• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ebozyn
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Oct 2010

Moves & Combos Video

This is a fairly long Video, with ALOT of things going on in it. There are some pretty fun little moves and Combos going on through out.

The Speed Bag: Fighting Sports Pro 6x9
    The Swivel: Everlast Standard Speed Bag Swivel. Model 4440. (Plastic Ball, with S-Hook)

Here are some of the things that i think look kinda cool. (Truth be told... I got Lucky With most of these, and Sort of Pulled them Off.

2:16 - Phantom Spin.

3:07 - Double Bump Elbow Rotations. (Thanks Tim)

4:58 to 5:03 - Over Under Phantom Roll.

6:26 to 6:29 - Over Under Phantom Roll, With Back Hand Trap. (a trap is when you stop the bag dead. For those that don't know. I'm sure most of you do.)

7:00 - Touch Spin. (Thanks Dee)

7:25 - Board Trap, With Dragon Tail Spin (Thanks Dee)

Thank You For Watching.
    Last edited by ebozyn; 09-30-2011, 05:58 PM.
  • paranday
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Sep 2009

In addition to your jaw dropping skills and virtuosity, this video is just plain fun to watch. Amazing. Stuff. Sir.

Comment

• jimmyspeed
      • Apr 2010

That is some awesome hitting......thanks for the video...
      jimmyspeed

Comment

• Speedbag
        Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Baggin' skills, control, combinations, variety and elbow ownership is unreal! You're skill is second to none, no doubt about that.

Only disappointment for me is no bag sound. IMO part of the magic of the speed bag is the rhythmic patterns and bag beat. The visual display of your skills are amazing, but a non-stop speed bag music video without the speed bag sound just lacks the full effect. Me personally, I sure wish I could hear what all that baggin' sounds like without any music overdub. The beauty of the bag sounds can always speak for itself. (again, Just My Opinion, fWIW)
        Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
        *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
        The Quest Continues...
        Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• deano
          Australia's Elbow Wizard

• Jun 2009

seeing is believing

AMAZING,the best speedball display iv'e seen,the bar just went up a long way,7 mins plus of complete control .that should put a smile on a few dials,well done mate,BRAVO. from downunder.

Comment

• Johnny O
            • Apr 2011

Damn!!!

Ebozyn,

You are in a league by yourself. I gotta figure out how to slow motion YouTube just to see what you are doing.

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by deano View Post
              AMAZING,the best speedball display iv'e seen,the bar just went up a long way,7 mins plus of complete control .that should put a smile on a few dials,well done mate,BRAVO. from downunder.
              That was also the amazing thing. Seven minutes of non-stop speed bagging even at 3/4 speed, with few or no mis-hits or breakdowns is awesome.
              Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• ebozyn
                Speed Bag Guru
                • Oct 2010

Originally posted by paranday View Post

In addition to your jaw dropping skills and virtuosity, this video is just plain fun to watch. Amazing. Stuff. Sir.

Thank You paranday

That you found this video fun to watch makes me happy because that's how i feel about watching speed bag videos too.(and i'm pretty sure most of us do) I always like to see what other baggers are doin' and how their speed bag progress is coming along. (and what combos i can rip off )

Speed Baggin' is just a very fun thing to do, and all these videos are a great thing because of that...( and if we all had to discover every speed bag move and combo on our own, it could take forever) i believe It would be VERY boring if we didn't have things like this forum, and youtube, to get all the vids. The Speed Bag Bible (thank you Alan), and Speed Bag Forum (thank you Tim) are the best things that ever happened for us baggers.

anyways... enough rambling on. thank you very much for watching

Comment

• ebozyn
                  Speed Bag Guru
                  • Oct 2010

Originally posted by jimmyspeed View Post
                  That is some awesome hitting......thanks for the video...
                  @jimmyspeed. Thank you for the kind words, thank you for watching and you're very welcome for the video dude.

Keep On Baggin'

Comment

• ebozyn
                    Speed Bag Guru
                    • Oct 2010

Originally posted by Speedbag View Post
                    Baggin' skills, control, combinations, variety and elbow ownership is unreal! You're skill is second to none, no doubt about that.

