X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MsDeville

• Oct 2009

MsDee punching to Jesse Cook's "Gravity"

When the mood hits me, I gotta go punch to music.

It is my medicine.

I really like hitting on my white Fighting Sports bag. I like its size and shape. It's heavier, and I like the control that I have with it. It just swings differently and it sounds different, too. (I would recommend this bag to an intermediate/advanced bagger, imo.)

For me, this bag requires a different style of punching. And, when I'm in shape, I can make it really move. But, I haven't been punching enough lately to get it going really fast, so I chose this song by Jesse Cook called "Gravity."

This video is filled with little mistakes (and it isn't the best camera angle – sorry Alan ), but I decided to post it anyway. There are no fancy combos, just lots of linking, with a few double punches and a couple of elbow combinations. The elbow strikes didn't work well because I haven't been practicing much lately, and also, I had the bag over-inflated in order to make it rebound better for me during this song. Anyway, here it is, for what it's worth:

Punching to Jesse Cook's "Gravity." I've been punching for 4 years and I am still addicted.

sigpic Contact me anytime for information about Deville Swivels Email: DevilleSwivels@gmail.com
    I'm also on Facebook: www.facebook.com/DevilleSwivels | www.facebook.com/SpeedBagAddicts
  • paranday
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Sep 2009

perfectionist !

I got out my FS 8x5 and punched along. Nice tempo, nice tune, nice bag, nice Denise style punching.

Comment

• MsDeville

• Oct 2009

Originally posted by paranday View Post
      perfectionist !

I got out my FS 8x5 and punched along. Nice tempo, nice tune, nice bag, nice Denise style punching.
      Yes, it's a nice tempo, don't you think? Thanks, Jim. This video is far from perfect. I am anxious to go back to my outdoor setup… I am really missing it. It has good lighting, better ambiance, etc. But, my dog, Jessie has a comfy dog bed at the base of it right now.

In this video I'm punching inside the garage on one of the "X-15" platforms that Raul built. I must say, it is a solid piece of equipment. No vibration issues. In fact, if you look closely, you can see a set of earbuds hanging on a hook on the far right of the video. They are virtually motionless even though the platform is attached to the post that the earbuds are hanging from.
      sigpic Contact me anytime for information about Deville Swivels Email: DevilleSwivels@gmail.com
      I'm also on Facebook: www.facebook.com/DevilleSwivels | www.facebook.com/SpeedBagAddicts

Comment

• Speedbag
        Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by MsDeville View Post
        When the mood hits me, I gotta go punch to music.

It is my medicine.

I really like hitting on my white Fighting Sports bag. I like its size and shape. It's heavier, and I like the control that I have with it. It just swings differently and it sounds different, too. (I would recommend this bag to an intermediate/advanced bagger, imo.)

For me, this bag requires a different style of punching. And, when I'm in shape, I can make it really move. But, I haven't been punching enough lately to get it going really fast, so I chose this song by Jesse Cook called "Gravity."

This video is filled with little mistakes (and it isn't the best camera angle – sorry Alan ), but I decided to post it anyway. There are no fancy combos, just lots of linking, with a few double punches and a couple of elbow combinations. The elbow strikes didn't work well because I haven't been practicing much lately, and also, I had the bag over-inflated in order to make it rebound better for me during this song. Anyway, here it is, for what it's worth:

Punching to Jesse Cook's "Gravity." I've been punching for 4 years and I am still addicted.

One can NEVER go wrong punch drumming to the music of Jesse Cook. I've hit to gravity many times. Great video, you interpret it nicely.
        Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
        *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
        The Quest Continues...
        Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Dutchman
          Speed Bag Historian
          • Jun 2006

Nice

Comment

• MsDeville

• Oct 2009

Originally posted by Dutchman View Post
            Nice
            Thanks, Dutch.

