• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dad
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Dec 2018

Bag Size

Question:
    Bible Style. In the learning process what SIZE bag would you give the most credit for teaching you how to control a bag?
    I understand that every bag has different properties that make it good for some but not for all, so I am mostly interested in the SIZE.
  • JoMan
    • Nov 2016

The larger the size of the bag, the easier it is to learn. I would suggest you look at the 6x9 bag as a starter.

Comment

• Dutchman
      Speed Bag Historian
      • Jun 2006

With bible style hitting , you can actually use anything from a 6x9 on up. Generally most start with either the 6x9, or the 7x10. I know of a few that have started with a "soft" 5x8. Larger than a 7x10 you will find that they are much slower and usually take a little more effort to keep moving. Some of us like that, others like the speed.

Comment

• Speedbag
        Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by JoMan View Post
        The larger the size of the bag, the easier it is to learn. I would suggest you look at the 6x9 bag as a starter.

Originally posted by Dutchman View Post
        With bible style hitting , you can actually use anything from a 6x9 on up. Generally most start with either the 6x9, or the 7x10. I know of a few that have started with a "soft" 5x8. Larger than a 7x10 you will find that they are much slower and usually take a little more effort to keep moving. Some of us like that, others like the speed.

I would say these are correct. I would suggest no larger than a 10x7 for and 11x8 bag will most likely extend beyond the end of a 24in board, which I don't recommend. There is not much difference between the 9x6 or 10x7 and if you can only get "one" of them I would recommend the 9x6 and underinflate it a tad to make it a "soft" 9x6 (only if it seems a bit too fast for normal punching.)

There key (too me) is knowing the difference between "learning" speed and force and "training" speed and force. When you are learning a new move, technique or combination....go slower.

When you are "training", or getting some fitness or endurance baggin', you can go faster for you are normally using the techniques and combinations you are comfortable with and have control over. It is hard to "train" with new stuff you can't control because you may miss too much due to timing or control issue, and break down a lot more, which sort of kills the training aspect of non-stop punching.
        Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
        *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
        The Quest Continues...
        Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• BagBoy
          Speed Bag Guru
          • Jan 2018

I can't add to anything already said but to agree with starting with a 6" and branch out from there.
          Certifiable SBX Attendee 2019

@SpeedBagaZebo

Comment

• dad
            Speed Bag Guru
            • Dec 2018

Thanks

Great information people
            Thanks

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
            Working...