X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MsDeville

• Oct 2009

DEVILLE'S 20-Month Progress Report & the Jacksons "Shake Your Body Down"

Soooo, I'm procrastinating about putting together a video demonstrating what I have learned since joining the forum.

I'm late with my "assignment" Roc. It was due last week.

I never was very good in school.
    I didn't mind studying, but I HATED doing the assignments.

Well, here's my progress:

Any and all advice is welcome.

Last edited by MsDeville; 04-16-2011, 12:44 AM. Reason: added something.
    sigpic Contact me anytime for information about Deville Swivels Email: DevilleSwivels@gmail.com
    I'm also on Facebook: www.facebook.com/DevilleSwivels | www.facebook.com/SpeedBagAddicts
  • speedbag4life
    • Jun 2007

Thanks for posting, Ms. Deville! Nice in and out elbows, and your rhythm is smooth and steady with the music-- you make it look easy. Great work!

Comment

• Roc Stone
      Speed Bag Guru
      • Oct 2007

... A+.
      sigpic'IRON HORSE, LIVE TO RIDE'

Comment

• Tim
        Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

Wow, 6 minutes + , I'm exhausted just watching. Very well done I like especially the part where you are doing inward double elbow and outward double elbow continuously around 3:54

Comment

• MsDeville

• Oct 2009

Originally posted by speedbag4life View Post
          Thanks for posting, Ms. Deville! Nice in and out elbows, and your rhythm is smooth and steady with the music-- you make it look easy. Great work!
          Thanks, SB4Life! Yes, the rhythm of the song with the bag is so hypnotic for me. I never can get enough of it.

It seems like I learn something new every time I go out to the "wood shed." I can't seem to find enough time under the board. Life gets in the way... So nice to hear from you. Bag on!

Originally posted by Roc Stone View Post
          ... A+.
          WOW! A+... Thanks Roc!!

Originally posted by Tim View Post
          Wow, 6 minutes + , I'm exhausted just watching. Very well done I like especially the part where you are doing inward double elbow and outward double elbow continuously around 3:54
          Thanks, Tim! The song really kept me going through most of it. But, I must fess up. This video is a compilation of about 3 different practice sessions.

In order to get the view from 'down under' I had to stop and place the camera at my feet. I have to guess at the positioning of the camera, so it's a little out of kilter. I managed to get most of the platform and bag in the shot.

This is the first time I've spliced clips together, as I try to do a whole song in its entirety with no editing, including mis-hits!

This song is really about 8 minutes long, and frankly, those repetitive in/out elbow combos are KILLERS for sapping my strength and endurance. I think one of my favorite segments of this video is indeed from about 3:54 to 4:06. But, I really have to throw my body into that move. I think it would probably be easier on a smaller bag, but, I'm still having a "love affair" with my Aussie bag. The rebound quality is so good. And I have to say, for me, it's very rewarding to hit a larger bag.

I might have to look in to purchasing a Cleto Reyes bag, though. It sounds like it has great rebound, as well. I'm just not sure what size to get... Thanks for the comments, Tim.
          sigpic Contact me anytime for information about Deville Swivels Email: DevilleSwivels@gmail.com
          I'm also on Facebook: www.facebook.com/DevilleSwivels | www.facebook.com/SpeedBagAddicts

Comment

• Zaza
            Speed Bag Guru
            • Apr 2011

Originally posted by speedbag4life View Post
            +1
            SWEET!!!

You sure do make it look easy. Really great stuff. What bag & bag size is that?
            Art of the Bag - A Speed Bag Story
            http://www.artofthebag.com

Comment

• novaspeedbagger
              Speed Bag Guru
              • Aug 2010

Way to go Ms. D!

Awesome Stuff Dee! A+++ for sure, especially for the fist-elbow elbow-fist combo's with one arm and alternating arms while repeating that combo multiple times is tuff stuff. I just got finished trying that and you make it look easy! Great job editing the video! The Mirror image has a great effect with speed bagging! Well done!
              Novaspeedbagger

Comment

• Inkspill
                • Dec 2010

Super impressive! Every time I see you on the bag your skill has jumped up. Inspiring to watch you work!

Comment

• MsDeville

• Oct 2009

Originally posted by Zaza View Post
                  +1
                  SWEET!!!

You sure do make it look easy. Really great stuff. What bag & bag size is that?
                  Thanks, Zaza!!

I've posted a picture of my BFF bag (Body First Fitness of Australia) next to my small gold-colored Title speed bag (which, by the way, I won last summer at the first speed bag convention in NJ). These are my two favorite bags, so far. They're about the same height (approx 9" tall), but as you can see, the circumference is different. I like the "bulbiness" of the BFF because I have a larger "target" to hit, so, I don't have to be quite as accurate while I'm learning new punches. (It measures about 22" around the girth of the bag.) It makes me work a little harder and longer...and I'm noticing that I have become stronger because of this.

It has taken me a while to reach this level. I still have so much to learn, but that's what keeps me coming back to the wood shed.
                  Attached Files

Comment

• MsDeville

• Oct 2009

Originally posted by Inkspill View Post
                    Super impressive! Every time I see you on the bag your skill has jumped up. Inspiring to watch you work!
                    Thanks, Inkspill. Practice makes perfect... And the addiction continues...

Originally posted by novaspeedbagger View Post
                    Awesome Stuff Dee! A+++ for sure, especially for the fist-elbow elbow-fist combo's with one arm and alternating arms while repeating that combo multiple times is tuff stuff. I just got finished trying that and you make it look easy! Great job editing the video! The Mirror image has a great effect with speed bagging! Well done!
                    Thanks, nova! Yes, that fist/elbow/elbow/fist combo is indeed a killer workout for me. This is my new obsession... trying to do as many reps of those as I can...

I must confess that I worked out on the gold Title bag a couple nights ago. That bag seems so tiny now, compared to the BFF. I have to be more accurate when trying to do repetitive side punches on it.

I think I'm ready to upgrade to a 7x10 Cleto Reyes. I guess I had better contact Ralph (RP65) and see if he has any left. But, I'm just wondering what size this is in relationship to say, the BFF, or the gold Title bag...

Thanks for the positive comments... I'm looking forward to your next punch-drumming vid, Kerry.

Bag on!

Comment

• Speedbag
                      Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Once again, Great Rhythmic beat and timing for what you're doing. The Inward Double - Outward Double Elbow combinations are tough and you do it well. You look to be jammin' and getting your groove on - but here are a few suggestions to "expand" your combo's.

Remember, The Inward Double Elbow (I-DES) and Outward Double Elbow Strike (O-DES) are each a double bounce beat sound (2 accented hits) and you can also use the Downward Double Elbow Strike (D-DES) with it, as well as an assortment of double punches from the front, side and back. ( remember, Front-Back, or Side-Side double punches will also work but require 2 rebounds inbetween instead of three. Just hit them softer because you need to slow the bag a bit to compensate for the lost (3rd) bag rebound )

I also hear a lot of 5 and 7 stroke fist rolls (F-Roll) that could fit into this song but I notice you did not use fist rolling. You can get into them easy of a Front Double Punch, (FDP), letting those two fists act as the first two punches of the F-Roll.

You might also try Front Double Punch (FDP) to Reverse Double Punch (RDP) in Double time, but it will require a rapid jump to faster movements as well as probably need the smaller faster bag.

This is a cool song for Punch Drumming. Great set, keep punching.!
                      Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
                      *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
                      The Quest Continues...
                      Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                      Working...