• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Panete
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • Feb 2010

Help stabilizing DOMIOS platform

Hi everyone,

I'm new to this forum but I already see myself bothering you all with lots of stupid questions, sorry about that in advance.

I recently purchased a Domios platform just like this one:

As soon as I mounted it on the wall I discovered that the platform shakes so much that the bag doesn't bounce properly and loses the momentum after the second bounce.

I read most of the threads about stabilizing platforms but I wanted to know if you guys have any idea that would work best for this model. I'm unsure about using weights on top of it cos they might bend the platform fordward and make in uneven.

Any ideas?
  • sparrky37
    • Jan 2010

Honestly I would just use the circle platform and build you something for the structure here is one of my platforms I built. You can just attach your plarform to something like this.http://www.youtube.com/sparrky37#p/a/u/1/1KO3bVRUAnk

Comment

• MsDeville

• Oct 2009

Welcome to the THE Forum!

Originally posted by Panete View Post
      Hi everyone,

I'm new to this forum but I already see myself bothering you all with lots of stupid questions, sorry about that in advance.

As soon as I mounted it on the wall I discovered that the platform shakes so much that the bag doesn't bounce properly and loses the momentum after the second bounce.

I read most of the threads about stabilizing platforms but I wanted to know if you guys have any idea that would work best for this model. I'm unsure about using weights on top of it cos they might bend the platform fordward and make in uneven.

Any ideas?
      Welcome Panete! You've come to the right place for all of your speed-bagging needs...

I'm no expert, but, if I were you, I'd adjust the platform to its lowest-level setting and THEN mount it on the wall*. (This would mean that you'd want to make sure it's the proper height for you before attaching it.) This way, you'll be able to put some weight on top of the platform without it being "top-heavy," and believe me, it will make a huge difference in the speed bag performance. Also, I have found that a bag of sand is better than weights, as it won't add more noise/vibration like solid weights can.

A good speed bag that has good re-bounding qualities will also help you! If you're new at hitting the bag, I would suggest the large, red Everlast bag. It has a good rebound, it's easier on your hands, and it is a better training tool for "newbies" than the smaller bags.

*My platform is not adjustable, so I work around that issue by standing on a wooden palette and/or thick sheet of plywood (1m x 1m square?).

Good luck, and I look forward to your first video!
      Bag On!
      sigpic Contact me anytime for information about Deville Swivels Email: DevilleSwivels@gmail.com
      I'm also on Facebook: www.facebook.com/DevilleSwivels | www.facebook.com/SpeedBagAddicts

Comment

• ukspeedbag
        Speed Bag Guru
        • Nov 2007

Hi everyone,

Any ideas?
        Panete, welcome to the forum mate. So are you from the UK?

I don't want to upset you, but you should have purchased this platform: http://www.sportsdirect.com/everlast...latform-753149
        That platform you have, if I'm honest looks like your never going to make make it stable. It has nothing to say you can throw a load on top to reduce vibration. I would be very careful how much weight you put up because it looks like it would bend and probably crack the tube, nothing to support the top to the vertical wall mounted part, if you get my gist. Any chance you can return it and get the Everlast adjustable from SportsDirect.com. I know it'll be a pain, but you won't regret it. loads of us fellow baggers here have this platform and for the price of just £50 it's an absolute bargain. Also checkout the Everlast speedbag they are selling at £16, depending on your skills this is a superb bag.

Us UK baggers also use http://www.sugarrays.co.uk/shop/speedballs.html
        for our speed bags.

Good luck! And again welcome to this great place and the world of speed bagging, it's great to have another member on board.

Comment

• Panete
          Speed Bag Trainee
          • Feb 2010

Thanks to all

Hey, thank you all for your great advice, I actually set it up at its lowest level like MsDeville suggested but it still shakes like hell. I guess I will give the sand bags a go and see how it goes from there.

ukspeedbag, I'm not from the UK, Im from Spain actually, which is close enough
          I wish I had seen that one before wasting my money but I don't think I'll be able to return it so I will exaust all possibilities before buying a different one, although I might consider getting an extra bag.

MsDeville, my skills are pretty laughable right now so videos will have to wait 'till I can pull some acceptable moves

Thanks again to everyone!