Only disappointment for me is no bag sound. IMO part of the magic of the speed bag is the rhythmic patterns and bag beat. The visual display of your skills are amazing, but a non-stop speed bag music video without the speed bag sound just lacks the full effect. Me personally, I sure wish I could hear what all that baggin' sounds like without any music overdub. The beauty of the bag sounds can always speak for itself. (again, Just My Opinion, fWIW)
                    Thank you tons for the nice compliments AK

I agree, something is missing when the bag slaps and swivel clicks are not there. The deal is, i'm having problems with the microphone on our camera. It picks up either the sound from my bag, if the music is low, or if i turn the music up, i can't hear any bag and swivel sounds. ( there seems to be no happy medium) I don't know how you guys, and ladies get the balance of swivel sounds, and background music to both be heard more less equally, (all i can come up with is better quality microphones) so i just started adding audio tracks to my vidoes. I bag listening to music about 90% of the time, so in the footage i shoot while i'm bagging you just hear that nice clicking of the swivel, and the leather against the board, but the second i stop to do a trap, or a spin, or something that stops the bag beat, the music comes back in... the sound of the music cutting in and out was driving me insane.

The only thing i can think of doing is... while i'm shooting the video i'll wear earbud headphones, so i can still hear the tunes, (but the audio recorded with the video is just bag, and swivel) and then i'll put that video file into the editing software, and use the audio mixer to balance out the two audio tracks, the one from the video, and the one from the mp3 music file.

Comment

• ebozyn
                      Speed Bag Guru
                      • Oct 2010

Originally posted by deano View Post

Deano!!! The bag genius.

That is very kind of you to say man.

I don't know about setting any bars higher bro, i do know, i'm just another bagger (like all of us) that LOVES to speed bag, AND I CAN'T STOP!!!

Thank you deano, sincerely.

Comment

• ebozyn
                        Speed Bag Guru
                        • Oct 2010

Originally posted by Johnny O View Post
                        Ebozyn,

You are in a league by yourself. I gotta figure out how to slow motion YouTube just to see what you are doing.
                        Many thanks Johnny O!

If you are interested in watching any type of vids in slow-mo. you can Download them using this (or there are some others) online downloader/converter http://us.onlinevideoconverter.com/ (i've used it tons. it does have a few advertisments, but it does work) and then while wathing the video in windows media Playa, right click on the big play button ( the one with the big arrow on it, bottom center of the player. hehe like you didn't already know that.) , WMP has a slow-mo option.

thank you again for taking the time to watch the video man.

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by ebozyn View Post
                          Thank you tons for the nice compliments AK

I agree, something is missing when the bag slaps and swivel clicks are not there. The deal is, i'm having problems with the microphone on our camera. It picks up either the sound from my bag, if the music is low, or if i turn the music up, i can't hear any bag and swivel sounds. ( there seems to be no happy medium) I don't know how you guys, and ladies get the balance of swivel sounds, and background music to both be heard more less equally, (all i can come up with is better quality microphones) so i just started adding audio tracks to my vidoes. I bag listening to music about 90% of the time, so in the footage i shoot while i'm bagging you just hear that nice clicking of the swivel, and the leather against the board, but the second i stop to do a trap, or a spin, or something that stops the bag beat, the music comes back in... the sound of the music cutting in and out was driving me insane.
                          I understand what you are saying, but - that sounds like a training issue, not necessarily a "viewer or "recording method". issue. If you are NOT punch drumming to that music I just don't think it matters to the viewer what you're listening to... JMO

The only thing i can think of doing is... while i'm shooting the video i'll wear earbud headphones, so i can still hear the tunes, (but the audio recorded with the video is just bag, and swivel) and then i'll put that video file into the editing software, and use the audio mixer to balance out the two audio tracks, the one from the video, and the one from the mp3 music file.
                          +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I know what your saying. There is a happy medium to balance the sounds of the music and bag together so both can be heard equally. As you're finding out, There is much more to making a speed bag video clip with music included than you might first think. To me, It all despends on the real purpose of the music. Camera/microphone placement matters also.

This is assuming the Camera has the microphone on it and is about 4-8 feet away. On a tripod preferably.

I. If you're really Punch Drumming to the Music, trying to match the bag beat to the song - then the key to the music is location and loudness. For location, I like the music right next to the bag, just under the board to toward the camera. When looking at my bag in normal punching position the camera is to my right adjusted to my normal head high right side angle. My music play is usually just below the board on the right (camera side) of the board. (see picture on left, below). This allows me to quickly adjust volume so "I" can hear the music. (Tip: the faster the music, the harder you will punch, the louder the bag sounds and the louder the music has to be to hear the music over the bag.) Also, If I'm hitting to a song that is fast enough to demand an 8x5 bag, but I'm using a larger 9x6, I will have to punch harder to keep up and that will also mean the music has to be louder. a lot of times I will angle the music player toward the camera so the speakers point more directly at the microphone of the camera.
                          If the song is slower, you may not have to punch as hard to keep up (depending on how you hit...) and the music can be lower. If the music is too loud it may make the bag hard to hear for YOU and the Camera.

