• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jack
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • Apr 2011

Newbie Question Bag gloves hand care

Hi Forum,

I'm new to the forum and the world of speed bags. (I also hope this doesn't somehow post twice since I had a problem with my first attempt).

I've had some finger and hand problems but want to use my left arm more and get more coordination with left and right hands and arms. I've decided to start doing speed bag training sort of as therapy. (My middle finger of my left hand is fused and my right hand has had a slight tendency toward some carpal tunnel after years of computer use-- but I want to use my hands/arms and pound on something and get stronger

I just talked to Ralph (RP65) and he suggested I join and ask my questions. I just ordered a 24 inch everlast elite platform (24 inch, 1.5 inches thick) and was wondering if one of his ringside 9 x 6 bags might be a good way to start? He thought it might be. I'm after something easy on the hands. Or would it make more sense to go for a larger bag? Also...any suggestions on easy ways of taking care of hands (wrapping seems like more of a pain than I'm initially willing to do much of)-- maybe some good padded gloves? Any suggestions for something easy and yet helpful to hands?

Sorry if this is old hat to most of you. I'd appreciate any suggestions. Thank you.

Jack
  • 08speed3
    • Dec 2010

regular full gloves "not boxing, mechanic type gloves" should do the trick. also the bigger speed bags are easy to hit & get ur rhythm. good luck!

Comment

• Heppsan
      • Jan 2011

Hi, and welcome!!

there are also glove wraps or quick wraps who are easy to put on.
      Good Luck!!

Comment

• Tim
        Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

Originally posted by Jack View Post
        Hi Forum,

I'm new to the forum and the world of speed bags. (I also hope this doesn't somehow post twice since I had a problem with my first attempt).
        Welcome to the forum!

I've had some finger and hand problems but want to use my left arm more and get more coordination with left and right hands and arms. I've decided to start doing speed bag training sort of as therapy. (My middle finger of my left hand is fused and my right hand has had a slight tendency toward some carpal tunnel after years of computer use-- but I want to use my hands/arms and pound on something and get stronger
        Sorry to hear of your troubles. Hopefully the speed bag can help!

I just talked to Ralph (RP65) and he suggested I join and ask my questions. I just ordered a 24 inch everlast elite platform (24 inch, 1.5 inches thick) and was wondering if one of his ringside 9 x 6 bags might be a good way to start? He thought it might be. I'm after something easy on the hands. Or would it make more sense to go for a larger bag? Also...any suggestions on easy ways of taking care of hands (wrapping seems like more of a pain than I'm initially willing to do much of)-- maybe some good padded gloves? Any suggestions for something easy and yet helpful to hands?
        As someone else mentioned , all you need are thin gloves. Mechanics gloves are nice because they are readily available and are thin. As a plus they usually look pretty stylish. Some people use gardening gloves as well. Lastly, I think Title or Everlast have some sort of "Wrap" / "Glove" combo, its like wraps you wear as a glove: http://store.titleboxing.com/title-speed-wraps.html The downside to these is they don't offer full finger coverage.

I'd say any of those choices will work, grab whatever is convenient.

Bag Size - smaller, lighter bags will be less force on the hands. The difference between a heavy 10x7 bag (8oz) and a very small 6x4 (4 oz) are immense, because of the momentum and the force. I would recommend a 9x6 bag, it's a decent starting point, and not that hard to work with. You might want to move to a lightweight 8x5 like the Title Classic at some point.

Lastly - don't put too much air in the bag. It should NOT feel like punching a rock. 4Psi is often mentioned, but that's hard to measure. Just make sure you can easily push in the bag with your thumbs.

Sorry if this is old hat to most of you. I'd appreciate any suggestions. Thank you.
        Jack
        Good luck and let us know if you have add'l questions.

Tim

Comment

• Jack
          Speed Bag Trainee
          • Apr 2011

Thanks for suggestions

Hey... thanks, all of you, so much for weighing in on this. I know that the larger bags are supposed to be easier for getting going and finding a rhythm-- but it also makes sense to me what Tom said regarding the reduced impact from hitting on a smaller bag. I've decided to start out simply getting the 9 x 6 ringside leather bag from Ralph. I'll also look for some simple gloves, maybe get a pair that has been suggested,... and soon, when everything comes in, I'll be starting. Someday in the future I can decide if I want another bag. THANK YOU!
          Jack

Comment

• baglady
            Speed Bag Trainee
            • Dec 2008

Jack
            We just mounted a new 24 inch everlast elite platform (24 inch, 1.5 inches thick) on a dry-wall/wood wall.
            Just wanted to pass this suggestion along....we put an additional 2x4 cushion between the wood that came with the kit and the dry wall. My speed-bag friend highly suggested this for a dry-wall/wood wall.
            I think he said it makes for a more solid mount because the kit comes with hardwood boards that don't have much "give" to them...
            Anyhow, it worked out well and the platform feels real solid.

Happy bags to you,

Baglady

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
            Working...