to music and they really don't fit where they use them (beat wise) but they want to do that specific combination. They are thinking about it, setting up probably a few measures ahead, planning how to get their hands right, not really feeling the beat, but beating the bag and ..... and ....... too many mind.

Forget about trying to plan it out (actually when you begin to master it you CAN plan ahead for certain combinations, but that will take a bit of experience) and do some fancy combination you're working on. Just relax and sync your bag beat to the song. when you have it, hold it for 3,4,6,8 measures. A repetitive bag beat in time to the music sounds really great, and that is what a drummer does. they don't do constant fills and solo for a whole song - they maintain a steady repetitive beat for numerous measures.

Last philosophy for the now: When you feel the beat and sync your bag to it, other people hear and feel the bag beat - BUT the truth is - they are hearing and feeling YOUR beat. That is an expression of YOU. The bag is just the medium. Be The Bag.
                  Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Looks and sounds pretty sweet. You're not "Standing on the Verge of getting it on", - You IS getting it on! You do fall a bit off beat here and there but the key is you get back on. Pure Improvision, just like dancing. Your hands and body know the moves, so like the NIKE promo says: Just Do it!

Exactly. Drills of combinations that will give you two things. (1) swing control and (2) sound control. You're not just hitting the bag with music going. When you're punch drumming it is more about sound and beat control, not techniques. The accented "punched" sounds are your main groove, and you're playing your own internal beat from all around that bag. No more no less. When you're really into it, it is just like dancing. How many times have we gotten on a dance floor and danced just fine to a song we have never heard before, with someone we don't know? (Plenty in my day. I was a clubasoarus and during the disco era you either danced or went home. I also belonged to a few square dance groups but that is another story.... )

Doing some of the combinations in Chapter 11 "Echo Rhythms", page 155 - 172 will help develop some sound and beat control from all around that bag. The key is to be able to produce your single, double or Triple accented beats from any position, no matter where your hands are, Without thinking about techniques or the technicality of the movements. Those are learned by drills and repetition.

It's just like a drummer working his set. During the song he/she can't concentrate on the sticking rudiments or the technicality of playing. You learn those cold from focused practice and endless repetition. Slowly (at your own speed) you will learn to "play", using the sticks to make any beats you want, instantly, without concentrating on the technique of drumming itself. NOW you're playing, putting it all together.

To be a bit philosophical, Perhaps you remember the phrase from the Movie The Last Samurai, "Too many mind". Which is very much a part of Bushido. It refers to the state of Mushin, roughly translating to "no mind", or specific thoughts or concentration. You become reaction, movement without specific thought or direction. And that comes from hours and hours of repetition and practice. Improvising on any instrument, and Punch Drumming, is exactly like this. It doesn't matter if you know three techniques or use 18-20 techniques in multiple combinations. You use what you know and their beat to music without specific thought to the technique or mechanics of punching. I notice many baggers trying to punch drum (GREAT!) and trying to do specific combinations they know, shadow punching, double bumps etc., to music and they really don't fit where they use them (beat wise) but they want to do that specific combination. They are thinking about it, setting up probably a few measures ahead, planning how to get their hands right, not really feeling the beat, but beating the bag and ..... and ....... too many mind.

Forget about trying to plan it out (actually when you begin to master it you CAN plan ahead for certain combinations, but that will take a bit of experience) and do some fancy combination you're working on. Just relax and sync your bag beat to the song. when you have it, hold it for 3,4,6,8 measures. A repetitive bag beat in time to the music sounds really great, and that is what a drummer does. they don't do constant fills and solo for a whole song - they maintain a steady repetitive beat for numerous measures.

One last thought: When you feel the beat and sync your bag to it, other people hear and feel the bag beat - BUT the truth is - they are hearing and feeling YOUR beat. That is an expression of YOU. The bag is just the medium. Be The Bag.

You can do it!
                    Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• MsDeville

• Oct 2009

Yes! ... Just do it!...

Wow! What amazing remarks, Alan. Thank you so much for the input and fantastic insight to punch-drumming!

YES! Just Do It! When I'm under the board and in that special zone, I indeed let the hands and the bag make the moves… love that zone! It's a real high. btw…I don't kid myself. I know I'm not always on the beat. And I certainly don't profess to know all the punches or combos… Heck, I may NEVER learn a lot of the punches! But, I'll keep trying'…

You really opened my eyes to the philosophical side of what I am doing... thanks for the references to Mushin...

To be a bit philosophical, Perhaps you remember the phrase from the Movie The Last Samurai, "Too many mind" (http://server.cafemerc.com/_Too-Many...009/46100.html). *Which is very much a part of Bushido. It refers to the state of Mushin (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mushin), roughly translating to "no mind", or specific thoughts or concentration. You become reaction, movement without specific thought or direction. And that comes from hours and hours of repetition and practice. Improvising on any instrument, and Punch Drumming, is exactly like this. It doesn't matter if you know three techniques or use 18-20 techniques in multiple combinations. You use what you know and their beat to music without specific thought to the technique or mechanics of punching. *I notice many baggers trying to punch drum (GREAT!) and trying to do specific combinations they know, shadow punching, double bumps etc., to music and they really don't fit where they use them (beat wise) but they want to do that specific combination. *They are thinking about it, setting up probably a few measures ahead, planning how to get their hands right, not really feeling the beat, but beating the bag and ..... *and ....... too many mind.
                      To be honest, I have very limited knowledge of martial arts, and eastern philosophy, etc. ... I saw some of the Last Samurai..., but never related to it... before this. Now you're piquing my curiosity!...

