• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • novaspeedbagger
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Aug 2010

Originally posted by Mrs Mitts View Post
    Hey Nova,

Really enjoyed your video, well put together and the punch drumming sounds fantastic. Great track and you really added a great rhythmic, percussive sound to it.

REVERSE FIST ROLLS right on the beat! That has to take some doing

Looks like once you put this swivel up, there's just no excuses anymore...
    Thanks Mrs. Mitts, I really feel that I have improved greatly. Even the speed of my combos seemed to be increasing more.

However, after viewing this video by skunk I somehow didn't feel quite the same. lol!

Novaspeedbagger

Comment

• jumpcannon
      Creator of the Powermill Evil Swivel

• Jul 2010

Skunk is not normal. That guy is a freak on the bag. I almost dont wanna watch him cause its kinda saddening my skillz. LOL
      evilswivel@yahoo.com

Comment

• novaspeedbagger
        Speed Bag Guru
        • Aug 2010

Just following your avice AK!

Originally posted by Speedbag View Post
        Dead on beat and great swivel review. I'm punching it to several songs myself and like the sound alot.
        Thanks Alan! After reading the advice you gave me on one of your replies in the recent past, I have been able to accomplish a bit more variation in combos while hitting to music. I'll continue to follow your advice and continue to keep checking out the different practice combinations you offer in your book.

It's would be good to see a video from you with the new sounding swivel.....Do you have one out there that I missed?
        Novaspeedbagger

Comment

• novaspeedbagger
          Speed Bag Guru
          • Aug 2010

That's for sure!

Originally posted by jumpcannon View Post
          Skunk is not normal. That guy is a freak on the bag. I almost dont wanna watch him cause its kinda saddening my skillz. LOL
          I hear you JC! I gotta watch him because I do find my self improving after doing so. Before I saw a Skunk vid, I knew nothing but straight punching and circle punching. I learned linking from searching Youtube for speed bagging tips and saw Skunk for the first time. Then I saw AK and got the SBB and just kept on adding to the combos if I master them. Most of the time I'm stopping nose bleeds from getting hit with the bag in the face or dialing 911 after accidentally hitting myself in the throat while missing a rear straight punch cuz I couldn't catch up to the bag. lol!
          Novaspeedbagger

Comment

• Tim
            Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

Great vid Nova, very inspiring. I watched 30 seconds last night and had to dash out to the garage and punch up the bag (I have watched the entirety multiple times now). I continue to be in awe of your machinelike precision ... kudos!

Comment

• MsDeville

• Oct 2009

Awesome Punch-drumming!

Originally posted by novaspeedbagger View Post

Just got my new Swivel from jumpcannon, as soon as I installed it I went to work with it.

I am hitting the Everlast xs attached to the new Powermill. The swivel is excellent in performance however, my performance as a bagger didn't quite match up to the swivel. I guess that gives me a great excuse to do more baggin, so I can improve to the level of my new equiptment! Don't you just hate when that happens! lol

Awesome Job jumpcannon!
              And, an AWESOME punch-drumming video, Kerry! You make that bag sing. I've watched this several times, and love listening to it. Love your style.

I just got my Powermill Swivel this afternoon. I took pictures of it, it's so classy looking... and have already posted a picture of it on my Profile page. Jump did a fantastic job of manufacturing it.

I haven't done any punch-drumming with an all-metal ball hook/housing set up, so I'm anxious to see how I like it. Sure sounds purdy in your vid...
              sigpic Contact me anytime for information about Deville Swivels Email: DevilleSwivels@gmail.com
              I'm also on Facebook: www.facebook.com/DevilleSwivels | www.facebook.com/SpeedBagAddicts

Comment

• toolboxdiver
                Speed Bag Guru
                • Jan 2008

great video and review

Comment

• novaspeedbagger
                  Speed Bag Guru
                  • Aug 2010

Enjoy you new Swivel!

Thanks Dee! I hope you recognized my split fist segment due to the influence of your punch drumming videos! Thanks for watching! I'll be looking for a new video from you with your new Swiv!
                  Novaspeedbagger

Comment

• novaspeedbagger
                    Speed Bag Guru
                    • Aug 2010

Thanks!`

Thanks TBD! Thanks for your service Marine! I've been reading your post lately, good stuff! Keep on Baggin and Posting!
                    Novaspeedbagger

Comment

• Speedbag
                      Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Thanks Dee! I hope you recognized my split fist segment due to the influence of your punch drumming videos! Thanks for watching! I'll be looking for a new video from you with your new Swiv!
                      Your split fisting was exceptional particular when mixed with the single arm linking, for the sound remains the same and the fist sequence is the only noticeable change, which is a great visual effect AND allows you to expand your changes to another combo because you will have more choices when using two hands instead of one.

What I am most amazed about, after more careful review, is your use of the reverse position on the bag. I notice you are using the Reverse Double Punch (RDP) to add the pick up beat when coming in with a RDP by dropping a hand down and under the bag to come in on the RDP. I also notice you mixing 3 punch fist rolls in with Downward Triple Elbow Strikes (D-TES), again keeping the sound the same and repeating it with a different combo.

My only suggestion would be to work on the Side Double Punch (SDP) combo's because your exits are a bit off a few times. Not bad really - with a nice recovery, but it could be a bit cleaner. Also, start using the Side-Triple Elbow Strike (S-TES) to expand your side combinations to add the triple accent beat. A very nice combo to use is S-TES ' ' D-TES, which is a great echo for F-Roll x3 ' ' R-Rollx3.

