You wouldn't like me when I'm angry.

-Rusty
    @ArcSwivel
    #ArcSwivel sigpic

Comment

• rdshackleford
      Speed Bag Guru
      • Oct 2016

I received a question about using larger mounting screws that my stock #10 screws, so I wanted to test the modification first and share the results with the group.

The question was would it damage the Arc swivel if you drill the holes wider to accept 1/4" lag screws. The answer is no, there will be no damage, and the strength of the swivel base is not compromised by the modification.

It is very easy to do. I used a simple hand drill and a 1/4" twist drill bit to ream the holes wider. You should, however, use 1/4" washers between the lag screws and the plastic. Make sure the holes are wide enough so the screws can be fit through by hand easily like this:

Then just mount the swivel, done.

Just for fun, I wanted to share some pics of my static load testing on this mod.

In the last pic, you see the result of a 340 lb static load. The swivel held fine, but the Everlast s-hook began to bend. This Arc Gamma is a real hulk!

-Rusty
      @ArcSwivel
      #ArcSwivel sigpic

Comment

• JoMan
        • Nov 2016

wow this is amazing!!!

I will be ordering at least 1...

Thank you for contributing to this incredible hobby that we do! =o)

Comment

• rdshackleford
          Speed Bag Guru
          • Oct 2016

Originally posted by JoMan View Post
          wow this is amazing!!!

I will be ordering at least 1...

Thank you for contributing to this incredible hobby that we do! =o)
          Do you have the eBay link? These forum threads get kind of long, so here is the link again, for everyone. All colors in stock.

-Rusty
          @ArcSwivel
          #ArcSwivel sigpic

Comment

• rdshackleford
            Speed Bag Guru
            • Oct 2016

#ArcSwivel

I took down the previous eBay link for a short time. A new auction link will be available soon!
            @ArcSwivel
            #ArcSwivel sigpic

Comment

• rdshackleford
              Speed Bag Guru
              • Oct 2016

A new eBay for Charity listing is here:

#ArcSwivel
              @ArcSwivel
              #ArcSwivel sigpic

Comment

• jaja6009
                Speed Bag Guru
                • Dec 2016

Have you been getting buys from non forum members? I am gonna get another one. I want plenty of backup swivels. Ever since I read how a members Deville swivel finally broke by the ball popping out I want to make sure that I have plenty of backups. My Deville has some serious wear on it, and I have no idea how long its gonna last.

This is a great time for swivels with 2 members right now making awesome ball hooks.

Comment

• rdshackleford
                  Speed Bag Guru
                  • Oct 2016

Yes, I have been getting buys from non forum members. I am trying my best to steer them to the forum for more information about the Arc before buying it. Ball hooks are not for everyone (hard to believe, I know)

I can set one aside for you until you order. What color where you thinking?
                  @ArcSwivel
                  #ArcSwivel sigpic

Comment

• jaja6009
                    Speed Bag Guru
                    • Dec 2016

I finally installed and used your swivel. I just don't like taking out and reinstalling the screws since each time the hole weakens.

Great swivel! On my setup it is a tad faster than the Deville. So far every bag I have tried fit on the tri-hook. My Ali Authentic leather though just barely will fit with its very short loop. It responds to my bags pretty much the same way as the Deville. The bags that on the Deville hit irregular do the same on the Arc. On some of my faster, bouncier bags, the added speed threw me off at first until I regained control by hitting softer. Well since I do not like to remove swivels, this is gonna be my swivel for a while until I get off my butt and modify my platform by drilling all the way through the board and installing bolts.

I will have to drill out one of the holes a bit larger as the bolt holes line up perfectly with the Deville except one that is a mm or so off.

I hit for around two hours on it today, trying out different bags and I am really happy with it. If I ever get off my butt and sell my townhouse so I can get a house I can finally setup my ultimate speed bag room. My dream setup is to have 3 platforms, 1 ball hook, one chain link, and one U-bolt and then a vertical board too. I do miss using a U-bolt and just doing a boxing triplet, as I found for myself that I am faster in that style with a U-bolt or chain link.

Thanks again!