Originally posted by Speedbag View Post
            One can NEVER go wrong punch drumming to the music of Jesse Cook. I've hit to gravity many times. Great video, you interpret it nicely.
            Jesse Cook makes nice music to punch to. My rendition of this song is very simple and uncomplicated. I would love to see/hear a rendition of this song performed by a more accomplished punch drummer than myself. Any chance, Alan?

Comment

• Zaza
              Speed Bag Guru
              • Apr 2011

Love it! Great tune, tempo...and punching!
              Art of the Bag - A Speed Bag Story
              http://www.artofthebag.com

Comment

• Marlon
                • Apr 2013

Great post! Amazing how you keep it at speed while appearing to hit it so gently...I'm working with a 10 x 7 Lazer (just started bagging) and it seems like it's full of bricks when I watch you flick that white bag. (Make me feel better & tell me it's filled with Helium, will ya?)

I liked the angle....It helps me get a better, 360 degree understanding. Especially the way you pass from front to back.

One of the things I'm struggling with is where/how to hold my hands (especially the one I am NOT hitting with at the moment) and this gives me more to look at.

So I appreciate these videos, but you guys are NOT helping my confidence by making this all look so damn easy!

Comment

• Dutchman
                  Speed Bag Historian
                  • Jun 2006

What you don't see is how long it takes to get to this point. Countless mis hits, timing off, getting beaned in the face once and a while. We've all done it, it's part of the learning process.

Comment

• Marlon
                    • Apr 2013

Originally posted by Dutchman View Post
                    What you don't see is how long it takes to get to this point. Countless mis hits, timing off, getting beaned in the face once and a while. We've all done it, it's part of the learning process.
                    I don't doubt it for a second! I have already gotten a few kisses from my 7 x 10 and just yesterday I suffered a self inflicted uppercut to my nose while doing a front fist roll. (it hurt my pride more than my nose)

Can't stop though...too much fun!

Comment

• speedbag4life
                      • Jun 2007

Sounds like you're hooked.

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Thanks, Dutch.

Jesse Cook makes nice music to punch to. My rendition of this song is very simple and uncomplicated. I would love to see/hear a rendition of this song performed by a more accomplished punch drummer than myself. Any chance, Alan?

Hey Dee, I made this one for you. Hope you like it.

Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• MsDeville

• Oct 2009

Originally posted by Speedbag View Post
                          Hey Dee, I made this one for you. Hope you like it.

Thanks for obliging me, Alan. This was a nice gift to wake up to this morning. It has inspired me to run out to the garage and hit the bag around a bit before heading out to Mother's Day Brunch. I love this Jesse Cook's song, and you are a master at accompanying his music with the beat of the bag.

I received the peanut-size Balazs bag a few months back and I'm still trying to adjust to it. Can't seem to make it work very well with punching to music. It seems to swing differently from my other bags. (Different strokes for different folks. )
                          Last edited by MsDeville; 05-12-2013, 12:51 PM.

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Thanks for obliging me, Alan. This was a nice gift to wake up to this morning. It has inspired me to run out to the garage and hit the bag around a bit before heading out to Mother's Day Brunch. I love this Jesse Cook's song, and you are a master at accompanying his music with the beat of the bag.

I received the peanut-size Balazs bag a few months back and I'm still trying to adjust to it. Can't seem to make it work very well with punching to music. It seems to swing differently from my other bags. (Different strokes for different folks. )
                            Happy Mothers Day to you!

You are correct, the Lazer does have a different feel to it. I'm not sure if it's the location of the belly in relation to the taper and shape but I find my hands "slipping" on it a bit as if I was making contact a bit early in the rebound and hitting a bit underneath the belly... or the fact that it feels a bit heavier but fast. It seems to come back faster than my fist and brain tell me it should by the feel off the fist, if that makes sense.
                            Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Zaza
                              Speed Bag Guru
                              • Apr 2011

Happy Mother's Day Dee!
                              Art of the Bag - A Speed Bag Story
                              http://www.artofthebag.com

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                              Working...