Comment

• Griffin
            • Jan 2010

Lots of guys around here with more experience than me, but I've got to second UK's observations -- doesn't appear to be much you could do to help that setup. Maybe some triangular braces from the wall to the top of the platform...

Good luck!

Comment

• fingers
              Speed Bag Guru
              • May 2008

Hi and welcome!! from what i can see i would be tempted to open up the poles on top of the board and re-drill and double the thickness of the board/drum!! also i would find the right height and fix the poles directly to the wall with raw bolts, if all this fails i would go with UK,s suggestion and get the Everlast platform, hope this helps and you are up and baggin soon.

Comment

• ukspeedbag
                Speed Bag Guru
                • Nov 2007

I lived in Spain too! Marbella, where about's do you live?

Comment

• Panete
                  Speed Bag Trainee
                  • Feb 2010

hey UK, you used to live quite near me, Im from Granada, about an hour an a half drive from Marbella.

Yeah, I really should have looked out for this site before deciding to buy that crappy platform, it will probably need a lot of customization to make it work properly. I will give it a go during the weekend and let you guys know how it goes.

Comment

• Speedbag
                    Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Hi everyone,

Any ideas?
                    Hi Panete

We welcome questions, so don't worry about "bothering us" with anything you ask. We're glad to try and help.

the obvious problem is the single vertical pole system. A single center pole will just not hold a board steady with a bag pounding out around the edges away from the vertical stabilization. That is why the best units have TWO vertical poles running up along the outer sides by the boards edge.
                    In your case the only suggestion I could offer is to attempt a side stablization system, by attaching a wire or strap to the bar running over the board (board is attached to it), and running it back to the wall on one side of pole, ( attach it to the wall about 4-5 feet out from the vertical pole). You could attach the wire or strap (1) over the board and (2) on the wall in several ways, depending on the strap you use. The purpose would be to create a sideways pressure to hold the board still from the strap pressure. Even better would be two straps, one to each side. kind of like the stabilization straps I show here. Adding at least one strap (two is better) plus a small weight, (sand bag about 25 pounds) will greatly help your single bar setup. It does not have to go downward to touch the board or pull downward on it, but it does have to be tight enough to strain the top bar where the board is attached. I have used that method on several single pole systems, and it really helps to stablize the unit, but the best fix is a two vertical pole board system when you can afford it or have a wall to hold it.

Hope this helps.
                    Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
                    *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
                    The Quest Continues...
                    Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

hey UK, you used to live quite near me, Im from Granada, about an hour an a half drive from Marbella.

Yeah, I really should have looked out for this site before deciding to buy that crappy platform, it will probably need a lot of customization to make it work properly. I will give it a go during the weekend and let you guys know how it goes.

Granada and the Alhambra? I visited in the summer of 1972. Went to summer school in Madrid. Love it all. Especially the Flamenco! awesome music and passion. Great place to live, no doubt.
                      Last edited by Speedbag; 02-16-2010, 08:26 PM.
                      Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• ukspeedbag
                        Speed Bag Guru
                        • Nov 2007

Originally posted by Speedbag View Post
                        Granada and the Alhambra? I visited in the summer of 1972. Went to summer school in Madrid. Love it all. Especially the Flamenco! awesome music and passion. Great place to live, no doubt.
                        Madrid is a fantastic place Alan, I have spent lot's of time there myself. The best thing about Spain???............iLas mujeres tienen los mejores culos en el mundo! I picked up my Spanish from them!

Comment

• paranday
                          Speed Bag Guru
                          • Sep 2009

Originally posted by ukspeedbag View Post
                          ...¡Las mujeres tienen los mejores culos en el mundo!
                          ¡Ay Chihuahua, hombre!

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by ukspeedbag View Post
                            Madrid is a fantastic place Alan, I have spent lot's of time there myself. The best thing about Spain???............iLas mujeres tienen los mejores culos en el mundo! I picked up my Spanish from them!
                            Sí Mi Amigo. Yo no he olvidado a la mujers hermosa de España. Me Gusta Mucho. Algun dia Yo Quiero volver.
                            Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                            Working...