Your punch drumming is super! Great progress on your bag skills and your control of them to music!
                      Last edited by Speedbag; 12-04-2010, 06:11 PM.
                      Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
                      *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
                      The Quest Continues...
                      Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• jumpcannon
                        Creator of the Powermill Evil Swivel

• Jul 2010

I just watched this video again without sound and just focused on the hitting. You are razor sharp on the skills. Really....you got total control. Impressed!
                        evilswivel@yahoo.com

Comment

• novaspeedbagger
                          Speed Bag Guru
                          • Aug 2010

You're a great teacher AK!

Originally posted by Speedbag View Post
                          Your split fisting was exceptional particular when mixed with the single arm linking, for the sound remains the same and the fist sequence is the only noticeable change, which is a great visual effect AND allows you to expand your changes to another combo because you will have more choices when using two hands instead of one.

What I am most amazed about, after more careful review, is your use of the reverse position on the bag. I notice you are using the Reverse Double Punch (RDP) to add the pick up beat when coming in with a RDP by dropping a hand down and under the bag to come in on the RDP. I also notice you mixing 3 punch fist rolls in with Downward Triple Elbow Strikes (D-TES), again keeping the sound the same and repeating it with a different combo.

My only suggestion would be to work on the Side Double Punch (SDP) combo's because your exits are a bit off a few times. Not bad really - with a nice recovery, but it could be a bit cleaner. Also, start using the Side-Triple Elbow Strike (S-TES) to expand your side combinations to add the triple accent beat. A very nice combo to use is S-TES ' ' D-TES, which is a great echo for F-Roll x3 ' ' R-Rollx3.

Your punch drumming is super! Great progress on your bag skills and your control of them to music!
                          Alan, I really appreciate your critiques. Your advice on my Easy living punch-drumming post ( http://www.speedbagforum.com/forums ...ead.php?t=2955) led me to the board to practice fist rolling and coming out of the roll in a timely way to keep right on the beat. I began to try and get the feel of it as you suggested, without counting punches. That's how I like to roll, anyway....no pun intended lol! That is...hitting to music while just getting the fell of the beat!

The result was many hours enjoyed punch-drumming to music and getting fitter, hopefully.
                          Sometimes I'll hit a whole song with one combo, alternating the technique from the left hand side to the right. In this way I find a base technique I can rely on to keep the beat of the song if I screw up while improvising. After awhile a song just develops it own flurry of comfortable punches. Then, the challenge is to throw in something more challenging without mis-hitting. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. But it's fun while getting in an awesome workout.

I'll take your advice and again put it to practice. I'm sure the results will provide more variation as before, and that's what I love about speed bagging. It never gets boring. All that's required is wanting to learn more. I'm pretty sure you pointed out in your DVD that the combinations are limitless. That really is what I'm discovering as I improvise, while hitting to music.

I've already started working on side double elbow strikes after reading your suggestions here. Thanks for watching and taking the time you did to examine my techniques and provide your expert feedback AK! I really do appreciate it and will apply it over time!

Honestly AK, what amazes me most about you is your personal interaction with your readers! I know that the speedbag forum provides the best venue for that, but I am not sure how many authors would put in as much time as you do interacting on their respective forums. It shows your true passion for speed bagging and for helping others improve their skills continually.

Keep on Baggin and Teaching!
                          Novaspeedbagger

Comment

• novaspeedbagger
                            Speed Bag Guru
                            • Aug 2010

Thanks!

Thanks alot JC. I did have quit a few misses, but I also have some decent runs without missing. I like to keep everything in the video after editing, because the music is recorded from the camera mic and I don't want to break up the music. I also want other baggers to know that we are all gonna mis-hit, but still post those videos. I've learned a ton from all video posts on this forum and I'd like to see more people postin without worrying about what other people think of their mis-hits. The videos really make this forum interesting to me not just the text posts. And all the positive support from everyone is certainly what keeps me coming back to read and view more posts from my fellow baggers!

Can't wait to see you hitting on your own Swivel my man!
                            Novaspeedbagger

Comment

• StevieMac
                              • Oct 2010

Thanks alot JC. I did have quit a few misses, but I also have some decent runs without missing. I like to keep everything in the video after editing, because the music is recorded from the camera mic and I don't want to break up the music. I also want other baggers to know that we are all gonna mis-hit, but still post those videos. I've learned a ton from all video posts on this forum and I'd like to see more people postin without worrying about what other people think of their mis-hits. The videos really make this forum interesting to me not just the text posts. And all the positive support from everyone is certainly what keeps me coming back to read and view more posts from my fellow baggers!

Can't wait to see you hitting on your own Swivel my man!
                              Thank you for posting the mis-hits. If I had to get a mis free video to post you’d still be waiting to see anything from me. After a lot of takes I just end up settling for more hits than misses
                              Last edited by StevieMac; 12-06-2010, 05:25 PM.

Comment

• novaspeedbagger
                                Speed Bag Guru
                                • Aug 2010

Sounds familiar!

I hear ya SM! lol Well put! That's a great way to describe a video post of a baggin session final cut!

Keep it baggin! Great job in your seven weeks of progress!
                                Novaspeedbagger

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                                Working...