• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dutchman
    Speed Bag Historian
    • Jun 2006

Alex Taylor Striking Bag

These don't show up to often, and apparently the owner knows that http://www.ebay.com/itm/ALEX-TAYLOR-...YAAOSwNphWYOa5

This is a mint new old stock bag that comes with a convertible Moosehead Whitely swivel (it has a ball and hook, plus a ball and rope, which definitely places it in the mid to late 1930's at least).
  • Dutchman
    Speed Bag Historian
    • Jun 2006

I've found that the majority of the people selling these bags have either inherited them or are pickers. The former usually have no idea what to look for. The pickers may or may not, as they are selling to a purely collectors market. Frankly anymore most of what I've seen made prior to the 1950's may look great but are not fit to use.

There is a developing group of sports memorabilia collectors that have the where with all to pay these prices. So be it. When I started collecting most of what is now considered "antique" or "classic" was still in regular use. Heck the first bag I hit on was an enormous J.C. Higgins on a Nonpareil rebound ring. Wish I had had the opportunity to obtain that from my cousin when he lost interest.

Comment

• Dutchman
      Speed Bag Historian
      • Jun 2006

Not much, other than the fact that Alex Taylor was a local NYC sporting goods outfitter. Information is a little sparse on it, I'm trying to dig some more up on it. It appears that it was in business from about the turn of the 20th century up into the 1940's maybe a little beyond. They carried a large line of in house sporting goods.

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
      Working...