Which platform: Balazs I-Box or Balazs Non-Adjustable?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • russ
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • Mar 2011

Which platform: Balazs I-Box or Balazs Non-Adjustable?

I'm having a hard time deciding between two Balazs platforms - the non-adjustable" and the i-box.

I realize one is adjustable and one isn't, but I'm more concerned about the overall quality, minimal vibration, etc. And I like the fact that you can get a 30" drum on the non-adjustable.

Thoughts?

Any help would be appreciated!
  • juxt
    Speed Bag Trainee

• Jun 2010

there is the more heavy duty adjustable platform, that has the best of both. only thing is cost.

Comment

• Tim
      Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

Originally posted by russ View Post
      I'm having a hard time deciding between two Balazs platforms - the non-adjustable" and the i-box.

I realize one is adjustable and one isn't, but I'm more concerned about the overall quality, minimal vibration, etc. And I like the fact that you can get a 30" drum on the non-adjustable.
      What size bags do you plan on punching? If you are punching really,really big bags you will need the 30" platform - big like 11x8 or 12x10, etc.

If you are punching normal bags 9x6, 8x5, etc. I'd recommend the adjustable Balazs.

Comment

• aad03

• Jan 2010

The I-box is an incredible value. You'll be kicking yourself if you go nonadjustable. The I-box, with some weight on top, is as solid as you'll ever need.

Comment

• russ
          Speed Bag Trainee
          • Mar 2011

The adjustable Balazs would be my first choice BUT it's way too expensive ($799). The non-adjustable is still expensive, but much cheaper ($499). The I-Box is adjustable and about half the price of the non-adjustable.

The I-Box is obviously their more "budget-conscious" choice. I'm guessing the drum is the biggest portion of cost? (the fact that the non-I-Box versions used maple hardwood).

I feel like everything from Balazs is quality, but I'm wondering if it's worth spending another $200 and sacrificing adjustability to get the hardwood version.

Thanks for all previous replies.

Russ

Comment

• russ
            Speed Bag Trainee
            • Mar 2011

@aad03 -- What about the 24" size and a large bag? Is that a problem?

Thanks!

Comment

• paranday
              Speed Bag Guru
              • Sep 2009

Thanks!
              Not many bags are so big for it to be a problem. If needed, you can add your own larger diameter drum. Strength is not an issue with the iBox. If you bought four iBox platforms, you could lift your car off the ground with one at each corner and work on it or whatever. Really, this is a beefy platform.

Comment

• Bagster
                • Feb 2011

I have the i-box and have ordered a 28''x2'' solid maple platform from Baird Brothers for 91.00 plus shipping, http://www.bairdbrothers.com/. They will make any size and thickness you want. The 28'' will fit if you mount it offset by 1'' or your could offset a 30'' by 3'' and get by.
                Bagster

Comment

• aad03

• Jan 2010

The drum that comes with the iBox is plenty good. I wouldn't even consider the iBox a "budget conscious" platform. It is a great platform. Don't put too much emphasis on the drum itself; it is very easy to switch out the drum if you even choose to. Some of us like to make our own drums, I think I've made 3 or 4 different drums to fit the iBox, in various thicknesses, and with various materials.

Comment

• Speedbag
                    Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Thanks!
                    The only "problem", and it's not a big one, is that a bag 11x8 or larger will extend past the end of the board. That will perhaps damage either the edge of the board or crease the bag leather. That will take lots of time but it's possible, and you will have to stand back away from the board a bit further.

Neither is a serious issue, Just something to be ready for.
                    Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
                    *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
                    The Quest Continues...
                    Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• aad03

• Jan 2010

Hey Bagster, can you post a couple pics when you get that drum? Sounds quite interesting.

Comment

• russ
                        Speed Bag Trainee
                        • Mar 2011

Thanks all for the replies and advice. Really appreciate it. I just ordered an I-Box. :-) I also (based on posts in this forum) ordered a Powermill swivel! Pretty excited.

Comment

• russ
                          Speed Bag Trainee
                          • Mar 2011

@Bagster - how did you order the drum from them? Is it a custom request? Thanks.

Comment

• aad03

• Jan 2010

First class setup, you'll love it. If you do decide to try a thicker drum, you'll have to get some longer bolts to attach the wood to the steel frame. These are hard to find, but I've gotten them from boltdepot.com. I can give you a link to the exact bolts if necessary. The Powermill is a legend in its own time.

Comment

• russ
                              Speed Bag Trainee
                              • Mar 2011

@aad03 - that would be great (bolt link). Really appreciate it. Thanks.

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                              Working...