Forget about trying to plan it out (actually when you begin to master it you CAN plan ahead for certain combinations, but that will take a bit of experience) and do some fancy combination you're working on. *Just relax and sync your bag beat to the song. when you have it, hold it for 3,4,6,8 measures. A repetitive bag beat in time to the music sounds really great, and that is what a drummer does. they don't do constant fills and solo for a whole song - they maintain a steady repetitive beat for numerous measures. *
                      My most recent workout yesterday (with music) was doing just that... keeping a repetitive bag beat... and, consistency. (The upload of this recent vid seems to have gotten a little wacked in translation – audio doesn't sync up with the video for some reason, but might give you an idea of my repetitive moves.) And, I think I'm using a different beat. Or, maybe it's due to the fact I'm on a wood platform. But, whatever it is, I liked it enough to post. I' hooked on hearing the beat...

Last philosophy for the now:

*When you feel the beat and sync your bag to it, other people hear and feel the bag beat - BUT the truth is - they are hearing and feeling YOUR beat. That is an expression of YOU. *The bag is just the medium. *Be The Bag.

Yay! I like to think that what I am doing and what I am feeling while hitting to the music will transcend to the viewer/listener so they feel it too!! Thanks, Alan. You have enlightened me!

GIRL TALK: "Here's The Thing"

FUNKADELIC: "Standing on the Verge of Getting' It On"

Last edited by MsDeville; 07-31-2010, 11:28 PM. Reason: re-posted videos...

Comment

• TJ_MaTee

• Nov 2009

"D", That was "Bad A#*!" You really are getting into punchdrummin'. Great Job! Great Tune! You need to include more of you in the frame while punching. That is a fun tune to punch to (and a difficult one too), lots of different combos if your trying to follow the riff. I didn't know where to find this tune(vid /standing on the verge), glad i did. Keep on Jammin' and Punchin', "Punch and Bag ON!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
                        Last edited by TJ_MaTee; 08-04-2010, 06:04 PM.
                        T.J. MaTEE'[/U][/U] u:

Comment

• Rehab Rob
                          Speed Bag Trainee
                          • Jul 2010

Freakin awesome!

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Wow! What amazing remarks, Alan. Thank you so much for the input and fantastic insight to punch-drumming!

YES! Just Do It! When I'm under the board and in that special zone, I indeed let the hands and the bag make the moves… love that zone! It's a real high. btw…I don't kid myself. I know I'm not always on the beat. And I certainly don't profess to know all the punches or combos… Heck, I may NEVER learn a lot of the punches! But, I'll keep trying'…

You really opened my eyes to the philosophical side of what I am doing... thanks for the references to Mushin...

To be honest, I have very limited knowledge of martial arts, and eastern philosophy, etc. ... I saw some of the Last Samurai..., but never related to it... before this. Now you're piquing my curiosity!...

My most recent workout yesterday (with music) was doing just that... keeping a repetitive bag beat... and, consistency. (The upload of this recent vid seems to have gotten a little wacked in translation – audio doesn't sync up with the video for some reason, but might give you an idea of my repetitive moves.) And, I think I'm using a different beat. Or, maybe it's due to the fact I'm on a wood platform. But, whatever it is, I liked it enough to post. I' hooked on hearing the beat...

Try the Smaller Yellow Title 8x5 to this song. I'm hearing you a mostly behind the beat on this song, probably due to the bigger bag size. You could also hit this one a bit harder to keep up, but it might be easier to use the smaller bag. you combo's and bag beat were OK, but just a bit slow at times.
                            Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• MsDeville

• Oct 2009

Thanks for the advice.

Try the Smaller Yellow Title 8x5 to this song. I'm hearing you a mostly behind the beat on this song, probably due to the bigger bag size. You could also hit this one a bit harder to keep up, but it might be easier to use the smaller bag. you combo's and bag beat were OK, but just a bit slow at times.
                              Yes. As hard as I tried to keep up, I seemed to drag a bit (on the Steve Miller Song)... As much as I have grown to like that black Everlast Elite bag – hated it 8 months ago – I think I have much more control over the little yellow Title bag when punching to a song with a fast beat – much quicker rebounding. I'll save the Elite for the slower stuff...

I tend to keep the Title bag under-inflated – I feel like I can control it better. Went out last night and punched on the steel platform with the S-hook and the Title... much more rewarding workout/punch-drumming session.

I appreciate the advice, Alan. Thanks again!

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                              Working...