For those wondering what bags fit here is what I tired.

Title Ali Authentic Leather
                    Everlast 4204
                    Leone
                    Title Gyro
                    Cleto Reyes
                    Paffen Sport
                    Everlast Elite Roo

Bags with long loops fit easily, those with shorter loops will with a bit of finesse and turning the bag sideways.

I will post if I find a bag that does not fit, but the Ali Authentic leather is a real pain to get on and off.

One more thing, the Deville is showing a lot of wear on the outside, but inside the lip that holds the ball in is in great shape! So the wear on the outside is not yet affecting the inner lip and she has plenty of life left in her.
                    Last edited by jaja6009; 09-16-2018, 06:22 PM. Reason: Added

Comment

• rdshackleford
                      Speed Bag Guru
                      • Oct 2016

Originally posted by jaja6009 View Post
                      ...The bags that on the Deville hit irregular do the same on the Arc...
                      I can't speak of the Deville because I don't have one. But my experience has been that many factors add up to produce an irregular rebound from a bag. A worn or poorly designed swivel can do it, an out of balance bag can do it, etc.

With the precision movement and wide arc of the Arc swivel, it is more likely an out of balance bag will become apparent. One quick thing to try is reverse the direction of the bag as you put the loop into the tri-hook. I find this improves some bags.
                      @ArcSwivel
                      #ArcSwivel sigpic

Comment

• Speedbag
                        Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by rdshackleford View Post
                        I can't speak of the Deville because I don't have one. But my experience has been that many factors add up to produce an irregular rebound from a bag. A worn or poorly designed swivel can do it, an out of balance bag can do it, etc.

With the precision movement and wide arc of the Arc swivel, it is more likely an out of balance bag will become apparent. One quick thing to try is reverse the direction of the bag as you put the loop into the tri-hook. I find this improves some bags.
                        I'd vote for an irregular, mishaped or out of balance bag. If a swivel hits perfect on a few bags why would its function change with any "other" bag. IMO, it has to be an issue with the bag that is actually warping the rebound. For a test, take that same bag on hit on a bunch of other swivels and see if you get the same issues.

again, just my opinion.
                        Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
                        *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
                        The Quest Continues...
                        Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• jaja6009
                          Speed Bag Guru
                          • Dec 2016

Yeah I wasn't blaming the swivel, it just made it apparent that the bag is the culprit when it does the exact same thing on both swivels. I just got a Title Perilous 5x8 and it is the most jumpy, irregular bouncing bag I have ever hit on. The 6x9 was similar but no where near as bad, but a bladder change fixed it. The Perilous bags do not have the circular glue down inside and are glued to the inner bag in a random sloppy way.

Getting ready to hit on some new bags on your swivel. I'm trying to find it's bag mate. For the Deville, I loved to hit on the Title Ali Authentic Leather 5x8 or 6x9. Looking for the Arcs new soulmate.

Comment

• rdshackleford
                            Speed Bag Guru
                            • Oct 2016

The Title Platinum Perilous has a very narrow loop. Somebody brought one to SB9 and people were commenting about how narrow it was.

Does the narrow loop slide down to one corner of the tri-hook? That may cause it to bounce funny.
                            @ArcSwivel
                            #ArcSwivel sigpic

Comment

• Speedbag
                              Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by rdshackleford View Post
                              The Title Platinum Perilous has a very narrow loop. Somebody brought one to SB9 and people were commenting about how narrow it was.

Does the narrow loop slide down to one corner of the tri-hook? That may cause it to bounce funny.
                              Personally, I did not notice that on the Platinum Perilous. I didn't particular care for the shape of the bag, but I didn't notice it sliding on the swivel. But then again, I didn't hit it long and Hard. would be great to get G-Town (Louis) and Matt's viewpoint on that. I think they got after it on the ARC.
                              Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
                              *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
                              The Quest Continues...
                              Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• rdshackleford
                                Speed Bag Guru
                                • Oct 2016

To be fair, all of us at SB9 had lots of beer by the time we scrutinized this bag.

tiny, tiny loop
                                @ArcSwivel
                                #ArcSwivel sigpic

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                                Working...