make a nova-swivel from shower curtain hooks Yo!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • novaspeedbagger
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Aug 2010

How To make a nova-swivel from shower curtain hooks Yo!

If anyone is interested in making ball hook swivels from shower curtain hooks, check out the link below that'll take you to a photo album on my profile page.

It's a fast swivel and very strong. I didn't have to drill the housing from the Everlast chain link swivel. The ball is smaller than 1" but it works well. I beleive they are brass.

I got the idea from the swivel Guru's below:

fingers, ukspeedbag, spdyTommyT...Thanks!!! You guys are ingenius!

Attached Files
    Great
    100.00%
    Good
    0.00%
    Not so good
    0.00%
    Sucks
    0.00%
    Novaspeedbagger
  • Speedbag
    Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Genius comes in many forms. Like Spdy Tommy T and the others, your punching ability and your equipment insight is par excellance.

thanks for the ideas.
    Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
    *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
    The Quest Continues...
    Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• novaspeedbagger
      Speed Bag Guru
      • Aug 2010

Thanks Alan!

Thanks Alan, that means a lot to me coming from someone who tests and reviews professionally manufactured speed bag products!
      Novaspeedbagger

Comment

• PIEFURZ
        Speed Bag Trainee

• Jun 2010

Originally posted by novaspeedbagger View Post
        If anyone is interested in making ball hook swivels from shower curtain hooks, check out the link below that'll take you to a photo album on my profile page.

It's a fast swivel and very strong. I didn't have to drill the housing from the Everlast chain link swivel. The ball is smaller than 1" but it works well. I beleive they are brass.

I got the idea from the swivel Guru's below:

fingers, ukspeedbag, spdyTommyT...Thanks!!! You guys are ingenius!

http://www.speedbagforum.com/forums/...php?albumid=52
        Novaspeedbagger

couldn't get to your pics using the link or find them on you profile. I sent a message to Tim, so maybe he can fix it. I made a couple ball hooks to go into original metal balls using 1/4" eye bolts. Wasn't easy bending the hook. Looks like you idea is easy. Does the eye on the bolt strike the ball socket or is the shank from the ball to the eye long enough to clear it? I think it was Skunk that had something similar for attaching the bag at SB 2010. Looks longer than store bought swivels. How do you like the action?

Comment

• spdyTommyT

• Apr 2010

Great use of material. Looks like some pretty good action in your video. You just can't beat the freedom of the ball-hook. Good job Nova!
          The Speed Ball should be in every hall

Comment

• novaspeedbagger
            Speed Bag Guru
            • Aug 2010

Great action on the swivel

Originally posted by PIEFURZ View Post
            Novaspeedbagger

couldn't get to your pics using the link or find them on you profile. I sent a message to Tim, so maybe he can fix it. I made a couple ball hooks to go into original metal balls using 1/4" eye bolts. Wasn't easy bending the hook. Looks like you idea is easy. Does the eye on the bolt strike the ball socket or is the shank from the ball to the eye long enough to clear it? I think it was Skunk that had something similar for attaching the bag at SB 2010. Looks longer than store bought swivels. How do you like the action?
            Hey PIEFURZ, sorry it took to long to reply The eye hook is long enough so the eye clears the socket. This design gives you the freedom to use different lengths on the eye hook, however, if you have too much of the eyebolt sticking up, the bored has to be reemed or a hole has to be cut through the board. I just took a grinding stone on my drill motor and cleared enough room so the top of my eye hook, over the ball, cleared and move freely.

Also, I picked up the tip from one of BillyMac's old posts, to rub a bar of soap on the ball. It stops the squeaking and makes it lighting quick. You will have to re-apply it often though. I keep a piece handy near my platform.
            Last edited by novaspeedbagger; 04-12-2012, 03:30 AM. Reason: spellling
            Novaspeedbagger

Comment

• novaspeedbagger
              Speed Bag Guru
              • Aug 2010

Originally posted by spdyTommyT View Post
              Great use of material. Looks like some pretty good action in your video. You just can't beat the freedom of the ball-hook. Good job Nova!
              Thanks T! Your swivel design post got me wanting to try and make a swivel myself. So, I just gave it a shot and it worked! Your wall mount from the old excercise bike is a fine piece of engineering also. Impressive!
              Novaspeedbagger

Comment

• PIEFURZ
                Speed Bag Trainee

• Jun 2010

Also, I picked up the tip from one of BillyMac's old posts, to rub bar soap on the ball. It stops the squeaking and makes is lighting quick. You will have to re-apply it often though. I keep a piece handy near my platform.[/QUOTE]

Will have to try soap. In a pinch, I've used saliva on a squeaky chain link. Didn't notice any improvement in speed but got rid of annoying sound.

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                Working...