• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Manini
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • Jul 2007

Gold's Gym Bag Stand - Reinforcing a free standing platform

Aloha,

Great forum. Read a lot and am anqious to get started. Found a Gold's Gym Heavy bag/speedbag stand on craigslist for 100, so i had to buy it. Any opinions on this platform? I reenforced the speedbag platform with another sheet of 1/2 inch wood, going today to buy some speedbags. I will post a picture once I get it up and running. The thing I like about this stand is that there is an option to connect a double end bag, I get to have all three in one stand.
  • jaguiler
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Jan 2007

sounds cool -

there are some straps that you should consider installing - http://www.speedbagcentral.com/ssp/speed_bag_setups#C
    good luck with it ... !
    Last edited by jaguiler; 07-17-2007, 08:33 PM.

Comment

• Speedbag
      Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by Manini View Post
      Aloha,

Great forum. Read a lot and am anqious to get started. Found a Gold's Gym Heavy bag/speedbag stand on craigslist for 100, so i had to buy it. Any opinions on this platform? I reenforced the speedbag platform with another sheet of 1/2 inch wood, going today to buy some speedbags. I will post a picture once I get it up and running. The thing I like about this stand is that there is an option to connect a double end bag, I get to have all three in one stand.
      Hello Manini,

The reinforcement wood is a good idea. I can't really make any other suggestions until I see the unit. jaguiler makes a good point with the luggage straps for support, and the configuration of them really depends on how the floor pods and iron of the frame match up. I assume it is a single vertical pole unit.

Many Years ago, Golds Gym corporation used to purchase all their boxing equipment from a company called "Hitman", made by NDL sports. I did some promotional work on the speed bag for them for a couple of years. Here are a few pictures of that; on the bottom left in "chicago" at the NSGA, using their really nice freestanding floor frame. Just below that is their more modest freestanding home gym with the black Hitman Heavybag. I also got to attend the international Gold's Gym convention in Las Vegas in the Summer of 1995, where NDL displayed the hitman line to Gold's Gym Owners.

NDL dropped the Hitman line a few years later, so I guess golds gym developed their own line.

post a picture and lets see this unit....
      Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
      *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
      The Quest Continues...
      Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Tim
        Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

is it this one?

If yes, I'd say it will probably perform about on par with the Everlast freestanding unit I had. Free standing isn't ideal due to the add'l vibration you're bound to get, but you'll be able to make a huge amount of progress on this unit before you out-grow it. You'll be best off adding some weight to the top and using a smaller bag (9x6 or smaller). Smaller bags have less inertia and will cause less movement of the board). I had 200 Lbs of bagged sand on the base of mine, which is cheaper than using real weights. I also put a 50 lb bag of sand on top to minimize vibration.
        Last edited by Tim; 07-17-2007, 09:13 PM.

Comment

• Speedbag
          Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Way to go, Tim! I searched the net for a while and never found this.

I like this unit for several reasons. the wide thick angle iron vertical pole makes it easy to stick a vertical strap on. You could easily design a long bar of some type to go through the vertical pole and give some wider wings to attach horizontal straps to add side support. I would put that on the vertical pole above the board. This looks to be a very decent unit.
          Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
          *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
          The Quest Continues...
          Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Manini
            Speed Bag Trainee
            • Jul 2007

Tim, that is the one. I was using it last night and the bag seemed to loose speed quickly due to vibration. After reading countless posts on this site about vibration, I put some weights on top and now the thing is solid. The only down fall i can see about this unit is there is a little play between the top bar and the vertical stand, I solved this by wedging some wood to minimize any movement. Thank you everyone for your input. Would loive to get some input when i post a picture of my unit.

Comment

• Manini
              Speed Bag Trainee
              • Jul 2007

Finally got a chance to take a picture. But how do i post a picture? Not sure what they mean by URL. Thanks.

Comment

• Kyle
                Speed Bag Guru
                • Nov 2006

Originally posted by Manini View Post
                Finally got a chance to take a picture. But how do i post a picture? Not sure what they mean by URL. Thanks.
                go to attachments (which is the paper clip) and than upload file from you comp using browse than upload and it will be there.
                ________
                COLORADO DISPENSARY
                Last edited by Kyle; 09-11-2011, 06:33 AM.

Comment

• Manini
                  Speed Bag Trainee
                  • Jul 2007

Thanks for the help. Here are the photo's. Let me know what you guys think. Thanks.
                  Attached Files

Comment

• Kyle
                    Speed Bag Guru
                    • Nov 2006

not bad looks like pretty good freestanding unit
                    ________
                    The View Condo
                    Last edited by Kyle; 09-11-2011, 06:33 AM.

Comment

• Manini
                      Speed Bag Trainee
                      • Jul 2007

Thanks for all the help guys, just wanted to give you guys an update. Super happy with this set up. there is a hook on the bottom for a double end bag so i have been switching it out doing double end work, then heavy bag, and speed bag. Three for the price of one. Does vibrate some, but love the versitility.

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                      Working...