Normally I "test run" a song if I want to record it for keeps. by that I mean I hit to it a bit, then watch it back in the camera to check the volume and the crop view set up. If it sounds good then I do it. I learned that the hard way, throwing down some great takes to killer music only to find I could barely hear the music or the bag was way too low.

Another "trick" I use is to edit the music volume, increasing the volume of the parts of a song that are lower or hard to hear. Lots of songs have musical interludes or parts where the volume is lower and you strain to hear it while you're punching. I will open the file in my music editor and "increase the volume of that part, so it "gets louder" automatically. I also do that for a lot of drum solo parts, for the lower tom sounds often get lost in the bag rebound. Most of my favorite "older" CD's for speed bag were custom made FOR speed bagging. If I listen to them in a car CD player the volume changes become noticeable, but under the board it really makes it easier.

I also check to see if the music and sound is "cracking" the microphone. Sometimes if a song/noise is too loud the microphone "cracks" loudly on the track and shuts down for a few seconds. If this happens I turn the music down. The beauty of having a large CD player or sound system right next to you is that you can instantly change the volume when needed while punching. In my own punch drumming clips you see me do that occasionally. If I can barely hear the music, or the bag, under the board then I know the recording is being to bad for a viewer, because one or the other will be to loud and knock out the other.

Another Punch Drumming taping technique is to listen to the music through headphones (shown bottom right) and punch along recording just the bag beat, then add the song in later during computer editing. I think MsDeville does this to get a clean sound with the music. This requires syncing the music up exactly on the sound track with the punching track, not as easy as it sounds, and requires a bit more sophisticated video editing software. This is a great technique to use if you have a very sensitive or lousy microphone on your video recording device, and it handles music and bag sound poorly. At least you can add in the music later. I have personally never used this video recording technique but MsDeville proves it works very effectively. Sounds like you, Ebozyn, are doing that also, but adding in the Music and removing the bag sounds. or maybe I'm missng how you edit it.

That pretty much describes my concerns for punch drumming video creation.
                          +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

But some people work out with music in the background, not necessarily punch drumming to it, just having it on for workout motivation or backgound sound. Lots of gyms do that. That's fine but (IMO) makes for a disonant speed bag video. My ears (just me, now..) search for sync between rhythms and sounds. I can't listen to a song very long if the drummer is off tempo, nor can I watch a video with the sound, or bag, out of sync to a main pulse or tempo. That's my own auditory short coming I suppose.

2. If the purpose of the music in a speed bagging video is for background only, artsy effect or otherwise unrelelated to the speed bag, I will normally watch it muted because my speed bag brain is trying to concentrate on the bag and it's painful to fight unrelated music. But that is just me. I know that most people want to add "effect" to their music video with music ( a lot of non-forum members do this, make a bag video with music added...), but if it is really a speed bag video of "here's my update" and showing some punching skills or new combinations, the bag sound is far more important (to me) than any music added.

I have downloaded many video clips of speed bagging that I watch in Slo-motion to figure out what they're doing. Too bad the sound doesn't help because I stripped out their unsynched or god aweful music that has nothing to do with the bag.

Again, the views expressed above are purely my own. Keep working with it, Ebozyn. I hope you find a happy medium. But it sounds like you're just recording the bag sounds while punching. As a viewer, I don't really need to hear the music you were listening to UNLESS you are actually trying to punch drum to it at the same time. The incredible bag sounds of your routine can easily be a concert in itself. Again, JMO.
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by Speedbag; 10-02-2011, 02:40 PM.
                          Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Johnny O
                            • Apr 2011

ebozyn,

Thanks for the tip on that web site. Now I can slow things down and see what you guys are doing.

Comment

• marco_pol
                              Speed Bag Trainee
                              • Mar 2018

Many thanks Johnny O!

If you are interested in watching any type of vids in slow-mo. you can Download them using this (or there are some others) online downloader/converter http://us.onlinevideoconverter.com/ (i've used it tons. it does have a few advertisments, but it does work) and then while wathing the video in windows media Playa, right click on the big play button ( the one with the big arrow on it, bottom center of the player. hehe like you didn't already know that.) , WMP has a slow-mo option.

thank you again for taking the time to watch the video man.
                              To download video from YT I use https://mp3skull-tube.net which is much more simple in use without this annoying copy & paste url address to get any video you want.

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                              Working...