X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • INDYFIGHTER
    • Sep 2006

Carpal Tunnel???

I'm 32 years old and live a very attive lifestyle. I work 60 hours a week at two jobs. Through the week I work in a motorcycle shop pushing bikes, writing ro's and typing alot of damage estimates. On the weekends I bounce at a bar taking out and dumping trash cans, and physically throwing people out from time to time. I also ride about ten thousand miles a year on motorcycles and have been riding for fifteen years. Memorial day weekend I got into a fight with some hopped up crack head at the track the night before the Indy 500 and in my drunkeness I tried to get a fish hook (finger) in this guys cheek and he ended up bitting down on my index finger. It took three friends of mine a good cople of minutes to get this guy off of me. In the end I had a nasty open bite wound, a jammed finger and a swollen hand from hitting the guys before he bit me. Never went to the doctor. Kept it clean and watched for any sign of infection and after a few days on ice the swelling went down in the hand, in another two weeks the bite had healed up and I was getting feeling back in my finger. Then I couldn't make a fist with out alot of pain in the index finger. Well at first I couldn't at all but then it got to where I could. Week before last I was doing really well, had spent a little time back onn the bag and was squeezing a sqeeze ball all day at work trying to loosen up that finger. It hurt to do it but I just thought I could work though it.
    Saturday morning I woke up and it was like my hand was asleep which happens to me often. I laid my arm off the side of the bed and slept another half hour. When I got up the hand was still numb. An hour later no better. It's been that way for a week. I can bend the index finger a little but my thumb just won't bend on it's own. It will bend with help from my other hand and doesn't hurt to do so. It just won't bend at the joint on it's own. The prompt care at the hospital put me on anti-imflamitory pills I ran out of yesterday and told me to wear a wrist splint. Xrays of my hand showed no problems with the bone structure. I'm going for nerve test Monday and then have to go see another Doctor.

Has anyone had CT?
  • jaguiler
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Jan 2007

ha... I have it - I work on computers and do manual labor around the house... I got it about 3 years ago...
    this past winter I couldn't do anything with it for about a month and a half...
    it still hurts and bothers me.... but I still hit the bags....
    I take it easy on the heavy bag if at all.... the lighter bags are better for this.
    My pinky is also numb/irritated/sore as well... that is the Ulnar nerve.....

go to a good orthopedic surgeon - good luck.... it sucks but there is a reliable operation that will fix it - if it is carpal tunnel it is unrelated to your fight, it has been building up and now has reared its head.

Comment

• jaguiler
      Speed Bag Guru
      • Jan 2007

is there anyone else out there ?

Indy - how is your issue now ??

Comment

• JERSEY KID
        Speed Bag Trainee
        • May 2007

So you had no problem with your hand or arm until you pulled a Moe Howard move and stuck your finger in this guys mouth??? What were you thinking? That is the dirtyist nasty thing a human bite puncturing the skin and you didn't go to doc to get a tentnis shot? You got an internal infection forget about carpal Tunnel get a blood test while your at it.

Comment

• Chris M
          Speed Bag Guru
          • Mar 2006

Originally posted by JERSEY KID View Post
          you pulled a Moe Howard move and stuck your finger in this guys mouth???

Comment

• INDYFIGHTER
            • Sep 2006

Lol. I probably should get a blood test. Yeah, as far as my decision to stick my finger in someones mouth... lots of alcohol was involved. Not going to the doctor to get it checked out was just stuborness. I don't believe I have an infection and so far no doctor I've seen has thought so either. And prior to waking up with a numb hand on the 14th my hand was working fine, finger had healed up and all was good. My hand has not improved at all and it's going on three weeks. I had test done Monday and the doc doing my test said I didn't have CT I had high Median nerve damage which is more rare. I've bumped my elbow pretty good many times over the last cople years so I may have damaged it somehow that way. I go to my doctor on the 10th and he'll have my test results from the EMG I had Monday so hopefully he can tell me more.

Comment

• JERSEY KID
              Speed Bag Trainee
              • May 2007

Hey Moe!!! ynuk.. ynuk.. ynuk..

INDYFIGHTER,
              Hope it's nothing to serious and can be treated. I think @ 32 years old I still thought I was invincible too!!! I've been a blue color guy all my life and make my livilyhood with my hands so I can't really afford any down time I'm 51 now. At 32 you gotta take care of yourself, it's a long haul till your ship comes in.. if it ever arrives in port.

Comment

• Speedbag
                Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by INDYFIGHTER View Post
                Lol. I probably should get a blood test. Yeah, as far as my decision to stick my finger in someones mouth... lots of alcohol was involved. Not going to the doctor to get it checked out was just stuborness. I don't believe I have an infection and so far no doctor I've seen has thought so either. And prior to waking up with a numb hand on the 14th my hand was working fine, finger had healed up and all was good. My hand has not improved at all and it's going on three weeks. I had test done Monday and the doc doing my test said I didn't have CT I had high Median nerve damage which is more rare. I've bumped my elbow pretty good many times over the last cople years so I may have damaged it somehow that way. I go to my doctor on the 10th and he'll have my test results from the EMG I had Monday so hopefully he can tell me more.
                the injury and cause you describe above would not be indicative of Carpal Tunnel, which is usually more of a chronically caused entrapment of the median nerve in the central portion of the lower palm.

Originally posted by INDYFIGHTER View Post
                I've bumped my elbow pretty good many times over the last cople years so I may have damaged it somehow that way. I go to my doctor on the 10th and he'll have my test results from the EMG I had Monday so hopefully he can tell me more.
                Bumping your elbow probably did nothing to your median nerve, since it is located more centrally in your arm. You probably angered your Ulnar Nerve, which runs just under the olecranon and you might know it as your "funny bone". A lot of times this nerve starts "popping" over the olecranon, or gets "trapped" in the space where the bones move. Then it has to be relocated surgically. I had that done to my left arm back in 1994.

Apparently 6 million small circles from my left elbow ticked it off......
                Last edited by Speedbag; 08-02-2007, 05:38 PM.
                Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
                *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
                The Quest Continues...
                Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• INDYFIGHTER
                  • Sep 2006

Apparently 6 million small circles from my left elbow ticked it off......

lol That'd do it!

Thanks for the info! That's what it sounds like it is. The doctor who did my test said it wasn't as common CT. I've been reading as much about it as I can online but it sounds pretty straight forward like you said. Find the intrapment and surgically repair it plus recovery time. Hopefully I can get it done and be back to practicing the bag, and doing everything else again, by Christmas.

Comment

• INDYFIGHTER
                    • Sep 2006

Went back to the doc today and he gave me my test results. They say I've got something causing a problem with my Alder and my Median nerves. He's sending me for an MRI tomorrow and then seeing me again Tuesday to discuss surgery. The MRI is to make sure there is nothing causing it like a growth or tumor. He said it was odd I'd had this happen at my age.
                    I get the impression I'm in good hands, just hope in the end I have to good hands!

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                    Working...