• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bigforrap
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • Dec 2011

Sameh's low-cost platform

Hey guys, new poster but I've been over this forum ten times over.

I always loved boxing but worked the heavy bag mainly. I've never managed to hit a speedbag more than once in a combination, so naturally I want to work at it. To add to the fun, I decided to build my own platform, primarily because the only affordable platform I could find in my region (UAE) seems flimsy.

All materials were salvaged (amazing what people bin).
    Drum is 35mm thickness, 400mm radius, two layers of plywood (joined by PVA and then cleaned up with wood-filler). Edges are rough because my jigsaw has a lot of recoil.
    I went bin diving for the wall brackets. Bag was given to me by a mate who left the country.

Things that cost me were the swivel hook, screws, bolts, wood filler.

Total cost: AED 97 (approximately 25 USD)

There's no vibration during use. I still may use a sandbag to dampen noise.
    Ideally would finish this and make it a bit better by running a bike tyre around the edge with contact adhesive, coupled with spraying the drum black. However, I'm leaving for university in Canada 6 months from now, and I don't see it as a worthwhile time investment.
    If it works, leave it be

Anyway, a big thank you to everyone on this forum, which has become such an amazing resource that I didn't even need to ask any questions! Any suggestions or improvements; tell me.
    Attached Files
  • ebozyn
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Oct 2010

Speed Bag MacGyver

Nice!

I always like it when someone takes the materials they have around them, and uses those materials to make something useful for themself, or someone else.

It's good to be a Speed Bag MacGyver.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by ebozyn; 12-26-2011, 12:44 PM.

Comment

• Speedbag
      Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Looks like outstanding work to me.

Welcome to the forum!
      Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
      *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
      The Quest Continues...
      Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Allentown
        • Oct 2010

Nice Set Up

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
        Working...