Which platform: Balazs I-Box or Balazs Non-Adjustable?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bagster
    • Feb 2011

Originally posted by aad03 View Post
    Hey Bagster, can you post a couple pics when you get that drum? Sounds quite interesting.
    Will do, should be here in a couple of days.

Originally posted by russ View Post
    Thanks all for the replies and advice. Really appreciate it. I just ordered an I-Box. :-) I also (based on posts in this forum) ordered a Powermill swivel! Pretty excited.
    Good choices, now all you need to do is get some Ringside bags from RP65.

@Bagster - how did you order the drum from them? Is it a custom request? Thanks.
    Yes, it was a custom order. Just call them up and tell them what size and what kind of wood and they will give you a price. Really good bunch to work with.

@aad03 - that would be great (bolt link). Really appreciate it. Thanks.
    I just went down to my local Ace Hardware and got some. The heads are for a straight srew driver instead of the allen wrench that the i-box comes with and chrome instead of black but they'll work.
    Bagster

Comment

• aad03

• Jan 2010

Here's that link: http://www.boltdepot.com/socket-products.aspx

I got the "socket flat head screws" in stainless. 3/8" x whatever length you need. I also use the "socket button head screws" to mount my swivels. Gives it a clean look.

Comment

• russ
        Speed Bag Trainee
        • Mar 2011

Here's that link: http://www.boltdepot.com/socket-products.aspx

I got the "socket flat head screws" in stainless. 3/8" x whatever length you need. I also use the "socket button head screws" to mount my swivels. Gives it a clean look.
        Thanks again!

Comment

• russ
          Speed Bag Trainee
          • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Bagster View Post
          Good choices, now all you need to do is get some Ringside bags from RP65.
          Do you prefer those over Jim Bradley and Reyes bags?

Yes, it was a custom order. Just call them up and tell them what size and what kind of wood and they will give you a price. Really good bunch to work with.
          What wood did you choose? Maple?

Comment

• Bagster
            • Feb 2011

Never tried a JB, and as for the Reyes, I only have the small one and do really like it so far. It is a little different shaped, more elongated (belly a little higher)than the Ringsides. I have read in the bible that the lower the belly the easier it is for linking but I am just getting to that point. I like them both so far. RP65 is working on getting his hands on some Reyes also so watch for his post.

I just asked them which type would be the heaviest for its size and they said maple. Heavyer=less vibration.
            Bagster

Comment

• Bagster
              • Feb 2011

Hey Bagster, can you post a couple pics when you get that drum? Sounds quite interesting.
              Here it is. Came ready to finish. Enjoy, I know I will (well maybe, I don't even want to drill holes in it it looks so nice, lol).
              Attached Files
              Bagster

Comment

• aad03

• Jan 2010

Wow, that is awesome! You may have started something.

Comment

• Tim
                  Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

x2 ... very nice!

Comment

• Bagster
                    • Feb 2011

I actually owe it to this old thread, http://www.speedbagforum.com/forums/...read.php?t=437
                    Bagster

Comment

• Avadia
                      • Nov 2010

Here it is. Came ready to finish. Enjoy, I know I will (well maybe, I don't even want to drill holes in it it looks so nice, lol).
                      Actually, that drum looks just like the drum that comes on the Balazs non-adjustable. The question is, do you save any money buying the i-box and that drum separately, over just buying the non-adjustable? I have to say that, although the adjustability of the i-box is a plus for those that need it, the Balazs non-adjustable has the strongest, most vibration-free steel frame I have seen on any platform. I have never really missed the adjustability, but then I have three platforms all mounted at slightly different heights, so can accommodate any bag I wish. The Balazs non-adjustable is my favorite, by far.

Comment

• Bagster
                        • Feb 2011

Originally posted by Avadia View Post
                        Actually, that drum looks just like the drum that comes on the Balazs non-adjustable. The question is, do you save any money buying the i-box and that drum separately, over just buying the non-adjustable? I have to say that, although the adjustability of the i-box is a plus for those that need it, the Balazs non-adjustable has the strongest, most vibration-free steel frame I have seen on any platform. I have never really missed the adjustability, but then I have three platforms all mounted at slightly different heights, so can accommodate any bag I wish. The Balazs non-adjustable is my favorite, by far.
                        Balaz non-adjustable $529 x your 3 heights = $1587

Balaz i-box $229 + Maple platform at $91+ shipping maybe $20= $340 x 12 '' of adjustability= (PRICELESS)

$1249 left over = 35 bags that average $35 ea.
                        Bagster

Comment

• Avadia
                          • Nov 2010

Balaz non-adjustable $529 x your 3 heights = $1587

Balaz i-box $229 + Maple platform at $91+ shipping maybe $20= $340 x 12 '' of adjustability= (PRICELESS)

$1249 left over = 35 bags that average $35 ea.
                          True, which is why I don't have three Balazs non-adjustables. I worked my way up to that platform. But I would still take my Balazs non-adjustable by itself over any other platform, including the i-box. The truth is, my first platform was the Everlast adjustable and for the entire six months that it was my only platform, I never felt the need to adjust it. So I figure, why buy a less-sturdy platform when I don't really need the option of adjusting it? That's when I upgraded to non-adjustables.

Personally, I do like having multiple platforms available, so I can play with different bag/swivel combinations with ease. Right now, I have the Balazs set up with a powermill and I am using smaller bags with it. I have the Everlast non-adjustable set up with the Ringside U-bolt and it is mounted a little higher to accommodate big bags. And I have the Everlast adjustable set up with the Powermill swivel and it is mounted in between the other two and can easily handle most any bag I have. And if my wife decides she wants to hit some, I can always lower the Everlast for her. So this setup works great for me.

Again, I am not knocking the i-box. I am sure it is a great platform and it is definitely priced right. But I don't think it can hold a candle to the rock-like stability of the non-adjustable.

Comment

• Bagster
                            • Feb 2011

Do you have a JB? The only reason besides the price is that the smallest I've seen that they make is a 25cm which is 10''. If they made one a size or two smaller I might get one.
                            Bagster

Comment

• Tim
                              Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

Personally, I do like having multiple platforms available, so I can play with different bag/swivel combinations with ease.
                              Definitely nice to have 2 (or 3) different bags hanging at once... I'll do some work on an 8x5, then walk right over to the other platform and duplicate it on the 6x4, no fuss with changing bags. Also right now I have a Powermill swivel up on one and a Jim Bradley on the other. So I can switch between the two easily in the same session. That really isn't practical with only one platform.

I frequently have people over to hit as well, as many as 3 people... in that case having multiple platforms is a necessity.

Comment

• toolboxdiver
                                Speed Bag Guru
                                • Jan 2008

Personally, I do like having multiple platforms available, so I can play with different bag/swivel combinations with ease. .
                                That's why I like the everlast swivel so I can change bags between rounds I also made a custom U Bolt with a everlast base and Jumpcannon made me a ball hook with a everlast base. I love changing bags a swivels to switch up my workout

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                                Working...